Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigloudbang

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
It's now more of a mini tablet than just simply a music player, so why does Apple keep it in the iPod product line and not the tablet line?

bigloudbang

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
I see trying to have a decent discussion with you all is hopeless.

Last edited by a moderator:

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

what is there to discuss anyway? The name grew out of the original iPod line and there's no reason for them to change it. the iPod Touch came before the iPad. and the touch is basically just an iPod anyway.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010

Carl Sagan once said, 'extraordinary claims, require extraordinary proof'. With this concept in mind I might say that a decent discussion requires a decent topic, and however you want to slice it, I'm afraid that musing over why and iPod with a touch screen is called and iPod Touch, is not going to do it.

bigloudbang

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
what is there to discuss anyway? The name grew out of the original iPod line and there's no reason for them to change it. the iPod Touch came before the iPad. and the touch is basically just an iPod anyway.

Basically an iPod? Looks and works more like a tablet than just an iPod.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Carl Sagan once said, 'extraordinary claims, require extraordinary proof'. With this concept in mind I might say that a decent discussion requires a decent topic, and however you want to slice it, I'm afraid that musing over why and iPod with a touch screen is called and iPod Touch, is not going to do it.

This ^^^

And calling the other posters "girls" (assuming that you don't know whether they are women or not) is a lovely little misogynistic touch.

So far...batting 1.000:rolleyes:

itsmeorthedog

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2013
It's very interesting to see the same topic on another tech site taken a bit more seriously than it has here on MacRumors.

The IPT5 has basically the same specs as the iPad Mini, just a smaller form factor. It performs the same tasks and functions as a tablet on a smaller scale.

OR, you could say it's the iPhone "without the phone"

When i think of iPod, it's the iPod nano or shuffle that comes to mind, not a 32GB device that can surf the net, play games and take pictures and record video etc.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Okay, I'll give you a better in-depth answer to your question.

The iPod Touch is still just a more advanced iPod. You can play music on it, you can play games, you can browse the internet, and other stuff. They all it "iPod Touch" because it is an evolution of the main iPod family that goes as:

iPod - The original audio player
iPod Photo - The introduction of color and photo storage support
iPod Video - Video was now supported (the first literation of the iTunes Store Movies section) and games
iPod Classic - What the current iPod model is now called. The UI on these are the main distinction from the rest.

And so the iPod Touch is next after the Classic. It's not a tablet or phablet, nor is it a phone. The people who use one, still use it in a similar way that the people who used iPods in the past used it for, except for more.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
The above post is correct.

The Touch is not a tablet by dint of its only having a 4" screen. The lines are becoming blurred, though, and the Touch has the same innards as the iPad Mini - just with a far better screen.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
It's now more of a mini tablet than just simply a music player, so why does Apple keep it in the iPod product line and not the tablet line?
That's kinda like asking why Apple doesn't rename the iPhone to "iPad phone".

It's still an iPod touch, still plays music. It's battery life is best when just playing music that is on it.

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse
The above post is correct.

The Touch is not a tablet by dint of its only having a 4" screen. The lines are becoming blurred, though, and the Touch has the same innards as the iPad Mini - just with a far better screen.

I'm fairly certain that iPad 2 & iPad mini's A5 chip are clocked higher than the iPhone 4S & iPod touch 5G's A5 chip.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
If it doesn't run iPad apps it's not a mini tablet. If it came 5 years before the iPad mini it's not a mini iPad. If it can be used one handed it's not used like a tablet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.