Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 9, 2013, 11:31 AM   #1
chrf097
macrumors 68030
 
chrf097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Earth
Will Verizon Unlock my iPhone?

So I decided on getting the iPhone 5 (and I couldn't be happier), and what I want to do is sell my old iPhone 4S and get some money back from it, but of course I'd want to sell it unlocked. Since the phone isn't on a contract anymore, will Verizon allow me to unlock the phone? Can I do it online, over the phone, or do I have to take it into the store? I've never unlocked a phone before and I've never dealt with how to do this, so please let me know!
__________________
13" Macbook Pro | Mac OS 10.10 | 2.4GHz Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB
iPhone 6 | Gold | 16GB | iOS 8.1 | Verizon | Jailbroken
iPad mini Retina | Space Gray | 16 GB WiFi | iOS 8.1

chrf097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Even if they unlock your old Verizon 4S it can only be used with GSM carriers outside the US.
It wont function inside the US with another carrier.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 12:09 PM   #3
chrf097
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
chrf097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Even if they unlock your old Verizon 4S it can only be used with GSM carriers outside the US.
It wont function inside the US with another carrier.
Really?

How come?
__________________
13" Macbook Pro | Mac OS 10.10 | 2.4GHz Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB
iPhone 6 | Gold | 16GB | iOS 8.1 | Verizon | Jailbroken
iPad mini Retina | Space Gray | 16 GB WiFi | iOS 8.1

chrf097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 12:52 PM   #4
CEmajr
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
Really?

How come?
Because the CDMA carriers Sprint and Verizon have blocked their 4S from accessing other networks in fear of people leaving the carrier.
CEmajr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 01:37 PM   #5
chrf097
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
chrf097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
Because the CDMA carriers Sprint and Verizon have blocked their 4S from accessing other networks in fear of people leaving the carrier.
So then why didn't they block the iPhone 5?
__________________
13" Macbook Pro | Mac OS 10.10 | 2.4GHz Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB
iPhone 6 | Gold | 16GB | iOS 8.1 | Verizon | Jailbroken
iPad mini Retina | Space Gray | 16 GB WiFi | iOS 8.1

chrf097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
So then why didn't they block the iPhone 5?
That's a different story.
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 01:41 PM   #7
chrf097
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
chrf097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
That's a different story.
Well how so?

I'm not trying to be annoying, I'm just genuinely curious why.
__________________
13" Macbook Pro | Mac OS 10.10 | 2.4GHz Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB
iPhone 6 | Gold | 16GB | iOS 8.1 | Verizon | Jailbroken
iPad mini Retina | Space Gray | 16 GB WiFi | iOS 8.1

chrf097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 01:45 PM   #8
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000
 
ritmomundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bel Air, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
So I decided on getting the iPhone 5 (and I couldn't be happier), and what I want to do is sell my old iPhone 4S and get some money back from it, but of course I'd want to sell it unlocked. Since the phone isn't on a contract anymore, will Verizon allow me to unlock the phone? Can I do it online, over the phone, or do I have to take it into the store? I've never unlocked a phone before and I've never dealt with how to do this, so please let me know!
AFAIK, Verizon doesn't unlock anything. Verizon phones don't work on other carriers.

You have to sell your 4S as a "Verizon phone."

The iPhone 5 is "unlocked" as such because it is a "world phone" and can be used with a sim card anywhere in the world EXCEPT within the US, where it will only work on Verizon.
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 01:46 PM   #9
CEmajr
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
AFAIK, Verizon doesn't unlock anything. Verizon phones don't work on other carriers.

You have to sell your 4S as a "Verizon phone."

The iPhone 5 is "unlocked" as such because it is a "world phone" and can be used with a sim card anywhere in the world EXCEPT within the US, where it will only work on Verizon.
Actually the Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked even for US use.
CEmajr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 01:49 PM   #10
chrf097
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
chrf097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
AFAIK, Verizon doesn't unlock anything. Verizon phones don't work on other carriers.

You have to sell your 4S as a "Verizon phone."

The iPhone 5 is "unlocked" as such because it is a "world phone" and can be used with a sim card anywhere in the world EXCEPT within the US, where it will only work on Verizon.
Except the iPhone 4S is also a world phone, as said by the person above me. My iPhone 5 works on AT&T just as it does on Verizon. That's why I'm now curious why the iPhone 5 is like that, but not the 4S.
__________________
13" Macbook Pro | Mac OS 10.10 | 2.4GHz Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB
iPhone 6 | Gold | 16GB | iOS 8.1 | Verizon | Jailbroken
iPad mini Retina | Space Gray | 16 GB WiFi | iOS 8.1

chrf097 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 01:54 PM   #11
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Has to do with an agreement verizon has with the government to have the LTE iPhone unlocked out of the box for any gsm carrier including for US use.
It's all politics. Give me this I will do that etc...
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 01:58 PM   #12
chrf097
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
chrf097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Has to do with an agreement verizon has with the government to have the LTE iPhone unlocked out of the box for any gsm carrier including for US use.
It's all politics. Give me this I will do that etc...
Ahh, all right then. Fair enough.

Since I have to sell it as a Verizon model, do I still have to have them do any specific to make it re-sellable?
__________________
13" Macbook Pro | Mac OS 10.10 | 2.4GHz Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB
iPhone 6 | Gold | 16GB | iOS 8.1 | Verizon | Jailbroken
iPad mini Retina | Space Gray | 16 GB WiFi | iOS 8.1

chrf097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 02:00 PM   #13
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000
 
ritmomundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bel Air, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
Actually the Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked even for US use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
Except the iPhone 4S is also a world phone, as said by the person above me. My iPhone 5 works on AT&T just as it does on Verizon. That's why I'm now curious why the iPhone 5 is like that, but not the 4S.
Oops, my mistake. Yes, the Verizon iPhone 5 can run on GSM networks in the US too (for some reason, I was thinking about something else).

It has something to do with the bands the carriers need to run on, and the bands actually installed in the phone.

You know what... I don't feel 100% confident that I'm giving you the correct information here, so I'm just going to bow out and let someone with more experience/knowledge step in.

----------

Oh, a quick google search found this thread:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/696707

May be worth a read.
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 03:49 PM   #14
dictoresno
macrumors 68020
 
dictoresno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
Ahh, all right then. Fair enough.

Since I have to sell it as a Verizon model, do I still have to have them do any specific to make it re-sellable?
all you have to do is find another Verizon user to buy it and youre all set. Just have verizon verify the MEID/ESN or whatever is unassociated from your account so the next person can use it.
__________________
Verizon iPhone 6, 128GB Space Grey
iPad Mini 16GB Black, iPad 1 32 GB Black
iPod Touch 4th Generation 64GB Black
dictoresno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:23 AM   #15
ross1998
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Yeah starting after iPhone 5 all of Verizon's LTE phones are factory unlocked, I believe it was when Verizon was buying spectrum they were forced to factory unlock all there new LTE phones to buy that spectrum
ross1998 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 08:07 AM   #16
alastairhall
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Will Verizon Unlock my iPhone?

The best way to contact someone from version and clear all your doubts.
alastairhall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 08:36 AM   #17
dictoresno
macrumors 68020
 
dictoresno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastairhall View Post
The best way to contact someone from version and clear all your doubts.
thanks, albeit late to the thread. but the doubts were taken care of by our replies.

a 4S can be unlocked, but only for foreign SIM use. it cannot be used with at&t or t-mobile in the states.....only Verizon.

the verizon iphone 5 comes fully unlocked and can be used right out of the box with any carriers SIM here or overseas.

if the OP has an iphone 4S, his best bet is to just sell it to another Verizon CDMA user then purchase the phone of his choice after that.
__________________
Verizon iPhone 6, 128GB Space Grey
iPad Mini 16GB Black, iPad 1 32 GB Black
iPod Touch 4th Generation 64GB Black
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 05:21 PM   #18
taedouni
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
The iPhone 5 used Verizon's LTE network. The condition for Verizon to purchase the C Block 700 MHz spectrum was that there could be no restriction on devices that use the network.
taedouni is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 08:29 PM   #19
Satnam1989
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Has to do with an agreement verizon has with the government to have the LTE iPhone unlocked out of the box for any gsm carrier including for US use.
It's all politics. Give me this I will do that etc...
Its not just iPhone...Verizon all LTE phones are unlocked due to FCC ruling...

Recently played around with a Q10, S4 and Z10...all Unlocked...iPhone 5 we already know
Satnam1989 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 09:45 PM   #20
KUguardgrl13
macrumors 68000
 
KUguardgrl13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Kansas, USA
The thing with Verizon LTE phones being unlocked though is that I believe they can only use 2G or edge, maybe 3G. I'm pretty sure it can't use HSPA+ or LTE on a different carrier. Could be wrong though.

OP, you should be able to sell the 4S on Craigslist or something like that as a Verizon phone and then transfer it in a store. Otherwise there are those websites like gazelle where you can send the phone in and they cut you a check.
KUguardgrl13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:04 PM   #21
dictoresno
macrumors 68020
 
dictoresno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUguardgrl13 View Post
The thing with Verizon LTE phones being unlocked though is that I believe they can only use 2G or edge, maybe 3G. I'm pretty sure it can't use HSPA+ or LTE on a different carrier. Could be wrong though.

OP, you should be able to sell the 4S on Craigslist or something like that as a Verizon phone and then transfer it in a store. Otherwise there are those websites like gazelle where you can send the phone in and they cut you a check.
they can use HSPA+, at least on US frequencies, but only LTE on Verizon and parts of Europe due to the frequencies they have.

an unlocked verizon iphone 5 on at&t will get HSPA+ at best. when i was in Iceland, i only got 3G on the local Siminn network as they dont have 4G there.
__________________
Verizon iPhone 6, 128GB Space Grey
iPad Mini 16GB Black, iPad 1 32 GB Black
iPod Touch 4th Generation 64GB Black
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:43 PM   #22
h00man
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Locked iPhone 5, Verizon, out of US.. Locked?!?

Read all about all iphones from Verizon supposedly being unlocked. So... I bought a Verizon iPhone 5 in the US, second-hand. Did not even verify the ESN. Traveled to Brazil. Now, it will not accept a SIM card, seems to be locked. Insert the SIM, and iTunes and Iphone keep saying:

"The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone.Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."

The person selling me the phone seemed very conservative, careful, sold me the phone in mint condition, with the box, all cables, manual, etc. So I really doubt it is stolen. I suspect the phone is still on-contract, but someone stopped paying the contract and sold the phone. What's a reliable site to check out the ESN/IMEI for the phone?
h00man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:58 PM   #23
aneftp
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
So then why didn't they block the iPhone 5?
It has to do with their agreement with the FCC they made not to "restrict LTE devices"

That means verizon cannot throttle LTE devices. The real reason why verizon forced people off their unlimited data if they upgraded their phones with subsidized phone.

U can use ur unlimited phone lte sim in any device u want (tablet, midi lte device). As long as its am lte (verizon certified device ) u can use it.
aneftp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:48 AM   #24
aimee.elizabeth
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I'm pretty sure Verizon have the same service, but I asked AT&T to unlock my iphone 5 because I needed to spend 2 months in china, and they did it very gladly and hassle-free. For AT&T I just had fill out an online form and submit it and that was it. Calling customer service works as well. I'm in china and using china mobile as my carrier and it works perfectly. There are some prerequisite such as having been a customer for x amount of time, and you can't unlock more than 5 phones in one year, which shouldn't be a problem.

Anyways I recall seeing maybe the same option for Verizon, maybe dig around? Hope this works
aimee.elizabeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 01:16 PM   #25
emscie
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee.elizabeth View Post
I'm pretty sure Verizon have the same service, but I asked AT&T to unlock my iphone 5 because I needed to spend 2 months in china, and they did it very gladly and hassle-free. For AT&T I just had fill out an online form and submit it and that was it. Calling customer service works as well. I'm in china and using china mobile as my carrier and it works perfectly. There are some prerequisite such as having been a customer for x amount of time, and you can't unlock more than 5 phones in one year, which shouldn't be a problem.

Anyways I recall seeing maybe the same option for Verizon, maybe dig around? Hope this works
A quick question, did you complete the unlock process with iTunes in the US? I am trying to sell a new phone that has been unlocked by att and I am not sure if I should the restore via iTunes myself or let the buyer do this.
Also how do I advertise a never used iphone 5 unlocked by att? I don't understand all this gam CDMA etc... crap.
emscie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone: temporarilly unlock iphone 4s Verizon then use on verizon again aPple nErd Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 8 Aug 15, 2013 07:07 AM
Unlock Verizon iPhone 4S shockys iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Apr 24, 2013 09:55 AM
ATT/Verizon off-contract iPhone 5 unlock same as factory unlock? alexcsm iPhone 11 Oct 12, 2012 09:40 PM
Verizon Pay As You Go on Unlock No Contract Verizon iPhone 5? apierrec iPhone 0 Sep 23, 2012 01:36 PM
How do I unlock a verizon iPhone 4s 5.1.1? benfn10 iPhone 3 Jul 7, 2012 05:17 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC