Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:00 PM   #1
nhlfreak98
macrumors 6502

iOS 7 beta?

I have an iPhone 5 and was wondering if I should download the beta I have a developer account. I heard that when you download betas they are kind of buggy like what's buggy about them? Does it get to the point where I can't use some stock apps?
Thanks
nhlfreak98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:03 PM   #2
SamGabbay
macrumors 6502

The iOS 7 beta is pretty buggy but at the same time, it isn't that buggy.

I wouldn't recommend downloading the beta on a device you use as your "every day" device.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:05 PM   #3
nhlfreak98
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGabbay View Post
The iOS 7 beta is pretty buggy but at the same time, it isn't that buggy.

I wouldn't recommend downloading the beta on a device you use as your "every day" device.
doesn't it drain your battery iOS 7? I have an ipad mini that's jailbroken but I don't wanna upgrade it though

Last edited by maflynn; Jun 7, 2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:08 PM   #4
randomdude
macrumors regular

We wouldn't know until Apple actually releases or announces iOS 7 and the iOS 7 Beta. The Beta will probably arrive on Monday or soon after that, but it doesn't have to. You could wait a few days after the release of the Beta to see what people say and then decide.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:09 PM   #5
nhlfreak98
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude View Post
We wouldn't know until Apple actually releases or announces iOS 7 and the iOS 7 Beta. The Beta will probably arrive on Monday or soon after that, but it doesn't have to. You could wait a few days after the release of the Beta to see what people say and then decide.
Yeah I could do that. Because my friend told me that he had iOS 6 beta last yr and some of his apps would crash and he couldn't use them
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:28 PM   #6
randomdude
macrumors regular

Yes, that will happen with some apps usually because developers would need to update for the Beta but haven't as their also working bugs out at the same time as you using them. Sometimes built-in Apps can also crash although is usually less likely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfreak98 View Post
Yeah I could do that. Because my friend told me that he had iOS 6 beta last yr and some of his apps would crash and he couldn't use them
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:29 PM   #7
nhlfreak98
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude View Post
Yes, that will happen with some apps usually because developers would need to update for the Beta but haven't as their also working bugs out at the same time as you using them. Sometimes built-in Apps can also crash although is usually less likely.
Do u have a chance of what apps do crash? Is it mail, messages or safari?
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:11 PM   #8
brendu
macrumors 68000

dude don't download a beta if you are asking these questions. Definitely not on a device you rely on to work. There will be bugs in each release, some will get patched, others will arise when the first set are patched. That is how betas work. Just be patient and enjoy it when it is out to the public and working the way it is supposed to.

I have a developer account and tried to download lion when it was in beta on my primary machine which was a big mistake
brendu is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:51 PM   #9
randomdude
macrumors regular

No. Sometimes it would be user specific, because of your specific settings and what not and would differ for every Beta.

If you're this worried then don't download the beta as you will find it hard to downgrade. Certainly not a proper way that Apple allows anyways.

Quote:
Old Jun 7, 2013, 02:31 AM   #10
ByteArt
macrumors newbie

iOS Betas

Ive used ever iOS Beta since 5.0b1 and have had no paralyzing issues. None of the apps I regularly use have has compatibility issues, and battery life, while somewhat variable never fluctuates more 1.5 hours. Some betas even had improved battery life over consumer releases. If you know how to restore your phone and cant wait 4 months for iOS 7 JUST DO IT.

^Peer Pressure
ByteArt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 06:26 AM   #11
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I have an iPhone 5 and was wondering if I should download the beta I have a developer account. I heard that when you download betas they are kind of buggy like what's buggy about them? Does it get to the point where I can't use some stock apps?
Thanks
Is your developer account paid for? If not, you cannot download the beta from the developer site. Secondly, if you ARE a developer, it really surprises me that you don't know anything about betas...in fact I would bet you are not an app developer, just someone who wants to "try" iOS 7 as soon as you can.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 06:29 AM   #12
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

FWIW I put the iOS 6 Beta on my primary device and it was very stable. No issues at all.

iOS7 will be going on my 4S right away.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 06:34 AM   #13
maflynn

If you're a developer then the beta is useful as you'll need to see how you need to change your code or do regression testing. If you just want the latest and greatest you'll be looking at a lot of headaches.

A few of points regarding the beta
  • Betas expire, so once you start on them, you have to keep upgrading.
  • They're unstable, meaning apps will crash (who knows which one)
  • Battery life will be impacted as its a beta and apple is releasing an unfinished OS to developers
  • You cannot easily downgrade.
If this is you're only phone or you need the phone for day to day usage, then avoid the beta.

As others stated signing up to for a developer account is not sufficient, you need to be a paid member.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 07:30 AM   #14
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816

I say go for it. You really have nothing to lose, as long as you have a backup in iTunes.

Report bugs when you find them, though.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 08:10 AM   #15
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
If you're a developer then the beta is useful as you'll need to see how you need to change your code or do regression testing. If you just want the latest and greatest you'll be looking at a lot of headaches.

A few of points regarding the beta
  • Betas expire, so once you start on them, you have to keep upgrading.
  • They're unstable, meaning apps will crash (who knows which one)
  • Battery life will be impacted as its a beta and apple is releasing an unfinished OS to developers
  • You cannot easily downgrade.
If this is you're only phone or you need the phone for day to day usage, then avoid the beta.

As others stated signing up to for a developer account is not sufficient, you need to be a paid member.

I agree with everything you said (well put, by the way), but it's not exactly hard to downgrade when Apple is still signing current ipsw.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 08:50 AM   #16
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603

Quote:
doesn't it drain your battery iOS 7? I have an ipad mini that's jailbroken but I don't wanna upgrade it though
I wouldn't sacrifice the JB ifI were you. that is, unless you must, do NOT upgrade.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:03 AM   #17
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
Is your developer account paid for? If not, you cannot download the beta from the developer site. Secondly, if you ARE a developer, it really surprises me that you don't know anything about betas...in fact I would bet you are not an app developer, just someone who wants to "try" iOS 7 as soon as you can.
There's so much hate against people who opt to do this and I don't get it. I wouldn't know where to start in regard to creating an app but as part of the agreement, I get access to the betas as a developer. It's not a scam, and it's not playing the system. It's no different than people joining a gym because it's cheaper than a tanning salon and only taking advantage of the tanning beds and not using the gym. Perhaps an inane example but it's true.

And people are going to bitch about unstable releases developer or not. It's (paying for a dev account for early access) not a big deal. People need to get over it.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:09 AM   #18
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Thanks
What's buggy isn't something that can be defined in advance.

Basically it could be buggy enough that your phone could be bricked and all contents erased. And there's no in store service in any phone running pre release software. So if it bricks and won't restore you are screwed until iOS 7 launches for the public.

Which is why when you sign up for your account they flat say don't install on your real world devices

----------

Quote:

Quote:
WE DON'T KNOW. We don't have the software, we haven't used it.

Until we do, we can't answer such questions.

That you don't get this makes the answer clear. NO DON'T DOWNLOAD IT.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:34 AM   #19
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBreatheApple View Post
There's so much hate against people who opt to do this and I don't get it. I wouldn't know where to start in regard to creating an app but as part of the agreement, I get access to the betas as a developer. It's not a scam, and it's not playing the system. It's no different than people joining a gym because it's cheaper than a tanning salon and only taking advantage of the tanning beds and not using the gym. Perhaps an inane example but it's true.

And people are going to bitch about unstable releases developer or not. It's (paying for a dev account for early access) not a big deal. People need to get over it.
Yes, but "these" people are the same ones who clog up the forums afterwards with "help my device is bricked" threads. "These" people should educated themselves a little better before dabbling in something they know nothing about.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:38 AM   #20
lewismayell
macrumors 6502a

I'm not a developer, but I have a developer account, will i be able to download the beta and ues it?
lewismayell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:39 AM   #21
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismayell View Post
I'm not a developer, but I have a developer account, will i be able to download the beta and ues it?
Do you have a paid account or the free account? If paid ($99/year fee), yes. If free, no.
Tyler23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:41 AM   #22
lewismayell
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
Do you have a paid account or the free account? If paid ($99/year fee), yes. If free, no.
Oh, no I only have a free account, I just looked above my comment after posting aswell, sorry for the waste of time
lewismayell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:41 AM   #23
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDRock1154 View Post
I agree with everything you said (well put, by the way), but it's not exactly hard to downgrade when Apple is still signing current ipsw.
Thanks for the kind words, and I'll not disagree with you on downgrading, but I will say we see too many threads here during the beta phase on people unable to figure out how to do so. So technically speaking its possible, but the process seems to throw a number of people for a curve.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:43 AM   #24
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Never understood why these same people come back and ask us to help when they don't know what they're getting themselves into. If you have to ask all these questions (many answers are clearly obvious), then by all means, go ahead and see what happens. You'll only learn by doing it. Just don't come back here and plead for help when you were warned.
rockyroad55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:19 AM   #25
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Thanks for the kind words, and I'll not disagree with you on downgrading, but I will say we see too many threads here during the beta phase on people unable to figure out how to do so. So technically speaking its possible, but the process seems to throw a number of people for a curve.
Agreed. I think the "brace yourselves" meme is appropriate for all the new threads that pop up about the beta next week.
aDRock1154 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7