Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jun 10, 2013, 01:13 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Announces 'iWork for iCloud' for In-Browser Use

At today's WWDC keynote event, Apple announced iWork for iCloud, a new version of iWork that is coming later this year and delivering the ability to use iWork apps in the user's browser. iWork in iCloud brings Apple's iWork software suite to the web, and on stage, the company demonstrated Keynote, Numbers, and Pages operating in a browser window.

The apps are also designed to work seamlessly with Microsoft documents. For example, a Microsoft Word document dragged into Pages for iCloud will be converted and easily read.

In addition to working on iOS and Mac, iWork for iCloud also works on Windows computers and in other browsers, like Chrome. In fact, it supports Chrome, Safari, and Internet Explorer, bringing iWork to a broad array of devices.

iWork for iCloud is available today for developers and will be offered to other users later in the year.

Article Link: Apple Announces 'iWork for iCloud' for In-Browser Use
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 01:48 PM   #2
badlydrawnboy
macrumors 6502a

Was I hearing things, or did he also say that they'd be releasing new desktop versions of the iWork apps later this year?
badlydrawnboy is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:13 PM   #3
JohnDoe98
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlydrawnboy View Post
Was I hearing things, or did he also say that they'd be releasing new desktop versions of the iWork apps later this year?
You heard right, new versions coming later.
JohnDoe98 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:28 PM   #4
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe98 View Post
sweet!
unplugme71 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:40 PM   #5
~Shard~
macrumors P6

Send a message via Skype™ to ~Shard~
Very much looking forward to a new version of iWork later this year. Long overdue!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:47 PM   #6
kjs862
macrumors 65816

This was my favorite part of the event, though iOS7 is pretty cool too. I think the expanded functionality to iCloud was more needed than a GUI update to iOS.
kjs862 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:59 PM   #7
JGIGS
macrumors 6502

Let me have any document in iCloud. Most of us use office. Looks like google drive or drop box is the real way to go if you don't want this dumb limitiation.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:01 PM   #8
Wolfpup
macrumors 68030

Huh...well, if we're lucky it'll be better than Google Docs, although I'd be surprised if they can beat Microsoft.

They DESPERATELY need to fix the iWork programs for iOS. The save/load interface for iWork on iOS is beyond insane. I can't believe Steve Jobs or whomever signed off on that. I mean it's more complicated and bizarre than an early 80s DOS based computer.
Wolfpup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:19 PM   #9
tubular
macrumors member

AT LAST. Totally tubular.
tubular is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:31 PM   #10
yojo056
macrumors newbie

Im surprised about this one. There was an iWorks in the Cloud beta that ended almost 2 years ago...
yojo056 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:36 PM   #11
vmachiel
macrumors 65816

Sweet! This is free?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:02 PM   #12
Nalmond92
macrumors regular

so there is no point in getting the desktop apps???
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:07 PM   #13
bigwig
macrumors 6502a

I hope the new desktop versions add much needed functionality. Like Numbers being rather incomplete when it comes to Excel function support. LibreOffice is much more complete. ODF support would be nice too.
bigwig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:16 PM   #14
Boris A
macrumors member

Quote:
I imagined the same, which was a huge relief. But what was said exactly? It was dropped in such a by-the-way fashion it's hard to tell.
Boris A is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:18 PM   #15
saberahul
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmachiel View Post
Sweet! This is free?
Would love to know this too. Anyone know?
saberahul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:21 PM   #16
JohnDoe98
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris A View Post
I imagined the same, which was a huge relief. But what was said exactly? It was dropped in such a by-the-way fashion it's hard to tell.
Don't remember the exact words, but he said new versions for OS X and iOS coming later this fall, then just moved on to demo iWork in the Cloud.
JohnDoe98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:40 PM   #17
fricotin
macrumors member

If I was buying iWork now would I have to pay for the upgrade when it comes later in the year ?

Last edited by fricotin; Jun 10, 2013 at 11:02 PM.
fricotin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:54 PM   #18
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalmond92 View Post
so there is no point in getting the desktop apps???
Really unclear, but I got the impression that the browser-based version is intended as a companion to the desktop version, not a replacement. Despite what was demonstrated, I think it would be very difficult to incorporate all the functionality of desktop iWork into the browser. They haven't managed that for the iOS version.

----------

Quote:
Don't remember the exact words, but he said new versions for OS X and iOS coming later this fall, then just moved on to demo iWork in the Cloud.
I heard a little bit more than that. He talked about creating documents on your Mac and then being able to edit them in a web browser in Windows. This wording suggests that Apple still views iWork on the Mac as the center of the iWork universe.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:03 PM   #19
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

So with iWork for iCloud, you will able to start working on one document and then the US government [through PRISM, or another data harvesting method] can read it on another.

No thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:13 PM   #20
MikhailT
macrumors 68040

My concern is this, the upcoming OS X app won't get any new features, it's just being updated to support the iCloud improvements but nothing else. That's why they didn't demo anything.

As for PRISM concerns, yea, that's true for any data services. You'll have to stay offline to avoid PRISM.
MikhailT is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 06:16 PM   #21
Deedlez
macrumors regular

I've literally just switched from my Win7 VM where I was trying to install Office 2013 from Office 365.

Couldn't install it, due to the astonishingly detailed error "A problem has occurred" from the installer. And that's all you get, no clues at all where the error is - with their website, the installer, the internet connection, time of day, my shoe size, sunspots.

Hopeless idiots.

So a good time to then spot iWork improvements! Bye bye Microsoft. You are in serious trouble when your Office cash cow dies...
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:04 PM   #22
numbersyx
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricotin View Post
If I was buying iWork now would have to pay for the upgrade when it comes later in the year ?
I suspect you would....
numbersyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:21 PM   #23
happyslayer
macrumors 6502

Just logged into the beta site... now it shows up for me on me.com. (I am a developer.) So far, it works as shown in the keynote. Though it did take a bit more time to open my existing documents. (The Apple sites are slammed right now.) Very nice though! Very excited to see the beginnings of an iWork update.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:41 PM   #24
KALLT
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post
My concern is this, the upcoming OS X app won't get any new features, it's just being updated to support the iCloud improvements but nothing else. That's why they didn't demo anything.
It could very well be that there was simply nothing to show yet. If I remember correctly, there were still vacancies for iWork-related projects at Apple only recently, which may suggest that this is still an ongoing process. iWork is also typically one of those products that are released immediately after their announcement, so it makes sense to present it at another keynote. That being said, the fact that they do give priority to a webapp rather than updating the Mac app is indeed a bit worrying. Since Apple does seek compatibility with the webapp now too, it may mean that we won't see any substantial updates for the iWork Mac app, other than enhanced compatibility with iCloud.
KALLT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:02 PM   #25
jnlauderdale
macrumors newbie

Internet Explorer?

Can someone explain how iWork for iCloud can support IE if no version exists for the Mac platform? Are they saying it will support IE if you are on a PC?
jnlauderdale is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion