Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martymar112

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
I am taking a online class and need help downloading an exe file. My class deals with Microsoft office programs. So my class set up an EXE file that has saved files on it to edit and do changes with but i am having trouble downloading it or finding a free or cheap program that will convert these so i can get these word, excel, and powerpoint files on my computer.
if anyone can help i would appreciate it thats again
mike

jlehman

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2013
Generally .exe is an application or installer for a windows application. I think you are going to need Windows to open that or maybe someone could open it for you and email you the files.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Generally .exe is an application or installer for a windows application. I think you are going to need Windows to open that or maybe someone could open it for you and email you the files.

More likely that Weaselboy is correct and it's just a self-extracting archive if the OP is right that it contains a bunch of Office docs.

B

jlehman

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2013
Is this just a EXE of compressed files? You can use the free app The UnArchiver to open that.

You could try UnArchiver. Always a good free app to have. I've also used The Unarchiver which is found on the App Store. If it's an actual windows application you're probably not gonna be able to open it / install it though.

martymar112

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
it works

Weaselboy

thanks it worked like a champ. got it downloaded in sec!!

jlehman

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2013
More likely that Weaselboy is correct and it's just a self-extracting archive if the OP is right that it contains a bunch of Office docs.

B

Hopefully, just strange they didn't use a simple .zip file but some of these online courses and stuff have stupid programs. I work at a college and MyITLab is a pain for students with Mac. I just recommend they use college computers. I hate that software. Sadly it even works terrible in Windows too.

http://www.myitlab.com/

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
A fact which remains unfortunate since self-extracting archives can be an easy vector for viruses to attach themselves to.

B

This.

I remember the days of making self-extracting archives, in the 90's. In the DOS days. The big benefit was that folks didn't have to download and install PKZIP or UnARJ or LZH or whatever compression program you used. You just made it an EXE and everyone could use it. But every major OS has included built in ZIP file support for the past decade or more. Self extracting EXEs are no longer necessary and, as balamw indicated, potentially even dangerous.

jlehman

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2013
This.

I remember the days of making self-extracting archives, in the 90's. In the DOS days. The big benefit was that folks didn't have to download and install PKZIP or UnARJ or LZH or whatever compression program you used. You just made it an EXE and everyone could use it. But every major OS has included built in ZIP file support for the past decade or more. Self extracting EXEs are no longer necessary and, as balamw indicated, potentially even dangerous.

I guess i'm just a young buck. I've never seen a self extracting .exe in my life and I've worked with win 98 and OSX 10.5 till now. I guess i just always seen .zip or .rar when people send compressed folders or files. Good to know and have fun in your online course OP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.