Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:48 PM   #1
aleksoctop
macrumors member

Thumbs down What updates do you think Siri will get with iOS7?

I personally would like to see only one.
Siri is very handy on the road, just press a button and speak to perform common actions, like 'call my wife' etc.

I totally understand the need for statistics collection, but the fact that I ask Siri to call my wife and even if she understands me (which she usually does) if there is poor 3G reception she waits until she can contact apple to make that call. At times it takes minutes, which is completely unacceptable for an Apple product, or the entire operation would fail and Siri would apologize, as if I gave half a hoot about her apologies.

Don't you also think it renders Siri much less useful to have to connect back to base for even stuff you do everyday (Like calling someone)?
It's extremely unreliable. To me it's ruined the iPhone far more than Apple Maps ever has or ever will.
aleksoctop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksoctop View Post
I personally would like to see only one.
Siri is very handy on the road, just press a button and speak to perform common actions, like 'call my wife' etc.

I totally understand the need for statistics collection, but the fact that I ask Siri to call my wife and even if she understands me (which she usually does) if there is poor 3G reception she waits until she can contact apple to make that call. At times it takes minutes, which is completely unacceptable for an Apple product, or the entire operation would fail and Siri would apologize, as if I gave half a hoot about her apologies.

Don't you also think it renders Siri much less useful to have to connect back to base for even stuff you do everyday (Like calling someone)?
It's extremely unreliable. To me it's ruined the iPhone far more than Apple Maps ever has or ever will.
I'm not clear on how one poorly functioning app ruins the iPhone. If you feel Siri stinks, don't use it. But the phone actually does some other stuff...this is one function you don't like and it "ruins" the phone?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 01:27 PM   #3
moonman239
macrumors 6502a

Siri's brains are located at Apple's headquarters. That's why you experience the problems you describe in situations where you don't have 3G.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 01:30 PM   #4
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksoctop View Post
What updates do you think Siri will get with iOS7?
Getting it to work properly in the UK and France would be a good start.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 01:36 PM   #5
blevins321
macrumors 68030

The simple "Give me directions to my next appointment" function is my biggest desire right now.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 02:42 PM   #6
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

I love Siri. I use her (it) on a daily basis. But does anyone feel like she has become less knowledgeable and understanding since launch? In the past, I almost never had to correct the interpretation. While I wouldn't say it's a frequent occurrence nowadays it's definitely more often. It just seems like she knows what I want less often now too.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 03:27 PM   #7
virginblue4
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMark View Post
Getting it to work properly in the UK and France would be a good start.
Siri works perfectly for me in the UK.
virginblue4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 04:11 PM   #8
cynics
macrumors 603

I wish she could understand me better. She's hopeless at names not in my contact list, so she hopeless at directions. Entering an address is kind of a pain for me when I should be able to say it.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 04:12 PM   #9
xcodeaddict
Banned

An Australian voice?
xcodeaddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 04:49 PM   #10
aleksoctop
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I'm not clear on how one poorly functioning app ruins the iPhone. If you feel Siri stinks, don't use it. But the phone actually does some other stuff...this is one function you don't like and it "ruins" the phone?
Yes, that was admittedly overstating it.
I'm just saying, as a feature that Apple pushes, and with Apple's super-high standards, I don't know how it's acceptable for the action to take up to two minutes (no lie!). Siri is super-useful in the car, if it works. Bunch of other competing apps have a similar service that takes seconds to execute from command. I like siri, but the reliability is the lowest I've seen on any Apple product.
aleksoctop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 04:50 PM   #11
Cpt. Gilgamesh
macrumors newbie

As for whether or not this would be included in iOS 7, I don't know, but this is my own personal wish.

I agree; I think Siri should be able to complete certain tasks without an internet connection. For instance: calling a contact, replying to a missed call with one of the preset responses, and playing music just to mention a few off the top of my head. I think this is becoming less of a need now that we have nearly constant internet access, but it would speed up some of these functions. I mean these are crucial tasks that, like you mentioned, can take Siri minutes just to process.

Maybe Siri is getting slower because more people are using the service? When I first got my iPhone 5 it worked perfectly. Now, Siri is working kind of slow. Which is a shame as I actually use it a lot for when I'm on the road. I'm able to use the EarPods under my helmet on my motorcycle and the microphone works awesome when I'm going at slow speeds or I'm at a stoplight. However, Siri can't even tell me the time some of the time. Which is depressing when compared to something like Google's service, which works virtually 100%.
Cpt. Gilgamesh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 05:27 PM   #12
stephen1108
macrumors 6502a

If the normal Voice Control doesn't require an internet connection, I would appreciate if Siri would fall back on that when there is a poor signal/no connection.
stephen1108 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2013, 05:34 PM   #13
Cpt. Gilgamesh
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1108 View Post
If the normal Voice Control doesn't require an internet connection, I would appreciate if Siri would fall back on that when there is a poor signal/no connection.
I honestly can't remember, but I thought Voice Control did require at least some connection to the web. Maybe I'm mistaken. I don't see why Siri couldn't. I mean, even at Razr back in the gap could dial a contact using voice, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't using data.
Cpt. Gilgamesh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Tags
ios6, ios7, iphone, siri, siri not working iphone 5