Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, BlackBerry announced that it would be bringing its BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) service to iOS and Android this summer, seeking to strengthen its existing network of 60 million monthly active users with a broader cross-platform messaging solution.

SlashGear now points to a Tweet from T-Mobile UK claiming that BBM will be launching on iOS and Android on June 27.
Great news - BlackBerry Messenger will be available to download on iOS and Android from June 27th! :) #BBM
bbm_tmobile_uk.jpg
In an interview with CNET yesterday, BlackBerry Chief Operating Officer Kristian Tear also revealed that the company is in talks with other handset makers to offer BBM preloaded on their devices. Apple obviously would not agree to such a deal, but it seems that certain Android handsets may soon come with built-in support for the service.
BlackBerry is working with other handset manufacturers to get its BlackBerry Messenger service preloaded on to their phones, according to a top executive.

"There is interest from other handset makers," BlackBerry Chief Operating Officer Kristian Tear told CNET in an interview on Wednesday.
BBM's expansion comes as Apple has gained traction with its Apple-centric iMessage service and other cross-platform services such as WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger have accumulated significant user bases of their own. BlackBerry has clearly decided that the potential benefits of opening up BBM to more users outweigh the risks of BlackBerry device customers defecting to other platforms, but it remains to be seen whether the smartphone pioneer can help stabilize itself with such a move alongside its new BlackBerry 10 operating system.

Update 8:46 AM: Business Insider reports that the June 27 date is incorrect, with a source calling the claim "bogus".

Update 11:25 AM: BlackBerry has confirmed to Mashable that the June 27 date tweeted by T-Mobile UK is incorrect.

Article Link: BlackBerry Messenger Reportedly Coming to iOS June 27 [Updated]

Homeslice

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2009
everybody I know who had a blackberry now has an iPhone.

the ones that still do use whatsapp.

way too late

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Not sure why this matters..

Its a big deal for both Apple, Blackberry and anybody who uses the service or wants to use it from an iPhone (a lot of people). As the article says, more than 60 million communicate through their messaging system.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Happy with iMessage, and Whatsapp, and Hangouts.

iMessage has been rock solid for me and my buddies (a chunk of whom switched from Blackberries). Regardless of attachments sent. Being able to reply to messages from my computer is also a massive bonus.

BBM needed to be out before iMessage launched. You snooze you lose.

Last edited:

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
BBM is a highly reliable, highly secure, fully featured messaging system. I agree that they should have done this sooner but the fact remains we will soon have access to another excellent option for messaging.

I'll be downloading it.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
meh ... but apple needs to bring iMessage to android. im so annoyed having to reply via whatsapp all the time while im on my mac

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
I have no one I would speak too on BBM

I would allow no one with a BB to BBM me

I dont speak Neanderthal, this is 2013!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.