Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Euan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
UK
Hopefully this is the right place to post this.

I've got an iPod colour and want to use it as a stand-alone hi-fi system in my flat.

I plan to get the Harman Kardon Sounsticks II 2.1 but I don't plan to connect these to my laptop. I will also get an iPod dock and remote control.

Is there ANYTHING else I require in order to make my stand-alone hi-fi system work?

I am assuming that the speakers will connect into the dock and the iPod can just sit in the dock. What about mains power? Do the speakers require to be connected to a mains socket?

Thanks in advance for any help.

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
Speakers plugged into the main... probably

You MAY also need a cable to go fron the dock to the speakers. I don't know is the speakers take headphone or RCA in and what is provided with the dock.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
You'll definitely need mains power for ANY speakers worth any money. The SoundSticks will plug directly into the dock. However, if you really want a nice system, you might want to look into a receiver that drives "real" speakers. This will take up more space, but it's a better long term investment and one that can be reconfigured to fit different rooms (rather than being stuck with PC speakers).

Then, just the receiver will need to be near an outlet, and speaker wire will take care of the rest.

Euan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
UK
Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll stick with the easy option for the time being, it's not really looked as a long term investment, will cost barely a couple hundred quid which is fine :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.