Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 6, 2013, 05:40 PM   #1
MrNapa
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Delete or disable mail.app?

Mail.app opens on its own even though it is not the default email program and I do not "open" or "click" on it. I also--I don't think--have any accounts configured. When it opens all I see is the "Welcome to Mail" page.



Major annoyance.


Does anyone have recommendations or suggestions on how to prevent mail.app from opening?



Much thanks,



Me



My system:



MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB

Serial Number C02J77DJDTY4

Software OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)
MrNapa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 05:49 PM   #2
desertman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Arizona, USA
1. Right-click the Mail.app file and go down to "Compress Mail". This creates a zip archive of Mail.

2. Delete the original Mail.app file.

Now Mail is completely disabled but can be brought back anytime by simply unzipping the archive file.

Please note that you will probably get a new Mail.app file when you let Software Update update your system. If this happens you should delete the old Mail.zip file, create a new one with the new Mail.app file and delete the Mail.app file again.
__________________
[i5 iMac; 2.7 GHz; 12 GB RAM; OS X 10.10.3 iPad Air; iOS 8.2 iPhone 4S; iOS 8.2 Apple TV 2; OS 5.3]
desertman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:31 AM   #3
wmike1503
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Unable to delete mail.app

Unfortunately this doesn't work - I am informed that the mail app cannot be deleted because it is needed by the OS.

Yet another example of Apple rubbish. Ho hum.
wmike1503 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:03 AM   #4
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmike1503 View Post
Unfortunately this doesn't work - I am informed that the mail app cannot be deleted because it is needed by the OS.
Go to the Terminal and type:
Code:
cd /Applications
sudo rm -rf Mail.app
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmike1503 View Post
Yet another example of Apple rubbish. Ho hum.
Sigh. It's very easy to set the default mail client. There are two ways offered here.
http://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-De...nt-on-Mac-OS-X
If that doesn't work, then you may have some other problem. Computers of all persuasions develop problems which don't in themselves constitute examples of rubbish.
If Mail is launching from iPhoto, not that there is a preference in iPhoto for the email client used to send photos.
__________________
2012 MacMini, 2.6GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, Fusion Drive | 2012 MacBook Pro, 16Gb RAM, 480 Gb SSD |
2009 MacBook | 2006 iMac | 2003 G3 iBook | Beige G3 | PowerMac 7600 | Mac IIsi |
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:23 AM   #5
wmike1503
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Never OS X fault is iit

Sigh,

Always nothing to do with the OS - and hey - let's use terminal - very advanced. Ho hum
wmike1503 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:32 AM   #6
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmike1503 View Post
Sigh,
Always nothing to do with the OS - and hey - let's use terminal - very advanced. Ho hum
I hope my answer solves your problem with Mail. If it doesn't, check back here with more information and we'll be happy to help.
__________________
2012 MacMini, 2.6GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, Fusion Drive | 2012 MacBook Pro, 16Gb RAM, 480 Gb SSD |
2009 MacBook | 2006 iMac | 2003 G3 iBook | Beige G3 | PowerMac 7600 | Mac IIsi |
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 08:36 AM   #7
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNapa View Post
Mail.app opens on its own even though it is not the default email program and I do not "open" or "click" on it. I also--I don't think--have any accounts configured.
...
Is it set to open at login? If so, disable that. Also, make sure you have actually quit Mail and not just closed its windows.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2015, 02:26 AM   #8
sunnyj
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
Go to the Terminal and type:
Code:
cd /Applications
sudo rm -rf Mail.app

Sigh. It's very easy to set the default mail client. There are two ways offered here.
http://www.wikihow.com/Change-the-De...nt-on-Mac-OS-X
I
I disabled mac mail with the method mentioned, but now I would like to activate it. How can I do this?
Thanks
__________________
2011 MBP 17" 16GB Ram|1TB EVO SSD|OCZ SSD
2011 MacMini 8GB Ram|OWC SSD
2009 MacPro 2x2.26GHz 8c|64GB Ram|GTX 780|5x2TB HD|OWC SSD|2x23" ACD
www.sunnyjhootyphotography.com
sunnyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2015, 09:04 AM   #9
Weaselboy
Moderator
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyj View Post
I disabled mac mail with the method mentioned, but now I would like to activate it. How can I do this?
Thanks
That does not disable it, it actually deletes the app. To get it back you will need to reinstall OS X. Just command-r boot to recovery and reinstall to get Mail app back.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:55 PM   #10
sunnyj
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
That does not disable it, it actually deletes the app. To get it back you will need to reinstall OS X. Just command-r boot to recovery and reinstall to get Mail app back.
Thank you Weaselboy. If I boot to recovery could I just reinstall the Mail app or will it reinstall the entire OS?
__________________
2011 MBP 17" 16GB Ram|1TB EVO SSD|OCZ SSD
2011 MacMini 8GB Ram|OWC SSD
2009 MacPro 2x2.26GHz 8c|64GB Ram|GTX 780|5x2TB HD|OWC SSD|2x23" ACD
www.sunnyjhootyphotography.com
sunnyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2015, 06:16 AM   #11
Weaselboy
Moderator
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyj View Post
Thank you Weaselboy. If I boot to recovery could I just reinstall the Mail app or will it reinstall the entire OS?
You will need to reinstall the entire OS, and as part of that it will put the Mail app back.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:16 PM   #12
chown33
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyj View Post
I disabled mac mail with the method mentioned, but now I would like to activate it. How can I do this?
Thanks
If you did Step 1 in post #2:
1. Right-click the Mail.app file and go down to "Compress Mail". This creates a zip archive of Mail.
then there will be a zip file named "Mail.app.zip" in the /Applications folder. Double-click it to unzip, which should restore Mail.app.

If you didn't make a zip file, then you'll have to do as Weaselboy wrote, and restore using an OS reinstall.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:17 PM   #13
sunnyj
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
If you did Step 1 in post #2:
1. Right-click the Mail.app file and go down to "Compress Mail". This creates a zip archive of Mail.
then there will be a zip file named "Mail.app.zip" in the /Applications folder. Double-click it to unzip, which should restore Mail.app.

If you didn't make a zip file, then you'll have to do as Weaselboy wrote, and restore using an OS reinstall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
You will need to reinstall the entire OS, and as part of that it will put the Mail app back.
Thanks guys
__________________
2011 MBP 17" 16GB Ram|1TB EVO SSD|OCZ SSD
2011 MacMini 8GB Ram|OWC SSD
2009 MacPro 2x2.26GHz 8c|64GB Ram|GTX 780|5x2TB HD|OWC SSD|2x23" ACD
www.sunnyjhootyphotography.com
sunnyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: Is there a way to disable the Phone and Mail app from running 24/7 on ios6? kalirob99 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 18 May 22, 2013 03:20 PM
Can't delete e-mails from Mail app Elijen Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Nov 18, 2012 08:25 AM
Disable Inline Attachments in Mail App That-Guy Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Oct 29, 2012 05:44 PM
Mail app - Can it actually delete my mail? happle iMac 2 Sep 28, 2012 05:16 PM
Mail app won't permently delete mail on computer Dragoro MacBook Pro 3 Jul 18, 2012 05:07 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2015, MacRumors.com, LLC