Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Silverrune
macrumors regular

OS X Failed. Windows going strong?

So basically... I cannot even boot into my Mac partition anymore, it gives me the beach ball of death for 5 minutes then logs in. Finder has trouble finding files, even on a different hard drive. However, when I boot into Windows everything is normal and I can freely browse the same different hard drive. I have reset SMC and PRAM. And tried to repair the drive to no avail. I Need Help!
It might also be noted, Onyx consistently freezes on updating the Dyld's shared cache.

Last edited by Silverrune; Jun 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM.
Silverrune is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:57 AM   #2
desertman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverrune View Post
I cannot even boot into my Mac partition anymore, it gives me the beach ball of death for 5 minutes then logs in.
I'm a little bit confused here. Are you unable to boot your Mac, or do you have to wait a long time until the boot process has finished? And did anything happen or did you anything do before your Mac started to act up or has it been like this all the time?

Just in case you still can boot - you could try to delete all kinds of cache files with Mountain Lion Cache Cleaner (https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/95...-cache-cleaner). I have had cases in which MLCC did help when everything else failed.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:20 PM   #3
Silverrune
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman View Post
I'm a little bit confused here. Are you unable to boot your Mac, or do you have to wait a long time until the boot process has finished? And did anything happen or did you anything do before your Mac started to act up or has it been like this all the time?

Just in case you still can boot - you could try to delete all kinds of cache files with Mountain Lion Cache Cleaner (https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/95...-cache-cleaner). I have had cases in which MLCC did help when everything else failed.
Haha my bad. I wrote this while waiting. It ended up booting after a long wait. Closed it last night, opened it this morning and nothing was really working. All my apps crash after a little while of use. I am reinstalling OS X right now using the recovery disk. See how that goes.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Silverrune
macrumors regular

Quote:

I don't know what's going on now. Software seems to be okay. But my Mac side won't mount or even repair my external Hard drive. It will mount on windows and everything is normal.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 01:18 PM   #5
desertman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I don't know what's going on now.
Me neither. You're writing in riddles.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 01:36 PM   #6
Silverrune
macrumors regular

Quote:
Me neither. You're writing in riddles.
Haha am I? I tend not to re-read what I type. I can boot normally now. But I cannot access my external hard drive on my Mac partition. It will not mount while booted to OS X. But will when I am booted to windows.... Don't know If I am making anymore sense haha.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 02:42 PM   #7
enoC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Haha am I? I tend not to re-read what I type. I can boot normally now. But I cannot access my external hard drive on my Mac partition. It will not mount while booted to OS X. But will when I am booted to windows.... Don't know If I am making anymore sense haha.
Is the external drive formated as exFAT?
enoC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Silverrune
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by enoC View Post
No, it's formatted as Mac OS Extended.
"Verify and Repair volume “My Drive”
Checking file system
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
The volume could not be verified completely.
Volume repair complete.
Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
Error: Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."
But I can't back it up without mounting it

Last edited by Silverrune; Jun 8, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 03:48 PM   #9
Silverrune
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by enoC View Post
Any idea on how I can get my data off of it?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 04:15 PM   #10
desertman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Any idea on how I can get my data off of it?
You can try rebuilding the directory of the external hard drive with DiskWarrior: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11707/diskwarrior.

You also wrote earlier that you can see the drive when you boot into Windows. Why not copying whatever possible from within Windows onto a different external hard drive?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 04:23 PM   #11
Silverrune
macrumors regular

Something I've tried. Windows explorer (finder basically) freezes with large file transfers.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 04:32 PM   #12
desertman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Something I've tried. Windows explorer (finder basically) freezes with large file transfers.
Do it bit by bit, then.

However, maybe you have to accept that your external hard drive is defective - you can still try to repair it with DiskWarrior.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 04:36 PM   #13
Silverrune
macrumors regular

Quote:
Do it bit by bit, then.

However, maybe you have to accept that your external hard drive is defective - you can still try to repair it with DiskWarrior.
I have thousands upon thousands of files between school, iTunes, games, etc. It would take days to do it little by little. I tried with my smallest folder. School, and it still froze (800 mb). I would hate to lose the data, but in the end, if I must, I must.

Last edited by Silverrune; Jun 8, 2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 05:44 PM   #14
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
I have thousands upon thousands of files between school, iTunes, games, etc. It would take days to do it little by little. I tried with my smallest folder. School, and it still froze (800 mb). I would hate to lose the data, but in the end, if I must, I must.
There are disc recovery utilities that can recover files from a physically damaged hard drive. If the files on the damaged drive are important to you, then STOP! You have the option to buy disk recovery software or to have your nearest Mac technician recover your files from the damaged disk for you. However, continuing to futz with your damaged drive will not do any good but may do significant additional damage.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 07:23 PM   #15
Silverrune
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
There are disc recovery utilities that can recover files from a physically damaged hard drive. If the files on the damaged drive are important to you, then STOP! You have the option to buy disk recovery software or to have your nearest Mac technician recover your files from the damaged disk for you. However, continuing to futz with your damaged drive will not do any good but may do significant additional damage.
Remembered I had techtools. Started recovering and the drive completely failed half way through. Won't even pop up in disk utilities. Time to splurge and get a 4 TB drive from seagate.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 08:38 AM   #16
MisterMe
macrumors G4

TechTools is great software, but it is designed to recover deleted files. It does not recover files from physically damaged drives.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion