Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_radio_round_icon.jpg
AllThingsD briefly reports that Sony Music has agreed to a deal to bring its content to Apple's rumored streaming radio service, informally dubbed "iRadio". The development comes following word that Apple was pushing hard to complete deals in time for an announcement at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) keynote next Monday.
Sony Music has signed on to Apple's forthcoming iRadio service, according to a person familiar with negotiations between the two companies.

The deal means Apple now has agreements with all three major music labels.
Apple signed Universal Music last month and Warner followed just this past weekend, but Sony and Apple were reported to be having difficulty reaching an agreement over compensation for songs skipped by users.

Still to be negotiated are deals with publishers, but those talks are said to be less contentious than those with the labels.

Apple's iRadio service will reportedly be free to users, with revenue generated through advertising managed by Apple's iAd program. The service would most likely launch alongside iOS 7 later this year.

Article Link: iRadio Announcement at WWDC Looking Likely After Sony Signs On

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I never really use Spotify or Pandora (I have accounts with them).

But a built-in iRadio, I'd probably use. Good option (if a bit late, as per).

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I hope they hit it out of the park. I've been waiting for a music service worth subscribing to.

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Is there any other tech company that has the ability and reputation to close deals with content producers as well as Apple can? Eddy cue is a closer.

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
I really hope this is good enough to let me cancel my spotify subscription! Despite the rumors, I am hoping for a model much closer to spotify than to Pandora.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
I'll add it to my mix. I routinely listen to either Pandora or Spotify at work, depending on the mood.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Excellent. Guaranteed to have something to whine and moan about after the Keynote after it doesn't meet our heightened & unreasonable expectations. :D

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Too late for me. I'd assume this would be a ad funded with a subscription based option.

For one I have $$$$'s in music already download and I don't want ads.

If there is a pay option I'd assume it would be 9.99 a month or 120 a year I don't download 100 songs a year. I'm sure it will be very successful but I'll pass..

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Is there any other tech company that has the ability and reputation to close deals with content producers as well as Apple can? Eddy cue is a closer.

Jobs would've closed these deals last year, and got better rates too.

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California
Why don't we just wait to see what comes out Monday and then decide from there. May it be the Paid option or the Free option.

Lets hope its a good service different from Pandora and Spotify :apple:

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Money for skipping a song? Doesn't that mean the songs pretty much sux, or isn't something the listener wants. Why should someone have to pay for that? If I don't listen to it, nobody should be charged. Maybe do the 30 second rule... less than 30, nobody pays, more than 30, Apple pays a royalty.

Anyway, I only listen to talk radio.

Bryan

----------

And why is Apple fussing around with Music? Television/Movies, that is where it's at. Where is my monthly subscription for *any* 10 channels of my choosing? Apple, go out and by Time Warner already. Go buy an established cable/media company and forget about streaming music!

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
I actually use a stand-alone radio app (KCRW Radio-which I contribute financially as it is a Public Radio station) for news, information, and music so I have never used Spotify and Pandora. Can someone kindly explain the diffenrence between both services?

I know this kind of veers away from the topic at hand.

Cheers.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

He is, but is he trying to close what the rumors say he is.

Folks could be in for a big shock come announcement time. This iRadio may have nothing to do with radio at all. It could be the end of a three year process to bring back a service they bought but couldn't get the labels to let them carry over the old licensing deals.

And the ad thing could be false, or just not connected to this service (perhaps they are getting into audio ads in general not just for this alleged 'pandora killer')

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.