Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
So here's my story;

Today I was at a lunch meeting, typing notes on my MB Pro (early 2012) minding my own biz, when all of a sudden a downpour of water - so I was told, but it looked like soda - comes smack down on to the center of my keyboard. These were not droplets but literally a stream of liquid right on my Macbook. There were 5 other co-workers and the waitress who witnessed the whole incident!

Quick thinking had me pulling it away, turning it upside to prevent liquid seeping through to the logic board, and powering it off; all within a matter of 2-3 seconds.

After about 15-20 min of drying my poor baby, the manager finally came by and provided me with his card telling me to call him if I had any problems.... The remainder of the meeting the MB sat upside down allowing any other trapped liquid to flow out of the keyboard. When I got home I placed it in my safe which has a dehumidifier along with a bowl of rice. My original plan was to leave it for at least a few days but curiosity got the best of me!

I popped it open and disassembled the entire unit, removing the logic board. Of course, when I took it apart I located some water at the bottom of the chassis :mad::mad::mad: Anyway, took it all apart with the exception of the keyboard - checked for additional water - and put it all back together. Mind you this is not the first time I've taken apart a macbook, or any computer for that matter. I did IT/Tech Support (certified MCSE, CCNA/P, A+, etc) for 6 years before I switched professions.

I figured at this point powering it back on was not going to do anymore harm than what's already been done. To my surprise, everything booted up however a few quick observations, without being able to fully test;

CPU Fan on 100% now regardless of being idle, proper ventilation, and ambient temp at 69 degrees (i keep my house cold).

Keyboard/Trackpad are non-responsive.

I ended up powering it down and decided that I should NOT have to dedicate my own time to this repair as the restaurant owner is FULLY liable for any and all repairs. So here comes my question; I plan on taking this to my nearest Apple Store and leaving with a genius. I am certain they will determine there is water damage (from the keyboard which I did not remove), and eventually call me with the bad news. Will they provide me with a detailed invoice/work order for parts replaced + labor prior to any repair?

Having worked in the industry, and seeing it first hand, although some parts may survive a spill...any liquid will eventually cause components to prematurely fail over time so ideally I would like a new macbook as opposed to a few replaced parts. Now I have not contacted the Owner/GM of the restaurant yet so I don't know what his stance will be - replace or repair - but I am definitely going to push for a replacement.

Thanks in advance!

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
when i accidentally broke my SATA cable, they replaced it and gave me an invoice showing the parts that have been replaced.

Was this prior to the repair? and was this a cash repair - mine obviously will not be covered under warranty.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I just had my MBP in for a hard drive replacement, and I received a full invoice when I dropped it off. You may have to spend some time there as they determine what needs to be repaired/replaced. Good luck! If it's a chain restaurant, you may contact the corporate office. If it's local, talk to the gm or the owner.

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
I just had my MBP in for a hard drive replacement, and I received a full invoice when I dropped it off. You may have to spend some time there as they determine what needs to be repaired/replaced. Good luck! If it's a chain restaurant, you may contact the corporate office. If it's local, talk to the gm or the owner.

It is a local restaurant. The owner/GM is the one who gave me his card and was working when the incident occurred. I/We frequent the restaurant often for lunch and use it at least 4 times a year to host meetings. It was just recently sold to the new owner 3 months ago. Ironically, I met the owner a week ago and was introducing him to my co-workers prior to the incident.

To provide a little more detail the pipe above the ceiling caused several additional leaks that forced a whole section of the restaurant closed.

Even though my macbook was ruined, I feel bad this has happened to him as I am sure, being a new owner, is something he never expected - both the leaking pipe + having to replace a $1500 macbook.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Even though my macbook was ruined, I feel bad this has happened to him as I am sure, being a new owner, is something he never expected - both the leaking pipe + having to replace a $1500 macbook.

I am sure his liability insurance will cover this. Its what these things are there for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.