Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:50 AM   #1
bbhanna
macrumors newbie

Lightbulb Did I find the user of my stolen iPad?

Hey guys,

I just purchased an iPad 4. My iPad and iPhone were stolen from my South Beach apartment in December, and I haven't been able to afford any iOS devices until now. I chose to restore my iPad from the cloud from the last time it backed up in December, and when I opened the App Store I was prompted with the user name "jo_hutch91@hotmail.com", which I do not own and I have never seen before.

The only reasonable explanation to me is that this is the email address of the person who stole my iPad. Is that an unreasonable assumption? Why else would a name I've never seen before pop up?

What can I do to find out who owns this email address?

Am I on to something?
bbhanna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:41 AM   #2
jk111
macrumors regular

The best way would be to contact hotmail to get the name associated with that email address, as well as IP addresses where the email account has been logged in from. Then the service provider for the IP can provide the person who had the IP at the certain time.

More than likely, you'll need to get the police involved, as the companies will not give away personal information of others.

Be aware, there is always the chance the thief sold the iPad, so this email may be associated with the buyer.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:51 AM   #3
sjinsjca
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk111 View Post
Be aware, there is always the chance the thief sold the iPad, so this email may be associated with the buyer.
It's still stolen property. That possibility should not deter the owner at all.

Document everything. Call Apple for guidance. Then call the cops.

And password-lock your iDevices and Macs!
sjinsjca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 01:01 PM   #4
bbhanna
macrumors newbie

Well. Looks like it's a lost cause. I mentioned it to some sale reps at the Apple store just now and they looked at me like I was insane.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 02:09 PM   #5
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk111 View Post
The best way would be to contact hotmail to get the name associated with that email address, as well as IP addresses where the email account has been logged in from. Then the service provider for the IP can provide the person who had the IP at the certain time.
None of the above is possible without a subpoena or court order. The odds that the police will do something other than take your info and fill out a report is close to nil, the odds of it getting to the point where a subpoena or court order can issue on the theft of a single $500-ish device is beyond remote.
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 02:34 PM   #6
RedRallyeZ
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhanna View Post
Well. Looks like it's a lost cause. I mentioned it to some sale reps at the Apple store just now and they looked at me like I was insane.
Apple Stores don't typically handle any sort of theft issues, so their reaction shouldn't deter you. Ask local Law enforcement.

SOLD: 2010 C2D MBP 13", 802N AEBS, 802N TC, iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5S
RedRallyeZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 02:54 PM   #7
poloponies
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ View Post
Apple Stores don't typically handle any sort of theft issues, so their reaction shouldn't deter you. Ask local Law enforcement.
Retail stores in general are not going to take any action of this kind. They don't have the personnel, nor do they want to assume liability, for any criminal investigation.
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 03:51 PM   #8
max53389
macrumors member

Then again you could be arresting a random guy that bought the iPad from the original people that stole it. He might of not known it was stolen in the first place.
Just a thought and do what you think is best.
max53389 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2013, 08:53 PM   #9
adam044
macrumors 65816

Nah that just an email linked to some songs that you downloaded from torrents and such. So it's trying to re download those songs but you need to verify the ID you'll probably have songs grayed out in your music app because it couldn't re download them
Old Jun 7, 2013, 10:23 PM   #10
bbhanna
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam044 View Post
Nah that just an email linked to some songs that you downloaded from torrents and such. So it's trying to re download those songs but you need to verify the ID you'll probably have songs grayed out in your music app because it couldn't re download them
I don't have any songs in my music app. I have a spotify subscription.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 02:13 AM   #11
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

did you have any media that you may have downloaded or been given by someone else. ive seen this happen before when you restore something, such as a song, that was originally downloaded under someone elses apple ID. upon restore, it will prompt you for their apple ID.

i highly doubt the person who is currently using it somehow had their apple ID in your backup file, unless it was a wireless backup. i think its likely some kind of media you had.

as for the law enforcement question, you can report the theft to the police and they will take a report. depending on the department and if their detectives investigate further into it, they could in fact ask hotmail for IP address info and account owner information. in my department, its uncommon for this to go much further than a matter of record theft report, but sometimes, like this "lead" you may have, they will dig deeper. i actually had my debit card compromised last year and reported it to my department. there was an email address used to make an unauthorized purchase. our detective was able to get walmart.com to release the purchaser info, then able to get yahoo to track the IP for the email address. it was traced to an apartment complex where the end user unfortunately couldnt be located. but i suggest trying with your local PD. couldnt hurt.
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 03:32 PM   #12
arcite
macrumors 6502a

I suggest hiring the A-Team, or perhaps a superhero that enjoys night work.

Sorry, non-serious reply.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 06:28 PM   #13
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinsjca View Post
It's still stolen property. That possibility should not deter the owner at all.
Yes but he should not be posting people's email here
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad