Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 9, 2013, 08:30 AM   #1
DBZmusicboy01
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
3 Reasons why the 5S will be a Major success...

Many of the 4S owner's contract will expire so they might plan on getting the new iPhone...
iOS 7 and it's exclusive features for the 5S like fingerprint scanner and others.
Better everything that would make many iPhone 5 owners want to get it like a WAY better camera with dual flash and better quality..no more scuffs hopefully and better speakers/microphone. MAYBE even a bigger screen. But the 5S will be the best S model update ever. Quote me when this becomes true.
DBZmusicboy01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 08:33 AM   #2
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020
 
Mac'nCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Hold on, gonna pop some corn, this is going to be fun...
Mac'nCheese is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 08:35 AM   #3
thehustleman
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
They have a long way to go..
thehustleman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 08:41 AM   #4
cynics
macrumors 603
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I believe hardware is going to be the same externally. So no dual flash or fingerprint scanner (dumb anyway but that's just my opinion). It will get your typical better camera, faster processor, etc.

Then some exclusive feature like all the S models have had.

I think it will be a success because its an iPhone.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Hankster
macrumors 68000
 
Hankster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZmusicboy01 View Post
• Many of the 4S owner's contract will expire so they might plan on getting the new iPhone...
• iOS 7 and it's exclusive features for the 5S like fingerprint scanner and others. Fingerprint feature is only rumor and it's a novelty feature at the moment. Nothing to truly force users to upgrade or buy. Also, other upgrades are still unknown.
• Better everything that would make many iPhone 5 owners want to get it like a WAY better camera with dual flash and better quality..no more scuffs hopefully and better speakers/microphone. MAYBE even a bigger screen. But the 5S will be the best S model update ever. Quote me when this becomes true. Camera is a camera. No one ever upgrades and pays $200 for a slightly better camera phone. All rumors lead to same size screen (biggest downfall).
I'm sure you'd love for Apple to come busting out with a great product, but all rumors point to the 5S having minor upgrades and that's about it. Nothing ground breaking or truly innovative enough to draw new customers. They came out with Siri and while it was fun for a few months, I use Siri less than once a month now and it's only for calling people while driving. Siri is no longer a make/break feature.

The phone will do well, but nothing like before. Too many consumers have already moved to Samsung. And, just like Apple users once you're on a platform it's very hard to leave since you spend money on apps, etc.
__________________

iMac - MacBook Air - iPhone - iPad - Shuffle - Nikon
Hankster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 09:11 AM   #6
CEmajr
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
It will be a success regardless because it's the new iPhone. Just like every year and model before it the iPhone 5S will be the new "best selling iPhone ever".
CEmajr is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 09:21 AM   #7
MrMacMack
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
It's a sick spell Apple has over us isn't it?
MrMacMack is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZmusicboy01 View Post
Many of the 4S owner's contract will expire so they might plan on getting the new iPhone...
By this logic the 5 was a success because the 4 contracts were expiring, and the 4s was a success because the 3GS contracts also expired
Mrbobb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:43 AM   #9
ReallyBigFeet
macrumors 68030
 
ReallyBigFeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
I'm sure you'd love for Apple to come busting out with a great product, but all rumors point to the 5S having minor upgrades and that's about it. Nothing ground breaking or truly innovative enough to draw new customers. They came out with Siri and while it was fun for a few months, I use Siri less than once a month now and it's only for calling people while driving. Siri is no longer a make/break feature.

The phone will do well, but nothing like before. Too many consumers have already moved to Samsung. And, just like Apple users once you're on a platform it's very hard to leave since you spend money on apps, etc.
Android users spend 30% less time on apps, and iOS is clearly the dominant force when it comes to the network effect. Power Users prefer iOS.

Source.
ReallyBigFeet is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 11:51 AM   #10
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Upgrades cycles are a huge reason.

"Better everything" is not a reason and dual flash makes for a marginally better camera indoors.
Jimmy James is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 12:02 PM   #11
Jimbo47
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I'm one of the 4S owners waiting to see what the 5S has to offer. I am eligible for an upgrade this coming week, as should all the other launch day adopters.
Jimbo47 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 12:17 PM   #12
darster
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
If the iphone 5S was dramatically better than the 5, it would be at the forefront of WWDC. In fact, we will likely hear nothing about it at WWDC.
darster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 01:02 PM   #13
rockitdog
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Kind of hard to make any predictions until something is announced.... History tells is the 5S will be an incremental update but we all just have to sit back and wait and see.....
__________________
Talk nerdy to me!
|13" late 2012 MBP | Black Ipad 2
Galaxy S5 while I wait for the iPhone 6!
rockitdog is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 01:10 PM   #14
chrf097
macrumors 68030
 
chrf097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
If the iphone 5S was dramatically better than the 5, it would be at the forefront of WWDC. In fact, we will likely hear nothing about it at WWDC.
No it wouldn't. It could have a 5 inch screen and an 8 core processor and we wouldn't.

Apple moved the iPhone launch to Fall, so they could show off iOS at WWDC.

They have ALWAYS shown the next version of iOS before the next iPhone

iOS 2.0 Reveal (March 2008) -> iPhone 3G (WWDC 2008, June)
iOS 3.0 Reveal (March 2009) -> iPhone 3GS (WWDC 2009, June)
iOS 4.0 Reveal (April 2010) -> iPhone 4 (WWDC 2010, June)
iOS 5.0 Reveal (WWDC 2011, June) -> iPhone 4S (October 2011)
iOS 6.0 Reveal (WWDC 2012, June) -> iPhone 5 (September 2012)
iOS 7.0 Reveal (WWDC 2013, June) -> 7th Generation iPhone, Fall 2013
__________________
13" Macbook Pro | Mac OS 10.9.4 | Windows 8.1 Pro | 2.4GHz Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB
Samsung GS4 | Black | 32GB | Android 4.4.2 |
iPad mini 2 | Grey | 16 GB WiFi | iOS 8b2

chrf097 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 01:13 PM   #15
TWD98j
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
It will be a success because it will be the "new" iPhone for 2013, regardless of which features it may include.

And yes, those of us, such as myself whose 4S contracts are eligible for an upgrade and have been waiting patiently, will have something to look forward to.

In hindsight, the 4S did not bring much major or innovative to the table, but, coming from a 3GS and having skipped the 4, it was a welcome upgrade. As I am sure that coming from a 4S, and having skipped the 5, will make the 5S a welcome upgrade as well.
TWD98j is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 05:40 PM   #16
Knockoutjosie
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I had a 4s but went to a 4 32 gig. Now I can't wait for the 5s. It will be like a 3 year update 😃
Knockoutjosie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 06:45 PM   #17
AlabamaSlammer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Alabama
Have to say that I just sold my iphone 5 32gb and went to the galaxy s4. Android has improved so much since I last used it ( Droid 2 on gingerbread ) was the last time I used it. Yes, that phone sucked.

But anyway, with what apps I use and the tasks I do, not to mention the screen, I just had to make the switch.

I do miss taking pictures the iphone 5 and when I get home they are ready to edit in iphoto but taking the extra step to upload to google drive is not that big of deal. Still have the ipad 4 and I am excited to see what ios 7 brings but for me the iphone just didn't do it anymore.

People waiting on the 5s, should really take a good look at the s4, htc one, or note 3 (when it comes out)... Personal opinion
__________________
2012 13" RMBP, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd
Verizon 16gb Moto X
16gb iPad Mini Jailbroken 7.1.2
AlabamaSlammer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 06:47 PM   #18
thehustleman
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaSlammer View Post
Have to say that I just sold my iphone 5 32gb and went to the galaxy s4. Android has improved so much since I last used it ( Droid 2 on gingerbread ) was the last time I used it. Yes, that phone sucked.

But anyway, with what apps I use and the tasks I do, not to mention the screen, I just had to make the switch.

I do miss taking pictures the iphone 5 and when I get home they are ready to edit in iphoto but taking the extra step to upload to google drive is not that big of deal. Still have the ipad 4 and I am excited to see what ios 7 brings but for me the iphone just didn't do it anymore.

People waiting on the 5s, should really take a good look at the s4, htc one, or note 3 (when it comes out)... Personal opinion
My coworker did the same thing. He's had every iphone since the original..

Never thought I'd see him make such a huge upgrade
thehustleman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 06:59 PM   #19
`ShawnD
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZmusicboy01 View Post
Many of the 4S owner's contract will expire so they might plan on getting the new iPhone...
iOS 7 and it's exclusive features for the 5S like fingerprint scanner and others.
Better everything that would make many iPhone 5 owners want to get it like a WAY better camera with dual flash and better quality..no more scuffs hopefully and better speakers/microphone. MAYBE even a bigger screen. But the 5S will be the best S model update ever. Quote me when this becomes true.
I'll actually be upgrading from the 5 if they fix the anodizing issue on the 5S. One decent 5S-exclusive feature, and I'll have a justification.
`ShawnD is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 08:48 PM   #20
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZmusicboy01 View Post
no more scuffs hopefully.
Hopefully.
F123D is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 08:49 PM   #21
hovscorpion12
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
The iPhone 5S will be the same as the iPhone 5. Same design, same screen size. The only thing new is processor and RAM. Maybe camera. Just like iPhone 4 to 4S
hovscorpion12 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 08:52 PM   #22
portishead
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: los angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
No it wouldn't. It could have a 5 inch screen and an 8 core processor and we wouldn't.

Apple moved the iPhone launch to Fall, so they could show off iOS at WWDC.

They have ALWAYS shown the next version of iOS before the next iPhone

iOS 2.0 Reveal (March 2008) -> iPhone 3G (WWDC 2008, June)
iOS 3.0 Reveal (March 2009) -> iPhone 3GS (WWDC 2009, June)
iOS 4.0 Reveal (April 2010) -> iPhone 4 (WWDC 2010, June)
iOS 5.0 Reveal (WWDC 2011, June) -> iPhone 4S (October 2011)
iOS 6.0 Reveal (WWDC 2012, June) -> iPhone 5 (September 2012)
iOS 7.0 Reveal (WWDC 2013, June) -> 7th Generation iPhone, Fall 2013
Sounds about right. I think you're onto something.
portishead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 08:53 PM   #23
koma0716
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Looking forward to it
koma0716 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 08:55 PM   #24
TOMIMOT
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
I believe hardware is going to be the same externally. So no dual flash or fingerprint scanner (dumb anyway but that's just my opinion). It will get your typical better camera, faster processor, etc.

Then some exclusive feature like all the S models have had.

I think it will be a success because its an iPhone.
I have to agree with you on this one, basically just the 5 juiced up internally. I think that iOS7 will play a huge part in this conference not the 5S like everyone else is speculating.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro 2011, Mountain Lion
iPhone 5S, 16GB || iPod Classic, 160GB
TOMIMOT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 09:32 PM   #25
kas23
macrumors 603
 
kas23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
One reason (actually a few reasons) why the iPhone 5S will not be a huge success:

All the major carriers going to a every 24 month upgrade policy.

Gone will be the days of people upgrading their iPhones annually (unless you will be paying full price, which I'm sure is not the reason iPhones sell so many units).
kas23 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What are your reasons that you must have a Mac? galaksy MacBook Pro 38 May 21, 2014 09:37 AM
Reasons for 5C pricing NickPhamUK iPhone 2 Sep 11, 2013 11:11 AM
Reasons for the 5C monaarts iPhone 3 Sep 11, 2013 09:31 AM
Reasons why upgrading to the 5 aren't worth the hassle (and reasons why I should). Big.Mac.Daddy iPhone 9 Sep 20, 2012 09:33 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC