Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 8, 2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Huntn
macrumors 604

Which Countries Have the Most Vacation?

USA Today: Which Countries Have the Most Vacation?

Quote:
The United States is the only developed country in the world without a single legally required paid vacation day or holiday. By law, every country in the European Union has at least four work weeks of paid vacation.
In my union job, 30 days of paid annual vacation was negotiated by the the pilot group.

Is this good or bad in your opinion? In my opinion paid vacation is very good and any decent business model should be based on it. Or is it top executives deserve vactation but the peons don't and I'm talking about paid vacation, not vacation where you take an economic hit...
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 08:12 AM   #2
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post

In my union job, 30 days of paid annual vacation was negotiated by the the pilot group.

Is this good or bad in your opinion? In my opinion paid vacation is very good and any decent business model should be based on it. Or is it top executives deserve vactation but the peons don't and I'm talking about paid vacation, not vacation where you take an economic hit...
Here in Canada, it is a minimum of 2 weeks. At my job, everybody starts with 3 weeks paid but we also have 10 paid personal days (Sick, appointments, emergencies)
Old Jun 8, 2013, 08:16 AM   #3
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Four weeks seems pretty high to start with but that's probably because I'm used to what we get here in the USA. In my company, you get two weeks to start; three weeks after five years and four after ten years. I have five weeks, something we no longer give out to workers on my level.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 08:18 AM   #4
aerok
macrumors 65816

Article to read related to this subject

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...818_398605.htm
Old Jun 8, 2013, 08:21 AM   #5
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
Four weeks seems pretty high to start with but that's probably because I'm used to what we get here in the USA. In my company, you get two weeks to start; three weeks after five years and four after ten years. I have five weeks, something we no longer give out to workers on my level.
And some of get ZERO paid vacations, sick days, personal days...nada, zilch, rien, gournisht!

When you work fee-for-service any time off means income lost.

But I'm so fabulously wealthy, work is just a hobby....

Right!

Last edited by Shrink; Jun 8, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
Shrink is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 08:59 AM   #6
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
This is in line with my job referenced with the first post. New employees only get 2 weeks. Now think about all those small retailers out there who give no paid vacation to the peons.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:02 AM   #7
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
This is in line with my job referenced with the first post. New employees only get 2 weeks. Now think about all those small retailers out there who give no paid vacation to the peons.
A lot of employers in Canada go around the vacation rule by only offering part-time positions.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:10 AM   #8
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I think my company has 9 paid holidays and I get 27 days of vacation/sick. Last month, before a policy change, I had 36.

Although, not encouraged to take time, I've forfeited on agave 100 hours a year for 4 years. I'm trying to change that this year.

I think 30 days is great. I've had to work my way to 36 ... 27.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:42 AM   #9
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Now think about all those small retailers out there who give no paid vacation to the peons.
My wife works for a small, though long-established, retail store.

No paid vacation.

I work for the State of California (~12 years) and accrue ~11 hours of paid vacation per month (~3.3 weeks per year).
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:45 AM   #10
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
My wife works for a small, though long-established, retail store.

No paid vacation.

I work for the State of California (~12 years) and accrue ~11 hours of paid vacation per month.
Really sucks for your wife, I would also think a state job would give more time off...
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:46 AM   #11
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Really sucks for your wife, I would also think a state job would give more time off...
It ain't as cushy as some people would believe.

But we do have a number of paid holidays as well.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:59 AM   #12
rovex
macrumors 65816

France.
rovex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:36 AM   #13
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
A lot of employers in Canada go around the vacation rule by only offering part-time positions.
A very common tactic in the U.S. where part time positions are awarded to avoid having to offer benefits.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:43 AM   #14
G51989
macrumors 68020

Quote:
A very common tactic in the U.S. where part time positions are awarded to avoid having to offer benefits.
Indeed, France wins for worker pay and rights.

Not making a living wage, no benefits, and no vacation or sick days is very American. American workers are among the most productive in the world, and they are the lowest pays in raw pay, vacation and benefits .

Almost half the population is living in poverty, and more and more working poor are on welfare and food stamps.

The tax payer is subsizeding profits!

Go America!
G51989 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:10 AM   #15
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
Indeed, France wins for worker pay and rights.

Not making a living wage, no benefits, and no vacation or sick days is very American. American workers are among the most productive in the world, and they are the lowest pays in raw pay, vacation and benefits .

Almost half the population is living in poverty, and more and more working poor are on welfare and food stamps.

The tax payer is subsizeding profits!

Go America!
That's the debate. Conservatives in the U.S. will cite all those worker friendly rules in Europe and even in Canada as an abomination. Sure it is, if your priority is maximized profits (that go to a very small group) at the expense of all other considerations and the majority of your citizens. Quite a nice job of disenfranchising the Middle Class has been going on in the U.S. for the last 30 years. Business won't stop it (they are behind it) and small businesses plans are such that the owners are the ones who benefit and the employees scrape by. It was the government that made the New Deal happen, a government controlled by liberals, or at least by people who felt that the pie could be divided in a fairer manner.

This is the Republican Plan, remove the power of the government to look out for all of its citizens. Remove government interference in business dealings and bring back the age of the mogul/tycoon.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:27 AM   #16
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
That's the debate. Conservatives in the U.S. will cite all those worker friendly rules in Europe and even in Canada as an abomination. Sure it is, if your priority is maximized profits (that go to a very small group) at the expense of all other considerations and the majority of your citizens. Quite a nice job of disenfranchising the Middle Class has been going on in the U.S. for the last 30 years. Business won't stop it (they are behind it) and small businesses plans are such that the owners are the ones who benefit and the employees scrape by. It was the government that made the New Deal happen, a government controlled by liberals, or at least by people who felt that the pie could be divided in a fairer manner.

This is the Republican Plan, remove the power of the government to look out for all of its citizens. Remove government interference in business dealings and bring back the age of the mogul/tycoon.
Yeah because the ''laissez-faire'' economy clearly worked in the 19th century

Keynes must be rolling in his grave everytime the Republicans talk about conomy.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:54 AM   #17
samiwas
macrumors 65816

I'm a freelancer, and have never had an actual full time job which had vacation time, so I have nothing to compare it with. But I think it's terrible how many companies deny any sort of time off for their employees. Work, work, work. Wake up, go to work, eat, sleep. Rinse and repeat. Terrible.

One of my freelance jobs used to have us on site for six weeks or so, 10-12 hours a day, without a day off, and some 18-24 hour days near the end of the job, and living in small hotel rooms. By the end, we were all wrecked. We complained enough that we finally at least got some days off worked into the deal and shorter work days. And surprise! Everyone was much happier, and the job still got done, and done better) because we were better rested and able to relax more at the end of the day. Somehow, that escapes the American mantra of "work yourself to the bone".

Many years ago, when I was on tour in Europe, I started dating a girl from Sweden. We would be talking at night, and she'd ask if I wanted her to come to wherever I was the next day for a day or two. I'd ask "Don't you have work?" And her response was always, "I can call in the morning and say I'm taking a couple of days off. I get six weeks per year." Or something to that effect. Basically, she was able to decide her days off without any notice required, and somehow, they company still functioned. Could you even imagine trying to implement anything like that in the US? It would cause a firestorm.

The US mantra is to work yourself to the bone to prove your worth. Anything less is weakness.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 01:23 PM   #18
GermanyChris
Banned

2.5 days per month vacation, and some where near there sick.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 01:28 PM   #19
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
2.5 days per month vacation, and some where near there sick.
In Germany? That's amazing
Old Jun 8, 2013, 02:39 PM   #20
Bug-Creator
macrumors regular

Quote:
No not really...

Legal mandate is 24 days, which will translate only 4 weeks if your on a 6 day week (which pretty much noone is).

If your week has 5 working days it's still 24 days, but only people with temp-job agencies (I think thats the right translation) get that little.

Normal is 30 days on a 5 day-week basis, and if your somehow disabled beyond a certain point you get 2 days more (and 2 years early retirement).
On top of that you can extra days for family-events (birth,weeding, funerals).

Sick days aren't that simple:
6 weeks per sickness have to be payed by the employeer, so if you have 6 weeks of bad back followed by 3 weeks of flu your still o.k.

If a sickness last longer you'll get reduced pay from the health-insurance.
Getting fired due to prolenged sick-leave can only happen in rare cases (like in small companies with less than 5 employees).

If your sickness is due to an work-accident the BG (another insurance) will take over your pay for as long as it takes. In the case that there is no chance for a full recovery they will offer you an early retirement.

All that communist nonsense and Germany still manages to have one of the healthiest economies/labour markets in the EU (if not world).
Bug-Creator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 02:39 PM   #21
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
No I work for the US Government, my wife who works for the state of Bavaria would get more than me if she worked full time.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 02:46 PM   #22
Bug-Creator
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
No I work for the US Government,
Is your contract under German or US law (like it would be for US troops or diplomats) ?
Bug-Creator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 02:55 PM   #23
throAU
macrumors 68030

In australia we accrue 4 weeks per year.

I think we also get something like 7 sick days per year. Doctor cert required if more than 2 days in a row is the normal requirement.

This doesn't change with time spent in the job, however after 5 years, you start to accrue long service leave.

This can be taken after 10 years service (at which point you have 3 months worth of long service leave - over and above regular holidays), or be paid out on a pro-rata basis if you quit the company before then.
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 03:37 PM   #24
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug-Creator View Post
Is your contract under German or US law (like it would be for US troops or diplomats) ?
US, I fall under SOFA.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 03:47 PM   #25
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Here is a little graphic on it. I'm not sure how up-to-date it is-- except for the U.S.:

jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues