Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:00 PM   #1
nhlfreak98
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
iOS 7 beta?

I have an iPhone 5 and was wondering if I should download the beta I have a developer account. I heard that when you download betas they are kind of buggy like what's buggy about them? Does it get to the point where I can't use some stock apps?
Thanks
nhlfreak98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:03 PM   #2
SamGabbay
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
The iOS 7 beta is pretty buggy but at the same time, it isn't that buggy.

I wouldn't recommend downloading the beta on a device you use as your "every day" device.
__________________
http://www.apple.com/
SamGabbay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:05 PM   #3
nhlfreak98
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGabbay View Post
The iOS 7 beta is pretty buggy but at the same time, it isn't that buggy.

I wouldn't recommend downloading the beta on a device you use as your "every day" device.
doesn't it drain your battery iOS 7? I have an ipad mini that's jailbroken but I don't wanna upgrade it though

Last edited by maflynn; Jun 7, 2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
nhlfreak98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:08 PM   #4
randomdude
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK
We wouldn't know until Apple actually releases or announces iOS 7 and the iOS 7 Beta. The Beta will probably arrive on Monday or soon after that, but it doesn't have to. You could wait a few days after the release of the Beta to see what people say and then decide.
__________________
 32GB Space Gray iPhone 5s, 2012 Macbook Pro, 16GB Black & Slate iPad Mini 
 An Apple A Day keeps the Virus Away 
randomdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:09 PM   #5
nhlfreak98
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude View Post
We wouldn't know until Apple actually releases or announces iOS 7 and the iOS 7 Beta. The Beta will probably arrive on Monday or soon after that, but it doesn't have to. You could wait a few days after the release of the Beta to see what people say and then decide.
Yeah I could do that. Because my friend told me that he had iOS 6 beta last yr and some of his apps would crash and he couldn't use them
nhlfreak98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:28 PM   #6
randomdude
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK
Yes, that will happen with some apps usually because developers would need to update for the Beta but haven't as their also working bugs out at the same time as you using them. Sometimes built-in Apps can also crash although is usually less likely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfreak98 View Post
Yeah I could do that. Because my friend told me that he had iOS 6 beta last yr and some of his apps would crash and he couldn't use them
__________________
 32GB Space Gray iPhone 5s, 2012 Macbook Pro, 16GB Black & Slate iPad Mini 
 An Apple A Day keeps the Virus Away 
randomdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:29 PM   #7
nhlfreak98
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomdude View Post
Yes, that will happen with some apps usually because developers would need to update for the Beta but haven't as their also working bugs out at the same time as you using them. Sometimes built-in Apps can also crash although is usually less likely.
Do u have a chance of what apps do crash? Is it mail, messages or safari?
nhlfreak98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:11 PM   #8
brendu
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
dude don't download a beta if you are asking these questions. Definitely not on a device you rely on to work. There will be bugs in each release, some will get patched, others will arise when the first set are patched. That is how betas work. Just be patient and enjoy it when it is out to the public and working the way it is supposed to.

I have a developer account and tried to download lion when it was in beta on my primary machine which was a big mistake
brendu is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:51 PM   #9
randomdude
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK
No. Sometimes it would be user specific, because of your specific settings and what not and would differ for every Beta.

If you're this worried then don't download the beta as you will find it hard to downgrade. Certainly not a proper way that Apple allows anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfreak98 View Post
Do u have a chance of what apps do crash? Is it mail, messages or safari?
__________________
 32GB Space Gray iPhone 5s, 2012 Macbook Pro, 16GB Black & Slate iPad Mini 
 An Apple A Day keeps the Virus Away 
randomdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 02:31 AM   #10
ByteArt
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
iOS Betas

Ive used ever iOS Beta since 5.0b1 and have had no paralyzing issues. None of the apps I regularly use have has compatibility issues, and battery life, while somewhat variable never fluctuates more 1.5 hours. Some betas even had improved battery life over consumer releases. If you know how to restore your phone and cant wait 4 months for iOS 7 JUST DO IT.

^Peer Pressure
ByteArt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 06:26 AM   #11
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfreak98 View Post
I have an iPhone 5 and was wondering if I should download the beta I have a developer account. I heard that when you download betas they are kind of buggy like what's buggy about them? Does it get to the point where I can't use some stock apps?
Thanks
Is your developer account paid for? If not, you cannot download the beta from the developer site. Secondly, if you ARE a developer, it really surprises me that you don't know anything about betas...in fact I would bet you are not an app developer, just someone who wants to "try" iOS 7 as soon as you can.
__________________
W2P KLD talking...what's your handle, WR2 GFO?
Defender2010 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 06:29 AM   #12
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
FWIW I put the iOS 6 Beta on my primary device and it was very stable. No issues at all.

iOS7 will be going on my 4S right away.
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 06:34 AM   #13
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
If you're a developer then the beta is useful as you'll need to see how you need to change your code or do regression testing. If you just want the latest and greatest you'll be looking at a lot of headaches.

A few of points regarding the beta
  • Betas expire, so once you start on them, you have to keep upgrading.
  • They're unstable, meaning apps will crash (who knows which one)
  • Battery life will be impacted as its a beta and apple is releasing an unfinished OS to developers
  • You cannot easily downgrade.
If this is you're only phone or you need the phone for day to day usage, then avoid the beta.

As others stated signing up to for a developer account is not sufficient, you need to be a paid member.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 07:30 AM   #14
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816
 
aDRock1154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
I say go for it. You really have nothing to lose, as long as you have a backup in iTunes.

Report bugs when you find them, though.
__________________
Mid 2012 MacBook Air 13.3", 1.8GHz, 256GB | iPhone 6 Plus 64GB | iPhone 5S 64GB | iPhone 5 64GB | iPhone 4S 64GB | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme
aDRock1154 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 08:10 AM   #15
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816
 
aDRock1154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
If you're a developer then the beta is useful as you'll need to see how you need to change your code or do regression testing. If you just want the latest and greatest you'll be looking at a lot of headaches.

A few of points regarding the beta
  • Betas expire, so once you start on them, you have to keep upgrading.
  • They're unstable, meaning apps will crash (who knows which one)
  • Battery life will be impacted as its a beta and apple is releasing an unfinished OS to developers
  • You cannot easily downgrade.
If this is you're only phone or you need the phone for day to day usage, then avoid the beta.

As others stated signing up to for a developer account is not sufficient, you need to be a paid member.

I agree with everything you said (well put, by the way), but it's not exactly hard to downgrade when Apple is still signing current ipsw.
__________________
Mid 2012 MacBook Air 13.3", 1.8GHz, 256GB | iPhone 6 Plus 64GB | iPhone 5S 64GB | iPhone 5 64GB | iPhone 4S 64GB | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme
aDRock1154 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 08:50 AM   #16
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfreak98 View Post
doesn't it drain your battery iOS 7? I have an ipad mini that's jailbroken but I don't wanna upgrade it though
I wouldn't sacrifice the JB ifI were you. that is, unless you must, do NOT upgrade.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:03 AM   #17
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020
 
iBreatheApple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender2010 View Post
Is your developer account paid for? If not, you cannot download the beta from the developer site. Secondly, if you ARE a developer, it really surprises me that you don't know anything about betas...in fact I would bet you are not an app developer, just someone who wants to "try" iOS 7 as soon as you can.
There's so much hate against people who opt to do this and I don't get it. I wouldn't know where to start in regard to creating an app but as part of the agreement, I get access to the betas as a developer. It's not a scam, and it's not playing the system. It's no different than people joining a gym because it's cheaper than a tanning salon and only taking advantage of the tanning beds and not using the gym. Perhaps an inane example but it's true.

And people are going to bitch about unstable releases developer or not. It's (paying for a dev account for early access) not a big deal. People need to get over it.
__________________
Steven Jobs was nothing less than brilliant. His vision to change the world was genuinely inspiring.
iBreatheApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:09 AM   #18
charlituna
macrumors G3
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfreak98 View Post
I have an iPhone 5 and was wondering if I should download the beta I have a developer account. I heard that when you download betas they are kind of buggy like what's buggy about them? Does it get to the point where I can't use some stock apps?
Thanks
What's buggy isn't something that can be defined in advance.

Basically it could be buggy enough that your phone could be bricked and all contents erased. And there's no in store service in any phone running pre release software. So if it bricks and won't restore you are screwed until iOS 7 launches for the public.

Which is why when you sign up for your account they flat say don't install on your real world devices

----------


Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfreak98 View Post
doesn't it drain your battery iOS 7? I have an ipad mini that's jailbroken but I don't wanna upgrade it though

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfreak98 View Post
Do u have a chance of what apps do crash? Is it mail, messages or safari?
WE DON'T KNOW. We don't have the software, we haven't used it.

Until we do, we can't answer such questions.

That you don't get this makes the answer clear. NO DON'T DOWNLOAD IT.
__________________
Return of the Non Tech's Wish List
(She's family so I'm biased )
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:34 AM   #19
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBreatheApple View Post
There's so much hate against people who opt to do this and I don't get it. I wouldn't know where to start in regard to creating an app but as part of the agreement, I get access to the betas as a developer. It's not a scam, and it's not playing the system. It's no different than people joining a gym because it's cheaper than a tanning salon and only taking advantage of the tanning beds and not using the gym. Perhaps an inane example but it's true.

And people are going to bitch about unstable releases developer or not. It's (paying for a dev account for early access) not a big deal. People need to get over it.
Yes, but "these" people are the same ones who clog up the forums afterwards with "help my device is bricked" threads. "These" people should educated themselves a little better before dabbling in something they know nothing about.
__________________
W2P KLD talking...what's your handle, WR2 GFO?
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:38 AM   #20
lewismayell
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: South West England
I'm not a developer, but I have a developer account, will i be able to download the beta and ues it?
lewismayell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:39 AM   #21
Tyler23
macrumors 601
 
Tyler23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismayell View Post
I'm not a developer, but I have a developer account, will i be able to download the beta and ues it?
Do you have a paid account or the free account? If paid ($99/year fee), yes. If free, no.
Tyler23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:41 AM   #22
lewismayell
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: South West England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
Do you have a paid account or the free account? If paid ($99/year fee), yes. If free, no.
Oh, no I only have a free account, I just looked above my comment after posting aswell, sorry for the waste of time
lewismayell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:41 AM   #23
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by aDRock1154 View Post
I agree with everything you said (well put, by the way), but it's not exactly hard to downgrade when Apple is still signing current ipsw.
Thanks for the kind words, and I'll not disagree with you on downgrading, but I will say we see too many threads here during the beta phase on people unable to figure out how to do so. So technically speaking its possible, but the process seems to throw a number of people for a curve.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:43 AM   #24
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040
 
rockyroad55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phila, PA
Never understood why these same people come back and ask us to help when they don't know what they're getting themselves into. If you have to ask all these questions (many answers are clearly obvious), then by all means, go ahead and see what happens. You'll only learn by doing it. Just don't come back here and plead for help when you were warned.
rockyroad55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:19 AM   #25
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816
 
aDRock1154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Thanks for the kind words, and I'll not disagree with you on downgrading, but I will say we see too many threads here during the beta phase on people unable to figure out how to do so. So technically speaking its possible, but the process seems to throw a number of people for a curve.
Agreed. I think the "brace yourselves" meme is appropriate for all the new threads that pop up about the beta next week.
aDRock1154 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General: ios 7.1 beta 1 vs beta 2 vs beta 3, speed, opinions??? sadsadsadsa Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 1 Feb 6, 2014 05:41 PM
iOS 7 beta 6 STILL no ota update option since beta 2 BigB82 iOS 7 14 Aug 18, 2013 12:08 AM
Apple TV 5.4 beta automatic setup via iOS 7 beta 5 [video] Che Castro Apple TV and Home Theater 0 Aug 7, 2013 02:26 PM
How to install iOS 7 Beta 4, without having previous beta's installed ra4oasis iOS 7 1 Aug 2, 2013 11:41 AM
iOS 7 beta 2 statistically downgrades Safari from beta 1 EllieV iOS 7 1 Jun 26, 2013 07:54 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC