Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jun 9, 2013, 07:57 PM   #1
fertilized-egg
macrumors 68000

Are we ready for iPad "Maxi"?

A rumor just bubbled up overseas that Samsung is going to introduce a large (12.2 inch diagonal) tablet later this year around September with Sharp's 25601600 IGZO display.

What's interesting is the article specifically says they are doing it so that their larger tablet will be available in the market before Apple's iPad "Maxi" (tentative name) arrives because Cupertino is set to introduce the larger iPad early next year. I have no idea if it's true or not but it's conceivable Apple's competitors heard a leak through the suppliers that Apple is looking to make one soon.

We already had 12+ inch Linux and Android tablets before so it's not exactly a new development. However if Apple is making one, it'll be very interesting to see what kind of new marketing hook and use cases they present for the product as well as what they are doing about the resolution.

As long as it's kept relatively light, I'd love to have a larger iPad that's closer to the size of the regular letter paper (~14" diagonal)
fertilized-egg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 11:03 PM   #2
ihakim
macrumors member

Maxi-pad. That's all I can think about when I see iPad Maxi.

Last edited by ihakim; Jun 9, 2013 at 11:14 PM.
ihakim is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 11:49 PM   #3
neutrino23
macrumors 65816

ID have to try it first but I think I'd buy one. The larger surface area would be nice for viewing movies and photos and for creating Keynotes and other media.

This would have the smallest market share but there is no harm in having a variety of sizes.
neutrino23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Anti-Lucifer
In Time-Out

The correct name should be:

Max iPad

hence "Maxipad"
Anti-Lucifer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:27 AM   #5
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

The only thing I hate about an iPad "Maxi" are the silly jokes. I'd probably not buy one (at this time, the mini more suits me), but if they can get the full sized iPad down to the thinness of the mini (by giving it the "mini treatment") sizes larger than the current full sized iPad are much more manageable. Holding a bigger iPad that had been given the "mini treatment" wouldn't be so uncomfortable as it might have been in the past at that size. I think a larger sized iPad would be gorgeous if it was thin and not too heavy. I'm sure we'd realise even more uses for such a device than the people who want one today.

Perhaps Apple will release one when we've exhausted the supply of sanitary napkin jokes.
WilliamLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 09:45 AM   #6
AppleRobert
macrumors 68000

Not interested personally in the least. I'd rather have a laptop/notebook.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:04 PM   #7
Outrigger
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertilized-egg View Post
As long as it's kept relatively light, I'd love to have a larger iPad that's closer to the size of the regular letter paper (~14" diagonal)
letter size is 8.5 x 11. 14 is legal. I think if you think an even larger ipad is coming next year, you will only disappoint yourself.
Outrigger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 03:52 AM   #8
yinz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Lucifer View Post
The correct name should be:

Max iPad

hence "Maxipad"
I would think iPad Pro is more likely.

MacBook - Macbook Pro
iMac - Mac Pro

I don't think Pad Pro would be great....
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:17 AM   #9
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Agreed. I don't think Apple will be introducing an iPad larger than the current one.
ucfgrad93 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 03:33 PM   #10
fertilized-egg
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
letter size is 8.5 x 11. 14 is legal. I think if you think an even larger ipad is coming next year, you will only disappoint yourself.
8.5^2 + 11^2 = diagonal^2
diagonal = 14"

I don't have a concrete expectation but if Samsung really releases a larger tablet later this year, it does add some credence to the article, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
Probably not a big market and I don't know if it's worth Apple's attention. But there are probably some who want a larger form factor for an iPad. In some ways it reminds me of the Macbook Pro 17"
fertilized-egg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:45 PM   #11
bp1000
macrumors 65816

I'd rather not. The iPad is the perfect size.

I have the 4 and i do think if it was any bigger it would be too heavy to be comfortable to use on the go.

Samsung will release every possible combination of configuration.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 07:11 PM   #12
beautifulcoder
macrumors regular

I don't think there is a market for this. The masses have spoken and they want smartphones and minis. Anything bigger than the ipad and things start to look like a freak show. Like some "ultrabook" models.
beautifulcoder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 04:55 PM   #13
beauparc
macrumors member

It would be the only thing that would make me get rid of my original iPad.

Can't abide little small iPads.
beauparc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 05:11 PM   #14
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Depends on what they want to charge for a 'Maxi'

849 11" Macbook Air, 128GB = Proper computer.
949 13" Macbook Air, 128GB = Proper computer.
639 iPad,128 WIFI = Giant iPhone.

See the problem? I would never buy a 128GB iPad and the cellular one is 739.

Even 100 extra is going to make a larger iPad 739 / 839 and I would rather have an Air for uncompromising functionality at that price.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 07:59 PM   #15
MrWillie
macrumors 65816

I hate that term "proper computer". Why don't you say what it is, OSX or Windows computer ?

With the exception of ripping media, using "Big Boy" Excel spreadsheets, and AutoCad, I can do most things 90% of the people do on their PC on my iPad. Most people buy Photoshop/ Photoshop LE and barely use most of the functions. $4.99 iPhoto meets 90% of people's needs. Heck there is even people that create podcast on their iPads using $4.99 GarageBand. Try reading a digital magizine and turning a 'proper' computer sideways while laying down in bed.

I don't think it's going to be an iOS device, but a version of OSX that's built around a touch interface.

Disclaimer: I work in industrial automation and with embedded systems, so yes my company provides me with a nice laptop. So I am part of the 10 %. But I only use a full Windows or OSX machine when I need to.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 08:45 PM   #16
beautifulcoder
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillie View Post
Disclaimer: I work in industrial automation and with embedded systems, so yes my company provides me with a nice laptop. So I am part of the 10 %. But I only use a full Windows or OSX machine when I need to.
Amen brother. I'm sort of on the same boat as you. I do dread the thought of going to work and using a wretched PC. The iPad is so stupid simple it is appalling to me it took the industry this many years to get out of this PC dark age. The iPad provides an effective solution for what most people actually use.
beautifulcoder is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:32 AM   #17
skiltrip
macrumors 68020

No interest. But I don't even really like the regular sized iPad. I think it's a little too big and it takes away from its intended portable nature.

Any bigger and you might add well use a laptop.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 08:42 PM   #18
Piggie
macrumors 601

I wanted a larger iPad from the moment I saw the 1st one I ever bought.

You think how BIG a iPad looks to a child.

When you are a big guy, the iPad is a small device.
I would chose a 12" or 14" model in an instant, and many others would also.

Just like all the people who said Apple should not make a small iPad, then changed their mind, then you would find that everyone would be saying how great the larger one was, once apple made it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulcoder View Post
Amen brother. I'm sort of on the same boat as you. I do dread the thought of going to work and using a wretched PC. The iPad is so stupid simple it is appalling to me it took the industry this many years to get out of this PC dark age. The iPad provides an effective solution for what most people actually use.
Funny isn't it. I hardly use the iPad because it IS too simple and go back to the PC to get anything done.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulcoder View Post
I don't think there is a market for this. The masses have spoken and they want smartphones and minis. Anything bigger than the ipad and things start to look like a freak show. Like some "ultrabook" models.
Yes, I'm sure you are right, no one would buy a 12" iPad.
Only perhaps a few million!
Old Jun 16, 2013, 06:48 AM   #19
tarungarg
macrumors newbie

i think we should call it ipad pro,due to its large resolution
tarungarg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 08:58 AM   #20
nightlong
macrumors 6502

Depends what else, being bigger, it can do. Considering the "post-PC" philosophy that came with the introduction of the iPad, a bigger iPad might overcome some current limitations without making laptops obsolete.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 06:37 PM   #21
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillie View Post
I hate that term "proper computer". Why don't you say what it is, OSX or Windows computer ?

With the exception of ripping media, using "Big Boy" Excel spreadsheets, and AutoCad, I can do most things 90% of the people do on their PC on my iPad. Most people buy Photoshop/ Photoshop LE and barely use most of the functions. $4.99 iPhoto meets 90% of people's needs. Heck there is even people that create podcast on their iPads using $4.99 GarageBand. Try reading a digital magizine and turning a 'proper' computer sideways while laying down in bed.

I don't think it's going to be an iOS device, but a version of OSX that's built around a touch interface.

There's nothing wrong with saying proper computer. We all know the meaning, so why don't we leave the semantics for something more important?

And where'd you pull that 90% from? I'll tell you where, your @$$.

As for your disclaimer... Why?

No offence intended, have a nice weekend.

Oh, and I'd love a bigger iPad. It wouldn't be much bigger than a 3 if they got the screen real close to the edges. But as others have said, the weight could be a problem.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:07 AM   #22
fullauto
macrumors 6502

- 13/15/17" + Pro versions of each
- Runs OSX Mavericks & iOS 7
- Pressure sensitive
- Dual docks
- Forward facing stereo speakers
- 3G/4G
- GPS
- Fingerprint scanner
- NFC

When do people realistically think we'll see a product like this? 2-3 years? 5 years?
fullauto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:22 AM   #23
beautifulcoder
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullauto View Post
- 13/15/17" + Pro versions of each
- Runs OSX Mavericks & iOS 7
- Pressure sensitive
- Dual docks
- Forward facing stereo speakers
- 3G/4G
- GPS
- Fingerprint scanner
- NFC

When do people realistically think we'll see a product like this? 2-3 years? 5 years?
This is terrible! I'll loose all respect for Apple if they ever do this.

This stuff appeals to geeks not regular users in general. As a former geek, it is liberating to focus on what you actually want to do instead of the technology doing it.
beautifulcoder is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 07:30 AM   #24
KenAFSPC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertilized-egg View Post
8.5^2 + 11^2 = diagonal^2
diagonal = 14"

I don't have a concrete expectation but if Samsung really releases a larger tablet later this year, it does add some credence to the article, I think."
14" diagonal is too large, IMO. However, a ~12" screen makes perfect sense, as the width would be similar to the current iPad (with a small bezel)

The current iPad is 9.5" tall by 7.3" wide with the bezel. Its 4:3 screen is approximately 7.75" tall by 5.83" wide.

A 12" screen would be 9.59" tall by 7.21" wide. That's slightly taller and slightly less wide than the current iPad. With a thin bezel, Apple could create a 12" iPad that is about the same width and roughly 1" taller than the current 9.6" iPad.
KenAFSPC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:05 PM   #25
fertilized-egg
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
14" diagonal is too large, IMO. However, a ~12" screen makes perfect sense, as the width would be similar to the current iPad (with a small bezel)
While I personally want a 14" model, I agree with you it's probably too big for the others and something between 12-13" will make more sense. I wonder what the resolution of such tablet will be?
fertilized-egg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad