Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Hi all,

I'm on the hunt for an alarm app that can activate the alarm upon receiving an email. Somehow. Right now I am working a job co-ordinating a tripping program and we're using SPOT devices out in the field to check in. On these devices you can press "ok", "help" or "911". You can specify different settings for each option, so a different set of people are emailed or texted when different buttons are pressed.

Problem is, where i am there is no phone service so I am looking for a mac app that can wake me up in case anyone hits "help" or "911" on the device. My idea is to leave my mac on next to my bed each night in case this should happen. Then have screamo or something playing if it does.

Does anyone know of an app for macs like this? Appreciate any help you can give in advance!

Tim

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Buump. Something like this has to exist doesn't it?

Just playing off the above tip.

Setup a rule in Mail that watches for the email address you will receive the messages from. Then have that trigger an Applescript.

Use the text below for your Applescript. Change the section within the quotes to whatever you want. When a message comes in that triggers the rule tour Mac will talk to you and say the words in the quotes.

Code:
say "Hey Melan stuff is going down and you need to wake up"

H7EedVd.png

Melan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Just playing off the above tip.

Setup a rule in Mail that watches for the email address you will receive the messages from. Then have that trigger an Applescript.

Use the text below for your Applescript. Change the section within the quotes to whatever you want. When a message comes in that triggers the rule tour Mac will talk to you and say the words in the quotes.

Code:
say "Hey Melan stuff is going down and you need to wake up"

Oh great point, thanks! I don't use Mail but maybe I will switch over for this. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.