Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
It's my sony blu ray player. It supports DLNA, and USB flash drives/hard drives. It will play ANYTHING I throw at it, from AVI to WMV to MP4 to M4v... anything. We all need to get them. And newegg has them on sale for 59 bucks. They do wifi and ethernet, and the quality is fantastic.

The BDP-S390 and BDP-s590... amazing players.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
It's my sony blu ray player. It supports DLNA, and USB flash drives/hard drives. It will play ANYTHING I throw at it, from AVI to WMV to MP4 to M4v... anything. We all need to get them. And newegg has them on sale for 59 bucks. They do wifi and ethernet, and the quality is fantastic.

I'm sure it's a great blu-ray player...but perhaps we ALL don't need to get them.:D

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I like my Sammy BRP for this reason as well. Aside from not having the Apple interface, my main beef is that it doesn't have Amazon instant video which the Sony does.

pogoyoyo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Toronto, Canada
why does the apple tv have to support any of those formats when VLC supports and it and i can just airplay mirror to my TV using the apple tv?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I got a DLNA capable BR player before I got my ATV. They have complementary uses. But glad u finally discovered the BR.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Can I stream my iTunes library to it without doing any modifications to anything?

towg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Cardiff
I had a Sony BD185 and just upgraded to a Panasonic PWT which has a hard driver recorder too. I assumed at triple the price is would make a decent media server but playback is stuttery like the processor isnt too fast.

Its not a patch on the £99 Apple Tv.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
This seems like so 2008

I'm trying to get away from disc

A wd media player live is a better alternative

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I do very much the same with my PS3.

On my Mac I have an app called Playback which lets me access all the movies, photos and music I have and play them on the PS3 and with doubleTwist on both my S3 and Nexus 7 I can play any movie I have on those devices as well. I also have Netflix in all of them. Have felt no need to get an Apple TV.

chambord

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
Hey guys i have a great solution! I download torrentzzz and then I burn them to CDROMs. Sometimes it takes 8 CDROMS for 1 movie but that's ok. Then I have a service in town trnasfer the CDROMS to VHS, and then I watch them on my VHS. It's pretty sweet. All 8 CDROMS fit on 1 VHS. And VHS is universal.

towg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Cardiff
Hey guys i have a great solution! I download torrentzzz and then I burn them to CDROMs. Sometimes it takes 8 CDROMS for 1 movie but that's ok. Then I have a service in town trnasfer the CDROMS to VHS, and then I watch them on my VHS. It's pretty sweet. All 8 CDROMS fit on 1 VHS. And VHS is universal.

I love a forward thinker :D

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Lol right, airplay mirroring is like 15FPS. If you like watching content like that, then go ahead with your current setup.

You're having unusual problems if you're Airplay Mirroring from your Mac is producing 15 fps! Call Apple's support # and ask them. Put the issue to the knowledge base on their website. The only issue I have with Airplay mirroring is the lag.

----------

haha, apple using industry standards? Nope.

Nah, you have to use a plugin. But once you do it works really well.

Where can we find this plugin?

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Lol funny, I don't need to burn them... it just shows up and I click play.

I don't undertand why some people are so immature :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

----------

You're having unusual problems if you're Airplay Mirroring from your Mac is producing 15 fps! Call Apple's support # and ask them. Put the issue to the knowledge base on their website. The only issue I have with Airplay mirroring is the lag.

----------

Where can we find this plugin?

Airplay mirroring is pegged at 20FPS as a VSync, and when playing 30FPS video, the net is 15FPS.

There are tons of iTunes UPNP plugins that work, very well.

----------

This is such a horrible solution.

Why? Look up how DLNA works, it's like iTunes homesharing, but it's open so anything can use it - iTunes, Vuze, lots of other software. Wirelessly.

----------

This seems like so 2008

I'm trying to get away from disc

A wd media player live is a better alternative

It's the exact same thing for less money. It doesn't use discs. It uses wifi.

pogoyoyo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Lol funny, I don't need to burn them... it just shows up and I click play.

I don't undertand why some people are so immature :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

----------

Airplay mirroring is pegged at 20FPS as a VSync, and when playing 30FPS video, the net is 15FPS.

There are tons of iTunes UPNP plugins that work, very well.

----------

Why? Look up how DLNA works, it's like iTunes homesharing, but it's open so anything can use it - iTunes, Vuze, lots of other software. Wirelessly.

----------

It's the exact same thing for less money. It doesn't use discs. It uses wifi.

I am able to watch any movie without problems over airplay mirroring, including 1080p 3d movies... so i'm not sure what you're experiencing is normal. All i'm running is a mbp, time capsule, apple tv, 3d led tv. The delay is very minimal, mili-seconds, and with VLC you can delay the audio to sync up.

DianeK

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2013
I am able to watch any movie without problems over airplay mirroring, including 1080p 3d movies... so i'm not sure what you're experiencing is normal. All i'm running is a mbp, time capsule, apple tv, 3d led tv. The delay is very minimal, mili-seconds, and with VLC you can delay the audio to sync up.
Newbie here: what is VLC?:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.