Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RowellE

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
My 2010 13inch MBP was stolen at the end of March and had no luck recovering it. For the past few months I've been looking around for a thinner, lighter replacement, going back and forth from the Air, Dell XPS 13, Asus Zenbook Prime, and the Samsung Series 9. Ultimately, I decided to go with the Air mostly because it's just so gosh darn sexy.

I've been saving up for the new Airs which will hopefully be released on Monday and had a question for you all.

I would like to avoid paying tax so I've been looking at reseller sites, primarily MacMall.com. Does anyone know if they and/or other major resellers get the new stuff the same day they go on sale at the Apple stores? If not, how long until they usually get it?

I plan on getting the base model 13in MBA with maxed out RAM. Will that RAM configuration delay shipping? I'll be needing this laptop in mid July for the San Diego Comic-Con where I cover press rooms for several TV shows from Warner Bros. Television. I'll be sitting in front of my computer on Monday ready to order as soon as it goes on sale, so hopefully I won't have to wait long to receive it.

Any info from you guys will be greatly appreciated!

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
My 2010 13inch MBP was stolen at the end of March and had no luck recovering it. For the past few months I've been looking around for a thinner, lighter replacement, going back and forth from the Air, Dell XPS 13, Asus Zenbook Prime, and the Samsung Series 9. Ultimately, I decided to go with the Air mostly because it's just so gosh darn sexy.

I've been saving up for the new Airs which will hopefully be released on Monday and had a question for you all.

I would like to avoid paying tax so I've been looking at reseller sites, primarily MacMall.com. Does anyone know if they and/or other major resellers get the new stuff the same day they go on sale at the Apple stores? If not, how long until they usually get it?

I plan on getting the base model 13in MBA with maxed out RAM. Will that RAM configuration delay shipping? I'll be needing this laptop in mid July for the San Diego Comic-Con where I cover press rooms for several TV shows from Warner Bros. Television. I'll be sitting in front of my computer on Monday ready to order as soon as it goes on sale, so hopefully I won't have to wait long to receive it.

hard to say. my feeling always was that amazon claimed to get them immediately after the release but then the shipping was two weeks later.

do you have any chance to buy at an apple store in a tax fee state like NH?

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
hard to say. my feeling always was that amazon claimed to get them immediately after the release but then the shipping was two weeks later.

do you have any chance to buy at an apple store in a tax fee state like NH?

or see if your state has tax holidays which are often mid to late summer.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I plan on getting the base model 13in MBA with maxed out RAM. Will that RAM configuration delay shipping?
If you're looking at something other than the base configurations, your best bet is placing an order with Apple as soon as the store is back up after the new Air is announced.

There have been threads about various stores that offer CTO configurations and taking months to get them. Remember after you order a CTO configuration from a store, they have to order it from Apple. And by the time they order it a lot of people will have ordered directly from Apple.

mj1108

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
California
I'm wondering the same thing. I would like to get mine at Best Buy just so I can take advantage of the 18 months at 0% offer.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011

I highlighted the only relevant portion of your post, 'hidden' amongst the irrelevant. Hopefully, if your cover[ing] the press rooms involves reporting, you'll be able to get to your point faster.

Answer: It varies, but usually withing a week for the base models, which you indicated you do NOT want. A base model is a base model. A base model 'with maxed out RAM' is NOT a base model. So, yes, it will delay shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.