Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:04 AM   #1
tomd89
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Os x 7

Just a little thing I've noticed,

the iOS banner makes no mention of iOS instead just stating its version number, 7. Whereas the OS X banner has no version number (I know X means 10 originally) and just shows the brand X.

Surely is one banner says 7, the other should say 10.9 (or X.9, X10.9, big cat name). Likewise if one banner says X, the other should say iOS, or even just i.

What I am getting at here is maybe, just maybe, there aren't two OS's at all and Apple are unifying the two OS's into one called OS X 7. This would bring OS X to the iPhone and iPad, but stick with the version number of iOS to not confuse users of those devices.

It sounds weird, but just think about it. iOS 6 was a small update which may suggest Apple have been working on unifying their OS's at the same time giving them at least two years to work on it. Federici has been drafted in to head up iOS as well as OS X which may lead to the new OS being branded X rather than i.

It's a long shot, but if Apple unveiled a new OS, streamlining all their devices to run on one single platform, X, a new world really would be developing.

What does everyone think?
tomd89 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:09 AM   #2
xcodeaddict
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd89 View Post
Just a little thing I've noticed,

the iOS banner makes no mention of iOS instead just stating its version number, 7. Whereas the OS X banner has no version number (I know X means 10 originally) and just shows the brand X.

Surely is one banner says 7, the other should say 10.9 (or X.9, X10.9, big cat name). Likewise if one banner says X, the other should say iOS, or even just i.

What I am getting at here is maybe, just maybe, there aren't two OS's at all and Apple are unifying the two OS's into one called OS X 7. This would bring OS X to the iPhone and iPad, but stick with the version number of iOS to not confuse users of those devices.

It sounds weird, but just think about it. iOS 6 was a small update which may suggest Apple have been working on unifying their OS's at the same time giving them at least two years to work on it. Federici has been drafted in to head up iOS as well as OS X which may lead to the new OS being branded X rather than i.

It's a long shot, but if Apple unveiled a new OS, streamlining all their devices to run on one single platform, X, a new world really would be developing.

What does everyone think?
They know their customers to be generally intelligent enough to fill in the gaps... it's implied, doesn't have to be spelled out.
xcodeaddict is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:10 AM   #3
cmChimera
macrumors 68000
 
cmChimera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd89 View Post
Just a little thing I've noticed,

the iOS banner makes no mention of iOS instead just stating its version number, 7. Whereas the OS X banner has no version number (I know X means 10 originally) and just shows the brand X.

Surely is one banner says 7, the other should say 10.9 (or X.9, X10.9, big cat name). Likewise if one banner says X, the other should say iOS, or even just i.

What I am getting at here is maybe, just maybe, there aren't two OS's at all and Apple are unifying the two OS's into one called OS X 7. This would bring OS X to the iPhone and iPad, but stick with the version number of iOS to not confuse users of those devices.

It sounds weird, but just think about it. iOS 6 was a small update which may suggest Apple have been working on unifying their OS's at the same time giving them at least two years to work on it. Federici has been drafted in to head up iOS as well as OS X which may lead to the new OS being branded X rather than i.

It's a long shot, but if Apple unveiled a new OS, streamlining all their devices to run on one single platform, X, a new world really would be developing.

What does everyone think?
There's also a 10.9 banner. Simply has 10.9 on it.
cmChimera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:11 AM   #4
msz7
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Sorry to break it to you but that could not be more wrong. There IS a "10.9" banner already hanging up there.
http://cdn.razorianfly.com/wp-conten...X109banner.jpg
msz7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:19 AM   #5
lewismayell
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: South West England
That mesh background makes me happy, because on the 'X' banner there is a wave and on the '7' banner this mesh is also present, it means that neither will have that as their wallpaper, which I think would ruin the look, eapecially on a Mac, I hope they keep the highly detailed retina wallpapers
lewismayell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:20 AM   #6
tomd89
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I thought the 10.9 banner was a photoshop.
tomd89 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:24 AM   #7
hafr
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd89 View Post
Just a little thing I've noticed,

the iOS banner makes no mention of iOS instead just stating its version number, 7. Whereas the OS X banner has no version number (I know X means 10 originally) and just shows the brand X.

Surely is one banner says 7, the other should say 10.9 (or X.9, X10.9, big cat name). Likewise if one banner says X, the other should say iOS, or even just i.

What I am getting at here is maybe, just maybe, there aren't two OS's at all and Apple are unifying the two OS's into one called OS X 7. This would bring OS X to the iPhone and iPad, but stick with the version number of iOS to not confuse users of those devices.

It sounds weird, but just think about it. iOS 6 was a small update which may suggest Apple have been working on unifying their OS's at the same time giving them at least two years to work on it. Federici has been drafted in to head up iOS as well as OS X which may lead to the new OS being branded X rather than i.

It's a long shot, but if Apple unveiled a new OS, streamlining all their devices to run on one single platform, X, a new world really would be developing.

What does everyone think?
The moving forward from OS X should really be XI, so it should simply be OS 7 XI...
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:24 AM   #8
lewismayell
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: South West England
I also hope the transparency on the '10.9' means nothing
lewismayell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismayell View Post
I also hope the transparency on the '10.9' means nothing
Nothing means nothing...everything has hidden meaning.

There are 22,385 posts all over MR to prove this.
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:34 AM   #10
cmChimera
macrumors 68000
 
cmChimera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd89 View Post
I thought the 10.9 banner was a photoshop.
Just found this out.
cmChimera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:36 AM   #11
.:Aleph:.
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Which typeface is that? The 9 doesn't seem to be from Helvetica Neue.
.:Aleph:. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:36 AM   #12
roland.g
macrumors 603
 
roland.g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: One mile up and soaring
Um. Definitely not. They may be getting closer, bringing elements from each to the other, but what you suggest is not here, not yet at least.
__________________
I know this because Tyler knows this.
You are not a beautiful snowflake. You are the same decaying matter as everything else.
roland.g is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:39 AM   #13
fabian9
macrumors 65816
 
fabian9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafr View Post
the moving forward from os x should really be xi, so it should simply be os 7 xi...
7/11 :d
__________________
21.5" iMac with fusion drive, iPhone 5 32GB, iPad rMini 16GB, Canon 40D 24-105 F/4 L
www.fabandyou.com - my portfolio!
fabian9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:40 AM   #14
batting1000
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
The 10.9 banner is a fake.
__________________
Verizon iPhone 6 (4.7") - iOS 8.1
iPad Air - iOS 8.1
Late 2012 i5 Mac mini
batting1000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:37 PM   #15
hamis92
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Finland
A simple X has always stood for Mac OS X in Apple's marketing - OP is reading way too much into this.

Apple aren't going to go into this "one size fits all" strategy Microsoft is trying with their Windows 8.

A user interface designed for touchscreen isn't going to work well with keyboard and mouse. In turn, a UI designed for keyboard and mouse is a nightmare on touchscreen devices. If you want to use one UI for both, you need to make sacrifices in both ease of use and functionality. Fundamentally different devices need fundamentally different user interfaces.

They know that at Apple. That's why they are going to keep their operating systems distinct, instead sharing features and characteristics between them when it makes sense, instead of trying to shove all the round pegs into square holes along the way.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013 ● PowerBook G4 12" ● Various PowerPC Macs ● iPhone 5 ● iPad
hamis92 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 01:02 PM   #16
xcodeaddict
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamis92 View Post
A simple X has always stood for Mac OS X in Apple's marketing - OP is reading way too much into this.

Apple aren't going to go into this "one size fits all" strategy Microsoft is trying with their Windows 8.

A user interface designed for touchscreen isn't going to work well with keyboard and mouse. In turn, a UI designed for keyboard and mouse is a nightmare on touchscreen devices. If you want to use one UI for both, you need to make sacrifices in both ease of use and functionality. Fundamentally different devices need fundamentally different user interfaces.

They know that at Apple. That's why they are going to keep their operating systems distinct, instead sharing features and characteristics between them when it makes sense, instead of trying to shove all the round pegs into square holes along the way.
Precisely right.
xcodeaddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 01:04 PM   #17
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a
 
chrisrosemusic1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Milton Keynes, England
Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
Very excited for the new direction, just hoping it's a positive one, and not a step back.

OSX definitely needs a new 'fresh' feel, as does iOS so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Monday!
__________________
MacBook Air 13" April 2014 i5 1.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / 256GB SSD iPhone 6 64GB Space Grey iPad Air 32GB Space Grey Playstation 4
chrisrosemusic1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 01:11 PM   #18
xcodeaddict
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrosemusic1 View Post
Very excited for the new direction, just hoping it's a positive one, and not a step back.

OSX definitely needs a new 'fresh' feel, as does iOS so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Monday!
iOS could do with a new look, but I would far from call it an urgent requirement. OS X? Nope, it works as it is was intended to - why does it need a new look (again)? Do you spend your days staring at the OS elements, or actually using them? I understand it needs to be pleasing to the eye, but Mountain Lion is as far from boring or stale as I can possibly imagine.

If your eyes need stimulation that much, go out for a walk and look at the sky, the plants and the rivers.
xcodeaddict is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 01:39 PM   #19
springsup
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamis92 View Post
A simple X has always stood for Mac OS X in Apple's marketing - OP is reading way too much into this.

Apple aren't going to go into this "one size fits all" strategy Microsoft is trying with their Windows 8.

A user interface designed for touchscreen isn't going to work well with keyboard and mouse. In turn, a UI designed for keyboard and mouse is a nightmare on touchscreen devices. If you want to use one UI for both, you need to make sacrifices in both ease of use and functionality. Fundamentally different devices need fundamentally different user interfaces.

They know that at Apple. That's why they are going to keep their operating systems distinct, instead sharing features and characteristics between them when it makes sense, instead of trying to shove all the round pegs into square holes along the way.
Indeed, the most awkward thing to interact with on the touchscreen devices is when they try to emulate a keyboard.

There needs to be a better text entry system, one that has nothing to do with keyboards and that works better for touch devices. Speech and pens may have a place there.
__________________
Sterling - the budget planner
Other apps only track your history; only Sterling helps you plan your future!
springsup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 06:16 PM   #20
hamis92
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Finland
And to further attempt to explain why there's 7 but no 10.9…

Ever since Apple renamed iPhone OS into iOS (that was with version 4), the marketing has shown off the version number as the most important part of the iOS logo. We've seen the number being put into boxes with different backgrounds to make it stand out.

What we're seeing here is taking that approach to the extreme: what is the shortest and simplest way to say "new iOS" without actually saying it? Just put up the new version number.

However, the marketing for Mac OS X has historically been about emphasizing the X - of course it stands for 10 among other meanings (hence the pronounciation), but the precise version number has always been of less importance. With everything said above about iOS in mind, what is the simplest possible way to say "Mac OS X"? Of course it's just the X.


Naturally this is my opinion and reasoning so I reserve the right to be wrong on this
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013 ● PowerBook G4 12" ● Various PowerPC Macs ● iPhone 5 ● iPad

Last edited by hamis92; Jun 8, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
hamis92 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 06:21 PM   #21
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
People know 7 is for iOS and X is for OS.

Apple even said they were showing off the next iOS AND OS X in the press release.

iOS

AND

OS X

Thats 2 different things.

/rant

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamis92 View Post
And to further attempt to explain why there's 7 but no 10.9
Marketing and everything its iOS 7.


For Macs its OS X [insert cat name].

Has Apple ever said in a keynote that we're introducing today, "OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion"

Its either OS X, OS X Mountain Lion, or Mountain Lion.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 07:12 PM   #22
Sonnestah
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmChimera View Post
There's also a 10.9 banner. Simply has 10.9 on it.
Damn... so it could be iOS 7 X 10.9-all-in-one

Sonnestah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 08:04 PM   #23
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a
 
paulbennett95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Highly doubt that, desktop an mobile UIs are very different and serve different purposes.

And anyone notice how silly saying "OS X 10.9" sounds? OS ten ten point nine? Nothing like repeating the same word twice in a row
I feel saying "OS ex" rolls off the tongue better, but that's probably just me.
paulbennett95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 08:28 PM   #24
xcodeaddict
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnestah View Post
Damn... so it could be iOS 7 X 10.9-all-in-one

You can have that right now: WinMo 8 and Win 8
xcodeaddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:54 PM   #25
Sonnestah
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcodeaddict View Post
You can have that right now: WinMo 8 and Win 8
uhhh... I am sticking to iOS 7 X 10.9-all-in-one
Sonnestah is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC