Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxbshaw1978

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2013
I want to extend my desktop to an 2nd monitor. I have the monitor connected to the mac through the VGA with the Thunderbolt adapter. The mac recognizes the monitor (Acer S211HL). I've used the mirror function and every resolution and speed combo but still get no display on the 2nd monitor. The Acer was being used on an HP desktop until I got a new one. Do I need to buy a new monitor specifically for the mac? Any help is greatly appreciated.

MeatRocket

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
In the Sandbox
I've tried both ways and still get nothing from the monitor. I just tried a Dell monitor with the same results. The mac recognizes it, but the dell says there is no input. I'm at a loss.

Please forgive the simplistic nature of this comment, but did you verify that the 2nd monitor is using the right input method? Since the Dell says no input, maybe it's not set to analog? If you had it set to DVI/HDMI before, then you'd need to set it to analog/VGA input method for use as a 2nd monitor to the iMac. Other than that, I don't know enough about OSX & dual monitor setups to be helpful, sorry.

maxbshaw1978

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2013
Please forgive the simplistic nature of this comment, but did you verify that the 2nd monitor is using the right input method? Since the Dell says no input, maybe it's not set to analog? If you had it set to DVI/HDMI before, then you'd need to set it to analog/VGA input method for use as a 2nd monitor to the iMac. Other than that, I don't know enough about OSX & dual monitor setups to be helpful, sorry.

No worries. Yes, it was set to the correct input. Both of these monitors had been being used with a pc. Not sure if that should make a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.