Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gorillamo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
I have a G4 running OS 10.4.11 that I bought in 2001 (please don't suggest that I upgrade as I can't afford it). After power outages, which happen several times a year here (don't ask), I have to boot up in safe mode, otherwise nothing happens. Is there a reason why power outages affect my Mac like this and is there a way to fix this? Booting in safe mode takes about ten minutes plus and is very aggravating.

thanks,
Gorillamo

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The reason is because when the power goes out and the Mac is on you have lots of open files. Suddenly losing power like that can corrupt files.

My suggestion.

1. Boot from install disk and repair drive.
2. Repair permissions.
3. Boot from Diskwarrior disk (if you have or can get DW) and repair drive.
4. Download and use Onyx.
5. Using Onyx, run the Daily, Weekly and Monthly scripts.
6. Using Onyx delete your cache files.

That should work for you. If power failures are as frequent in your area as you make it sound I would suggest getting a UPS if you can.

Lastly, repeated failures can cause excessive wear and tear on a hard drive. If none of the above works you may be down to a full reinstall of the OS. And if you still have problems I would check to see if your drive is going bad.

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Though I haven't seen this happen to my Windows machines (I don't feel like waiting for a couple of seconds for them to turn off so I just unplug them) I would assume that suddenly removing power can damage files on any system, especially vital system files. Sometimes programs that are set to run when the machine boots can get messed up and prevent the system from booting.

You said that you can boot into safe mode (Unless I'm misunderstanding you), I'd first try to back up important files. If that works, I'd try to uninstall recently installed programs.

If that still doesn't work, you might be able to either boot to the install CD or open it from directly from the desktop and use it to repair the install. I'm not familiar with the Mac OS X install disks so I'm not sure if it's possible but it would be my assumption that it is. If it's possible, you probably do it from either directly inside the CD (When you boot the Mac into safe mode and view the disk's contents) or you can use the Disk Utility in the CD when you boot to it.

If that still doesn't work you'll unfortunately need to wipe the hard drive and completely re-install Mac OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.