Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jun 10, 2013, 01:27 AM   #1
Gibbyice
macrumors newbie

Final Cut pro x - Now a good time to buy or wait for newer version?

I hopefully will be in a position to by final cut pro x in the next month or two. My question is wether I should hold off for a newer release or is that unlikely in the forseeable future?

Thanks in advance

Gibbyice
Gibbyice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 06:00 AM   #2
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Today Apple are having a POW-WOUH in San Francisco. No doubt new material will be reviled.
Too your question "How Long Is A Piece Of String"?. If anything comes out new in that software, you should get a discount. But if you are happy to wait fine.
When i bought FCP-X when it came out first i learned and with plenty of updates it has been a breeze.
I would say wait this week and see what happen.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:44 PM   #3
RJz347
macrumors newbie

Fcp x

And hope Apple makes a really good business decision and return FCP to what it was. A powerhouse Video Editing Platform. I abandoned ship due to Apple abandoning us. FCP X IMHO was a waist of time. The professional editors that I know love FCP7, X however was so confusing and so UN professional that I had to go to Adobe Premier. The companies I work with used to use FCP. Apple had the best NLE on the market. Hands down. It had the potential to remove Avid as the top dog, if you will. So to answer your question. Wait and see what Apple does. I can only hope they realize their error and return FCP to the powerhouse it once was.

Its one mans opinion.. Take it for what it's worth.

Cheers
RJz347 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:35 PM   #4
mBox
macrumors 68020

If you need it now then buy.
There hasn't been any paid updates since June 2011.

Lets hope there isn't one ever
mBox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Unami
macrumors regular

it's hard to beat for the price - been doing professional (one man band) work with it since version 10.0.1.
it's a pita when it comes to multi-user workflow and i wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole if i had to work together with a lot of other people (sound guys, other editors, someone who uses something else than da vinci for color grading,...)

having said that, it has served me well for a lot of things - story-editing is so much more intuitive and faster, if you can just drag clips around and the others make way.

i'd wait for the next update - be it 10.0.9, be it 10.1.0 (with hopefully a lot of collaborative features) and buy then. have you already tried the free 30-day trial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJz347 View Post
And hope Apple makes a really good business decision and return FCP to what it was.
i've read somewhere that they have already earned more money with fcpx than with fcp7 over the same time period. so it seems to be the better business-decision for apple to stay with X. i hope we'll get back some real "pro" features in the future (like edl), but having seen the sneak peak at the new mac pro, i doubt it that they really care anymore about the needs of the professional community...

Last edited by Unami; Jun 12, 2013 at 07:02 PM.
Unami is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

Buy now, you'll get the update when it comes out. It's pretty okay at this point much better than it was 2 years ago that's for sure... but still has a ways to go. The best part of FCP X is using powerful 3rd party plugins with it, that brings it to another level it's actually quite weak out of the box, although I must say the timeline interface is great to work with.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 09:04 PM   #7
macuser453787
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJz347 View Post
And hope Apple makes a really good business decision and return FCP to what it was. A powerhouse Video Editing Platform. I abandoned ship due to Apple abandoning us. FCP X IMHO was a waist of time. The professional editors that I know love FCP7, X however was so confusing and so UN professional that I had to go to Adobe Premier. The companies I work with used to use FCP. Apple had the best NLE on the market. Hands down. It had the potential to remove Avid as the top dog, if you will. So to answer your question. Wait and see what Apple does. I can only hope they realize their error and return FCP to the powerhouse it once was.

Its one mans opinion.. Take it for what it's worth.

Cheers
I've read similar opinions about FCPX on this forum and I have some experience editing using FCE (which is close to FCP), and I'm just curious as to what it is about FCPX that makes it less desirable than FCP7? Have gone back and forth about what NLE to use (between FCPX and FCP7) when I get my MP (5,1) -- right now am leaning towards FCS (because I want FCP7 + the other programs). Though I will say that I like the fact that FCPX can use more than 4GB RAM...
macuser453787 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:02 AM   #8
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Lot of people will hum and Ha about this software. We each have a way of what one wants from a editing software. If you happy with FCP7 carry on. If you want try something new, go for FCP-X and see how it works and feels.
I was with FCP-7 and could not get on with it. FCP-X is a breeze in my eyes.
Even iMovie 11 is a good software without 1st class software.
So you decide. Let us know what roar you are taking.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Ezlivin
macrumors member

Buy it now and start learning. Once you learn how to really use FCPX you'll be set for whatever updates Apple provides.
Ezlivin is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video