Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robivy64

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2004
Fort Worth, TX
Howdy!

I picked up a Macintosh Classic today for free off of Craigslist. The original owner had it stored in his attic and had forgotten about it until this weekend, when he was moving out of his house.

It is in "decent" conditions. Many years in a hot attic in Texas. Surprisingly, the battery shows zero signs of leaking (removed it anyway, but still surprising). Case has a few cracks, and is yellowed overall. HDD sounds like a garbage disposal. CRT is crisp and bright. Boots to a sad mac (failed caps).

I have new capacitors on order, but should I give this computer the complete restoration treatment? If the case was in good shape, I would say yes, but I don't see myself finding a replacement case easily without just buying a new Mac Classic...

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If it was first hundred produced with the Mac team signatures on the inside cover definitely, but a run of the mill production? Really up to you.

Time, money and whether you have room for another display toy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.