Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Yeah I'm thinking fall as well. I think we'd see more leaks if it was being released or announced tomorrow.

They will save Ipad mini and Iphone 5S for September.

Ipad 5 seems the most ready Apple product.

The heavily discounted Ipad 4's and bnew cases indicate an Ipad 5 is due.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

What iPad 4 discounts? Do you have links to any good deals?

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
since they dont want to pin a retina mini against a thinner ipad 5 they should release the ipad 5 now and the ipad mini retina in the fall, since the mini retina is the perfect holiday gift at the price point

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Agree with the others. No chance for a new iOS device tomorrow. (Still Saturday here in California ) They will discuss iOS 7, OS X 10.9 and probably new MacBooks and a Mac Pro plus the usual chatter about apple stores, iPhone and iPad sales and iOS adoption and app downloads. Maybe some big upgrade to Xcode. That's a lot for two hours. A new iPad will need an hour by itself.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

Assuming the iPad 5 is getting the "mini treatment" we'd have seen several months of leaked photos (and not from case manufacturers) showing the new form factor. That simply has not happened yet, but from here on, over the next few months, I'd expect to see a ramp up of leaks and photos indicating a release is about to happen.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

If production starts in July, expect a 2 - 3 month delay while they build a stock of millions of units in warehouses around the world available for shipment day one it's announced and released.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
IPad 3 was launched in March.
Production had started in December.

If production of iPad 5 really starts in July, expect a launch in October.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I prefer a Mini 2 to tell the truth so it doesn't matter to me personally when the iPad 5 is announced/released. It will be more expensive than the Mini so I'll just wait and use what I have now which BTW is keeping me happy currently.

Any +1s with folks looking to do the same thing? :)

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008

you really shouldn't set yourself up for disappointment. like all others have said, wasn't in the cards to begin with.

Xplicit iPhone

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2013
The hype?

I honestly don't get what the hype is for the ipad5... The ipad 4 has retina display, great brain and ram with the amazing lightning dock.... What can the 5 offer? Apart from a new look

They need to release ipad mini 2 in all honesty

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
I honestly don't get what the hype is for the ipad5... The ipad 4 has retina display, great brain and ram with the amazing lightning dock.... What can the 5 offer? Apart from a new look

They need to release ipad mini 2 in all honesty

The one killer feature for iPad 5 won't be the new design (which I'm convinced is coming now if only because Apple introduced edge swipe gestures to the base OS & they work best with thin bezel) but the reduced weight that goes with it. Right now the compromise to run a retina display at what Apple consider acceptable performance levels is the need for a huge and heavy battery pack for the screen and CPU/GPU. Only real way to do a mini-style design is to cut power requirements to allow the same run time on a smaller and lighter battery pack (or increase the capacity of the packs to fit into the smaller space which would have, more or less, the same effect).

There's also still the problem of GPU. The 4 is an improvement over the 3 but both are still pushing what the silicon can do. Ultimately Apple need PowerVR 6 (Rogue) chips to really make the most out of the display on the iPad and that should be available in time for the 5 if the rumours are right. Even if Rogue only manages 75% of what they're claiming it'd be a huge jump forward from the current GPU cores. What's interesting is that Rogue is also supposed to be at least decent at GPU Compute (offshoring calculations from CPU to GPU) which could offer Apple some new options particularly in photography or video apps.

BTW the same problems apply to the iPad Mini only reversed. In that case Apple took the other compromise focusing on form over the function of a Retina display (likely because they physically couldn't do a retina display in that size/weight of device). If they've cracked the problem for the 5 to let it shrink down and go on a diet the same tech could likely go into the mini and enable the use of a Retina display, albeit maybe slightly cut down from big brother (so, say, a 2 core GPU instead of 4).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.