Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Please tell me I'm not the only one who is super pleased about tags and tabbed finder folders?!

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Not really. I tried TotalFinder but didn't find it more productive. I don't have many windows open, and on my 27" screen I can fit many windows anyway.

And tags, well, I use Folders which is more or less the same - Apart from the searching of course. But I always know where I need to go, so no need to search.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I like the idea of finder being tabbed. I hope it works like Safari where you can have multiple windows open, some with tabs.

Sometimes you need to look at stuff side by side - even in finder.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
I like how you could already have all these features, bar the tags, with xtrafinder.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have had Total Finder for quite some time and what I like about that is that you can join two tabs together so that you see them and can easily move items from one to another or compare contents. This is a no brainer in my opinion. If you are going to introduce finder tabs, don't limit me to seeing only one at a time, give me a double pane option.

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
Please tell me I'm not the only one who is super pleased about tags and tabbed finder folders?!

Absolutely not. I am really happy about that. :)

In long folder lists I used to keep the frequently used ones on top with the green colour label. Need to figure out how to do that now when using multiple tags.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA

You definitely are not alone! I use tags a LOT more than I thought I would to begin with, and they are very useful for finding files (especially if you have a lot of files :p) and the tabs, well, I'll just say that they should have been native to finder a looong time ago ;)

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I wonder if you can have more tans open by default when first opening the finder. How will compressed memory work here. Will the extra tabs be active in memory.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I wonder if you can have more tans open by default when first opening the finder. How will compressed memory work here. Will the extra tabs be active in memory.
Yeah, but that's not the problem, because the (Mac) OS X WindowServer compresses the not used window (i.e. tab) buffers:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20011008024501793

(Mac) OS X 10.1.5 and newer supports window buffer compression automatically. No additional settings necessary.

You can see the compressed window buffers if you enable the Quartz Debug “window list”:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20101104073546285

The compression ratio for the average GUI window is 10:1 (of course not, if you have a folder full of 32-Bit picture previews or a video window).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.