Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_lte-250x215.jpg
Bloomberg reports that Apple will for the first time begin accepting trade-ins on iPhones in its retail stores, encouraging users to upgrade to the latest models and seeking to boost sales. Apple will be partnering with recycling firm Brightstar to offer the program.
Used iPhones collected in the U.S. will only be resold in emerging markets, where Apple's share is lower and demand for cheap devices is greater, said one of the people. That way, the resale of Apple's older models won't cannibalize iPhone 5 sales in the U.S., the person said.
Since 2011, Apple has partnered with third-party firm PowerON in the United States to offer Apple gift cards to users seeking to recycle their used iOS devices through the company's website, moving last year to expand the program to other countries where it has offered cash back. With the new program, the trade-in program will expand to Apple's popular retail stores.
The new trade-in program with BrightStar will only be available at Apple's retail outlets, letting consumers receive payments instantly and avoiding the hassle of shipping their older gadgets, the people said.
Apple's web-based recycling and trade-in programs have so far been relatively hidden away on the company's site, resulting in low consumer awareness. The new retail store effort is, however, likely to make a significant difference in trade-in usage, appealing to consumers looking for hassle-free credit toward new devices.

Article Link: Apple Looking to Boost iPhone Sales With New Retail Store Trade-In Program

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
Hand your old iPhone in and get a free bumper for your new one!

Or maybe it will be better than this. Who knows? Apple fans are always hopeful!

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
$199 for iPhone 5.
$149 for iPhone 4S.
$99 for iPhone 4.
$49 for iPhone 3GS.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
Eh. This is interesting but I would have to see the numbers. I've had great luck with selling my pervious iPhone's on craigslist.

mathewr

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
will people who are eligible for upgrade pricing be able to trade in his or phone and also get the upgrade price?

clickerman

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
desperate for sales

Apple is pulling every trick out of the bag to keep sales up until new products are released later this year. AAPL is down 1.6% so far today.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Eh. This is interesting but I would have to see the numbers. I've had great luck with selling my pervious iPhone's on craigslist.

there's no hope it will be comparable to craigslist. direct sales will always trump resale thru a 3rd party! this will be targeted to folks who want convenience, avoid hassle of craigslist, in exchange for lower $$

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Exactly. Apple or any business doesn't understand this and tries to seek the biggest margins. The only people would trade-in are completely oblivious people.

Yeah I don't get why apple wouldn't want to decrease their margins.

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Exactly. Apple or any business doesn't understand this and tries to seek the biggest margins. The only people would trade-in are completely oblivious people.

Apple knows. You're overestimating the average person that buys iPhones...

Hakone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2011
Southern California
I think it's more valuable to see privately or just use it as an ipod touch. I just think it may be worth more in its use versus companies turning around ane making $100-200 on your property.

Brett.F

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2012
Manhattan, NY

Or people that don't need the money or the added hassle of selling your phone on ebay or craigslist. Instead you just bring it with you when you buy your new phone.

The Deepness

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
Peace of Mind More than Money

I recycled my late-2006 17" iMac, late-2004 14" iBook G4, iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, and various associated plugs, cables, keyboards, and mice when I upgraded to my late-2012 27" iMac. I got $87.50 for the iMac and $105.00 for the iPhone 4. Everything else brought no value.

Still, the money was enough to get a Thunderbolt-FireWire 800 dongle, extra Lightning connectors for my iPhone 5, and a new Backup UPS. And I know that those devices will be recycled rather than end up in a landfill.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
$199 for a 5???

I can get a lot more on Craigslist.

Yes, you can.

But from a typical consumer's standpoint, this is what they see:

Paid $199 for an iPhone 5 in 2012.
not eligible for an iPhone 5S upgrade, but I want one....
The upgrade fee is $399 from AT&T/Verizon...
Apple will give me $199 to trade in my iPhone 5 I won't use...
(I've never heard of that Craigslist thing... seems too complicated...I might get ripped off...and it will take time and effort...I can do this Apple thing right here, right now, and get a new phone NOW)
Hmmm.... now only $200 for an iPhone 5S after trading my iPhone 5 in...
same price as getting the iPhone 5!
Looks like a good deal, I'll do it!

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

Or rich.

I'm okay with doing ebay as I'm somewhat tech savy. But if I can just hand over a phone to Apple, feel secure that they will properly wipe it, and walk out saving $100 as opposed to selling the same phone for $200 but having to create my ebay ad, wipe my phone, monitor the sale, then pack and ship the device (running risk of damage in transit), then take money out of my paypal account. Well $100 might not be enough. Especially when I have to realistically take into account the 25% chance I never actually do anything with the phone as I will keep it as a backup until I've got another backup at which point the phone has lost all its value.

I think this will be very very popular. I do not think Apple is doing this to boost iPhone sales. I think they are doing this to cut out middle men in a profitable transaction that is happening millions of times a month. This also might drive sales to the Apple store since Cell Stores were offering easy trade in process already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.