Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jun 7, 2013, 01:47 AM   #1
Notawiz
macrumors newbie

PDF file "quick look" into the menu bar?

Hi!

Can anyone tell me, if there is an easy way - or indeed, any way - to put a pdf file or something similar into the menu bar?

I have several documents that I have to check once or twice a day, such as the security code list when accessing my bank account, certain project timelines and calendars, etc.

I only need to take a look, so I would prefer not opening any apps for this. At the moment I do this: I put a copy of the file on the Desktop, place the icon in the lower corner and then use quick look. This is fairly decent, but it nonetheless means that I click the icon, press the space bar, press it again when closing and then click the window where I was working to make it active again.

It would be nice to have an icon in the menu bar that reveals a pdf when clicked and held - and when released, the working window would be active again. You know, workflow. :-)

Plus, as I said, I have several documents for which I would do the same - and there isn't that much room in my Desktop corners.

So is there an OS solution for this, or do you know any apps that might do the trick? So far I have only found a few fairly complicated apps with which I end up having to click at least the same four times that I have to presently.

Thanks in advance!
Notawiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 02:53 AM   #2
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Try Xmenu from Devon Technologies. It creates customizable menulets that can display files and folders, amongst other things.

It's free.

PS. Tell me it's not a laptop your security codes easily accessible.....
Old Jun 7, 2013, 03:15 AM   #3
gr8tfly
macrumors 603

Here's something built-in that you could try:

Put the PDFs in a folder, then drag the folder to the Dock (right side). Click the folder, then hover over the PDF you're interested in. Hit the space key to QuickLook it; space again to dismiss QuickLook. The Grid or Fan will automatically close when you switch back to another app or window (or Desktop). Pressing esc will also close it.

If you want, you can use tab/shift-tab, or arrow keys, to select which PDF to QuickLook (rather than hovering).

It's a bit less clicking-around than opening a folder in the Finder, or even just clicking the file in your Desktop.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 08:51 AM   #4
Notawiz
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely look into both of them.

I didn't realize that you could put folders to the dock. Naturally I tried putting the individual files to it, but, after failing miserably, I gave up. :-)

benwiggy:
No, it's not a laptop. And even if it was, I have the basic username+password only in my head. And I would assume that if a hacker ever got an access to my bank account, he would probably transfer a few bucks to me, just out of pity.
Notawiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:12 AM   #5
desertman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notawiz View Post
Can anyone tell me, if there is an easy way - or indeed, any way - to put a pdf file or something similar into the menu bar?
This can be easily done with FinderPop, which I consider to be (next to Default Folder) one of the two most important OS X utilities:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/655/finderpop.

With FinderPop you have files and folders not only available in the Menu Bar but also, with a right click in the Finder, in the Contextual Menu items. I cannot count how many times I use a FinderPop feature every day.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Tags
menu bar, quick look