Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:55 PM   #1
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Excluding graphics from top-rated comments?

I would prefer if graphics were excluded from the top-rated comments of an article. Many use them to SHOUT words. One user used them today to put a graphic for b******t because the word got censored.

I'd prefer to just see text only in the top-rated comments section. Are there good reasons to include graphics there?
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 07:57 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
I don't think top-rated comments have any bearing on anything. It is not as though you can sort by top-rated comments on the site. At least not as far as I know.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 09:01 PM   #3
tech4all
macrumors 68030
 
tech4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NorCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
I don't think top-rated comments have any bearing on anything. It is not as though you can sort by top-rated comments on the site. At least not as far as I know.
I think they are referring to when you click the article link and the comments directly below it are the highest rated comments in the thread.
__________________
I use OS X because of Windows. And I use Android because of iOS.
tech4all is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:48 PM   #4
FloatingBones
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all View Post
I think they are referring to when you click the article link and the comments directly below it are the highest rated comments in the thread.
Yep.
FloatingBones is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:59 AM   #5
stridemat
Moderator
 
stridemat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Southampton, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingBones View Post
I would prefer if graphics were excluded from the top-rated comments of an article. Many use them to SHOUT words. One user used them today to put a graphic for b******t because the word got censored.

I'd prefer to just see text only in the top-rated comments section. Are there good reasons to include graphics there?
Posts with only images should be reported if there is no other text as they are normally deemed as frivolous. Your example of a censored word would also be against the rules, so please also report.
__________________
stridemat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 07:37 AM   #6
FloatingBones
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by stridemat View Post
Posts with only images should be reported if there is no other text as they are normally deemed as frivolous. Your example of a censored word would also be against the rules, so please also report.
Thanks for this note on policy. I have noted your message several times when flagging frivolous messages to be taken down. I have acquired a distaste for Facebook meme-wars; I appreciate that MR has taken measures to minimize their use.

I looked through the FAQ, but I didn't see this policy called out anywhere. Could this policy be explicitly noted in the FAQ? Could the automated tools be augmented to detect this kind of frivolous message?

I am tempted to suggest a Willy Wonka image, with text, in the FAQ to note this policy.
FloatingBones is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:32 AM   #7
stridemat
Moderator
 
stridemat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Southampton, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingBones View Post
Thanks for this note on policy. I have noted your message several times when flagging frivolous messages to be taken down. I have acquired a distaste for Facebook meme-wars; I appreciate that MR has taken measures to minimize their use.

I looked through the FAQ, but I didn't see this policy called out anywhere. Could this policy be explicitly noted in the FAQ? Could the automated tools be augmented to detect this kind of frivolous message?

I am tempted to suggest a Willy Wonka image, with text, in the FAQ to note this policy.
We cover this under Section 2 of the 'things not to do' section of the rules:

Quote:
Useless and one-word posts. Do not bother making posts with only one or two words (e.g., "cool" or LOL) or a smilie, or post simply to have the first reply in a thread. Such posts waste everyone's time and will be deleted. Posts saying "I agree", "+1", "this", "me too", or the equivalent are also routinely removed, so don't post them. If you aren't interested in a thread, skip the thread; don't post to tell us you aren't interested. If you celebrate making the first post in a news thread, your post will be deleted.
However, I will draw the other moderator's to this thread so we can consider making this more explicit.
__________________
stridemat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:47 AM   #8
FloatingBones
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by stridemat View Post
We cover this under Section 2 of the 'things not to do' section of the rules
Someone could mis-read that rule. If puts puts a witty message on a Willy Wonka poster, they may believe their multi-word caption doesn't qualify as a frivolous message. In my reading, what you contributed here is very different than what the rules say.

"Captions on an image count as one word. A message containing only an image (with or without a caption) is defined as a frivolous message."

Last edited by FloatingBones; Jul 15, 2013 at 09:40 AM.
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC