Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Sad to get a new iPad Mini and find out I have no LTE here in Denver:

Attachments

• photo-6.PNG
    photo-6.PNG
    232.9 KB · Views: 153

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I get that it sucks but couldn't you have just looked at LTE coverage maps for pretty much any carrier before buying? Or at least went to an Apple Store near your location and run Speedtest? I'm not trying to call you out, I'm just wondering if those two options were available to you before you bought this.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Where are you in Denver? I was just there this past weekend and had a great experience on my AT&T iP5 with LTE. I was streaming spotify on LTE in the NW and along the airport corridor of I-70

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I get that it sucks but couldn't you have just looked at LTE coverage maps for pretty much any carrier before buying? Or at least went to an Apple Store near your location and run Speedtest? I'm not trying to call you out, I'm just wondering if those two options were available to you before you bought this.

I bought this 32GB iPad as an open box at Micro center so it was close to $100 off. I'm keeping it. At my house, I have always had bad coverage so it will likely be better when I am away.

Where are you in Denver? I was just there this past weekend and had a great experience on my AT&T iP5 with LTE. I was streaming spotify on LTE in the NW and along the airport corridor of I-70

I'm near Boulder Turnpike and Pecos.

I have a Nexus 7 using T-Mobile that I can always use for super fast internet at my house.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I live in Denver but in central Denver and work near downtown. I have AT&T on my iPhone 5 with LTE and get great signal. But I am getting a Verizon Mini this weekend because:

1) Verizon has better priced data (I am grandfathered unlimited on my iPhone and don't want shared),
2) Verizon offers hotspot on all data plans (AT&T only offers it on their highest iPad plan), and
3) Verizon from what I have heard has much better and more extensive LTE coverage in the mountain corridor and throughout the ski towns.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I live in Denver but in central Denver and work near downtown. I have AT&T on my iPhone 5 with LTE and get great signal. But I am getting a Verizon Mini this weekend because:

1) Verizon has better priced data (I am grandfathered unlimited on my iPhone and don't want shared),
2) Verizon offers hotspot on all data plans (AT&T only offers it on their highest iPad plan), and
3) Verizon from what I have heard has much better and more extensive LTE coverage in the mountain corridor and throughout the ski towns.

I considered Verizon but for me, I would have had to settle for 2GB data since they don't offer 3GB.

On my Nexus 7, I frequently used 3GB average on T-Mobile so AT&T made sense to me. I'll be heading to work later and be able to do some driving to see how well this works on LTE in my area. I've spent 6 years with AT&T knowing I had very little data in my immediate one block area. It's like I live in a dead zone and Verizon was the same way here.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I used to work within a stones throw from Coors Field and everytime there was a day game my data connection slowed to a crawl and my dropped calls shot up.

I personally don't know how much data I expect to use on my Mini but with AT&T offering 250 MB for $15 or 3 GB for $30 and Verizon offering 1 GB for $20 and 2 GB for $30 as well as the option to hotspot on either, Verizon makes more sense. The 5GB plans are the same, but I don't like that AT&T forces you to either get that or go MobileShare to get hotspot functionality.

That and the mountain access. But I do see your dilemma.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
This is just sad. Within a 5 mile area, I managed to get LTE once or twice and was able to get a screen cap of a speed test just once before it switched back ti 4G. I had to finally turn off LTE so I could get normal speeds of about 5-7Mbps.

Attachments

• photo-5.PNG
    photo-5.PNG
    253.2 KB · Views: 106
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.