Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

View Poll Results: Is the ios7 announcement an important factor in your next upgrade?
No, I am planning to stick with iPhone no matter what. 65 52.42%
Yes, ios7 and/or the 5S design better impress, or I'm leaving the iPhone behind. 30 24.19%
Definitely trying a new system (andriod, windows phone, etc) 20 16.13%
Not planning an upgrade 9 7.26%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Italianblend
macrumors 65816

iOS 7 announcement will decide 5S vs Andriod

I have been an iPhone customer for 4 years now. Apple has served me well, but I have been sensing that the next upgrade may be time for a change. I haven't been impressed with apple over the last year or so, and my decision will be heavily based on the ios 7 announcement.

Is anyone else in the same mindset? I need something new and fresh from the new ios. Something that says apple is willing to bend just a bit from their status stubbornness. The lack of customization is getting stale. In 2013 I should be able to choose simple things like text and menu colors. Siri has been largely unimpressive. Usable at niche times, but otherwise slow, awkward, and unhelpful. Give me something a little more than an app launcher. Give me realtime info on my main screen without the bother of notification center.

If ios 7 is impressive and fresh, I will wait for the 5S announcement to make my decision. But if its the same old thing with a new Pinterest integration button, I think this will be my last stop.

Is anyone else in the same boat?

Last edited by Italianblend; Jun 9, 2013 at 11:01 PM.
Italianblend is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 01:42 AM   #2
hafr
Banned

More or less, but with a twist. I'm looking at replacing the iPad 2 (i.e. letting the kids have it full time) and unless iOS becomes more of a proper OS, I'm simply not gonna bother. I'd rather go for a VivoTab Smart or something in that case.
hafr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:33 AM   #3
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

I like having both iOS and Android, so iOS 7 would have to crash and burn pretty hard for me to dumb the OS altogether. I may just skip the 5s upgrade though. I already feel like upgrading to the 5 from the 4s was a complete waste for me.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:52 AM   #4
abz1981
macrumors 6502a

I am actually happy with iOS as it is. Yes every major iOS updates brings new features. However if features ain't that impressive I wouldn't just jump ship to another OS. It's not because I am an Apple fan etc. The way I see it is if something works and is doing fine for me then why change? Why should I have to learn about another OS etc.

I know android is pretty much similar in a lot of ways to iOS however if I am happy with something I will stick with is.

So whatever ios 7 brings out I will go ahead and upgrade to it and just continue using my ip5.

Lordofreef how come you say 4s to 5 was a waste for you? I did the same went from 4s to ip5. I debated long and hard to decide if I should switch and to be honest the bigger screen and the sleek slim design of the ip5 did it for me. I know it's a minor upgrade in term of design etc. however I am happy with it. But I think I will skip the iphone 5s and go to the 6 when that comes out. Even though I am on a yearly contract think il give the 5s a miss.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:46 AM   #5
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

the apple/ios environment really meets all my everyday needs. i would stay with it regardless of what ios7 or the 5s brings.
Apple TV 3rd Generation, Apple AirPort Express 2nd Generation
dictoresno is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:06 AM   #6
osofast240sx
macrumors 68000

Now changes nothing! iOS is just fine, today will just be a bonus for me.
osofast240sx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:27 AM   #7
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

Where's the "Don't care cause iOS still whoomps Android" button?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 08:56 AM   #8
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I'm thinking about switching to an HTC One or Samsung S4, but I am waiting to see what iOS 7 and the new iPhone look like.
ucfgrad93 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 09:14 AM   #9
apollo1444
macrumors 65816

I'm on the same mindset, it's kind of hard to let go moving to android where everything "just lags" and their appstore is horrible but iOS 6 was incredibly dull, I hope Jony saves the day
apollo1444 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Arid
macrumors member

I've been to the other side and back and will be using iOS regardless. The only decision regarding 7 is to keep my android devices or not as I also have some apps there that's not on my iOS.
Arid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 09:38 AM   #11
IFRIT
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1444 View Post
I'm on the same mindset, it's kind of hard to let go moving to android where everything "just lags" and their appstore is horrible but iOS 6 was incredibly dull, I hope Jony saves the day
No top of the range Android phone lags.
IFRIT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:23 AM   #12
Looon
macrumors 6502a

You are literally the first person to say this ever
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:01 PM   #13
apollo1444
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFRIT View Post
No top of the range Android phone lags.
yes they do lag. even the GS4 lags

Jony delivered, do not want android
apollo1444 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:08 PM   #14
patseguin
macrumors 65816

iOS looks beautiful and just what Apple needed to get back in the game. I'm surprised that they didn't announce a new phone/tablet today. Maybe a media event as ios7 release comes closer?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:10 PM   #15
LoloBond
macrumors 6502

Quote:

yes! I went the other day to Best Buy and after 2 years of using the iPhone I was curious about the new Galaxy phones. I went to the Samsung both to check the new GS4. I grab the phone, turn on the screen, open photo album app and the phone lags (small lag no like 2-3 years ago but still).. I put it down and said to my self check again in 2 years.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by patseguin View Post
iOS looks beautiful and just what Apple needed to get back in the game. I'm surprised that they didn't announce a new phone/tablet today. Maybe a media event as ios7 release comes closer?
iOS 7 will be released with the new iPhone.
LoloBond is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:18 PM   #16
SR45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patseguin View Post
Not surprised at all. Never a mention or rumor that these would be announced. Wait until around Sept/Oct time frame. 2 1/2 months from now. Not long to wait
SR45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:20 PM   #17
Smithwicks
macrumors regular

Quote:

You're full of it. And a liar to boot. I own an HTC one and it doesn't lag at all. Why don't you try using the phone before making blanket statements like that?
Smithwicks is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:37 PM   #18
Sketchr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithwicks View Post
You're full of it. And a liar to boot. I own an HTC one and it doesn't lag at all. Why don't you try using the phone before making blanket statements like that?
Correct, the HTC One runs seamlessly, no lag at all. I own both the iPhone and HTC One. However, my buddy owns the GS4 and does experience some lag. Using phones same places, same carrier...
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:46 PM   #19
apollo1444
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I haven't tried the HTC ONE as I would have not consider that phone in the first place, I was aiming for the GS 4, there is LTE in my country and the quad core version lags, what can I say, it lags.
apollo1444 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:12 PM   #20
patseguin
macrumors 65816

[/COLOR]

iOS 7 will be released with the new iPhone.[/QUOTE]

That would make sense but I wonder why they didn't announce a new phone today? I was thinking about going out and getting a 5 again just because I am that excited about iOS7. I suppose I ought not rush into anything...
Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:16 PM   #21
cardinalryan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Of course he is full of it. I also like the part about the appstore, i.e. Google Play, stinks.

So much crap flows around these boards, it stinks in here.

I'm an HTC One user and an iPad 4 user...both OS are smooth as butter. I absolutely abhor misinformation like this.
cardinalryan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:21 PM   #22
SpaceKitty
Banned

I likely won't be upgrading. I still love my 4S and it's only a few months old. I'll likely wait till what ever phone comes after the 5S.
SpaceKitty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:22 PM   #23
AlabamaSlammer
macrumors regular

New UI

Does this really look good? After seeing this image on Apple's website, the whole transparent thing kind of looks bad..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ios 7.png
Views:	56
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	416335  
Apple tv 2 (jailbroken) & Apple tv 3
AlabamaSlammer is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:37 PM   #24
patseguin
macrumors 65816

I think the translucency looks great personally.

Also, people are talking about lag. My Google Nexus phone doesn't really lag at all. However, I can say that my Android tablets are terribly laggy and it's a delight to go back to an iPad and it will be even more so now with iOS 7.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:41 PM   #25
Peanut207
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaSlammer View Post
Does this really look good? After seeing this image on Apple's website, the whole transparent thing kind of looks bad..
I think ios 7 looks awesome! Plus I no longer have the need to jailbreak thanks to the new Control Center.
Peanut207 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices