Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBillups1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Michigan
i have applecare plus so not sure how this works, i obviously dont wanna spend $50 because the battery is trash.

i do not have push email, i dont play games. i just text, check twitter and instagram all day. dont browse the net, stream videos or anything.

every night i have to charge my phone because it will be in the teens.

can i go to apple and get a new phone via the warranty? how do i prove it to them? any help is appreciated

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
as stated a million times, in other battery threads, you can take it to apple and they can troubleshoot the battery to test to make sure its up to par. if not you can try the tons of battery saving techniques found all over this site. if those dont work, you can try restoring as new to see if theres a bad app or setting causing it. also, recently discovered, force close out of facebook when not using it since it appears to be a bad battery drain even when not in use.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
why would i spend more money on a product to make my phone even bulkier..?

If you're dissatisfied with the performance of a first-party feature (battery life in this case) then you can purchase a third-party solution. I bought a battery case for my iPhone on eBay for $10 and it works great to extend my battery life.

Ain't economics great?

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
i have applecare plus so not sure how this works, i obviously dont wanna spend $50 because the battery is trash.

i do not have push email, i dont play games. i just text, check twitter and instagram all day. dont browse the net, stream videos or anything.

can i go to apple and get a new phone via the warranty? how do i prove it to them? any help is appreciated

First, you only need to pay with AppleCare+ if the reason for the replacement is user or accidental damage. You do not need to pay the $49 for a warranty issue such as poor battery life.

Second, this sounds like a user expectation issue. How long do you EXPECT your battery to last texting, checking Twitter and Instagram-ing all day? To be in the teens at the end of the day for that usage seems pretty reasonable to me.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Are you manually closing out of apps after use? Clicking the home button only minimizes. You have to double click it to open the app dock, the press and hold on the icon and press the X.

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
Are you manually closing out of apps after use? Clicking the home button only minimizes. You have to double click it to open the app dock, the press and hold on the icon and press the X.

"Multitasking doesn't slow down the performance of the foreground app or drain battery life unnecessarily."

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4211?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Unless the background app is still performing a limited task (e.g. VoIP) there should really be no reason to have to go and close out of the apps.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
"Multitasking doesn't slow down the performance of the foreground app or drain battery life unnecessarily."

Unless the background app is still performing a limited task (e.g. VoIP) there should really be no reason to have to go and close out of the apps.

In my experience this has been the case. I've tried it both way, closing app and just letting them stay in the tray. I actually got better battery life leaving then alone. It was probably because I had better reception that day or something.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
why would i spend more money on a product to make my phone even bulkier..?

Get this then: 5600 mah usb battery.
Anker® Astro 5600mAh Portable Power Bank Pack Backup External Battery Charger with built-in Flashlight for iPhone 5, 4S, 4, iPad Mini, iPods; Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, Note 2; HTC One, EVO, Thunderbolt, Incredible, Droid DNA; Motorola ATRIX, Droid; Google Nexus 4 ; LG Optimus [Lightning Adapter not included for iPhone 5]
http://amzn.com/B005K7192G

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011

Go to settings, general, usage and tell us what it says at the end of the day. You should get around 6-8 hours usage. Less if you use lots of battery draining stuff.

Also, delete the Facebook app if you have it installed. Killed the battery for me really fast. Just using safari for Facebook is better for battery life.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

Apple also states that it's impossible to have Time Machine back up to an external HDD connected to an AEBS, and it's been proven that Facebook stays alive in the background, causing battery drain.

Either Apple is lying (again), or they're covering their asses by adding the "unnecessarily" since it's subjective. They might feel it's not unnecessary that Facebook kills my battery when constantly pinging in the background, but I do. Either way, most apps won't cause battery drain when running in the background, but some most definitely do.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
as stated a million times, in other battery threads, you can take it to apple and they can troubleshoot the battery to test to make sure its up to par. if not you can try the tons of battery saving techniques found all over this site. if those dont work, you can try restoring as new to see if theres a bad app or setting causing it. also, recently discovered, force close out of facebook when not using it since it appears to be a bad battery drain even when not in use.

Good post. Seriouslly OP you been a member here since 2008. Try use the search function next time.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
OP, why don't you go through what is still running on your phone, and if you play with SIRI, or perhaps play around with Bandwidth speed test, camera usage, and god only knows what else is using up battery life, like music playing, screen too bright etc. Do a google search to find out how to save battery life, and learn from those that have posted to extend battery life. Too many variables that may cause this, and you are just worried for nothing.

First timers having this phone, you need to discharge (Charge Cycles) the battery nearly all the way down a few times first before you go nuts over battery life. Do a forum search as well for battery life on the iphone 5 to get hints. Your battery usage may just be normal, and Apple will tell you this.

Forum search....

https://forums.macrumors.com/search/?searchid=34480044

Last edited:

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
Apple also states that it's impossible to have Time Machine back up to an external HDD connected to an AEBS...

Apple says "can't" not "impossible" (big difference) and while some people have been able to backup to an external HDD connected to an AEBS many, MANY more cannot.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Need a lot more info.

My iPhone battery doesn't come close to lasting an entire day. Not that there's a problem but I'm using it all day.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Apple says "can't" not "impossible" (big difference) and while some people have been able to backup to an external HDD connected to an AEBS many, MANY more cannot.

To me there is no grey area in "can't". Either you can, or you can't. White or black, yes or no, 1 or 0.

Who isn't able to back up to an eternal HDD connected to an AEBS?

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
To me there is no grey area in "can't". Either you can, or you can't. White or black, yes or no, 1 or 0.

Who isn't able to back up to an eternal HDD connected to an AEBS?

According to multiple threads at Discussions, it seems about half the people who try it. It's not supported because it's not reliable. It's not Apple trying to screw you over, it's because data corruption can occur and compromise your backup.

(Having tried it myself a year or so ago, it works with a WD drive I have but not a Seagate.)

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
According to multiple threads at Discussions, it seems about half the people who try it. It's not supported because it's not reliable. It's not Apple trying to screw you over, it's because data corruption can occur and compromise your backup.

(Having tried it myself a year or so ago, it works with a WD drive I have but not a Seagate.)

So it's most likely a compatibility issue when it comes to some (but not all) HDDs, meaning you can. Not can't. Can. Not supported? Doesn't mean you can't. Can't means you can't. But you can, so Apple saying you can't is simply Apple not telling the truth.

See?

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
So it's most likely a compatibility issue when it comes to some (but not all) HDDs, meaning you can. Not can't. Can. Not supported? Doesn't mean you can't. Can't means you can't. But you can, so Apple saying you can't is simply Apple not telling the truth.

See?

Some people just aren't satisfied unless they have something to bitch about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.