Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmholloway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
I am looking to understand the possibility of backing up 2 computers -- my home iMac and my work MBA. I currently have a 3TB Seagate that I use for my MBA and have ordered a 3TB for my home. My plan is to partition my new drive into 3 1TB partitions and have one for home, one for work and one for home (bootable). I would then do the same for my current 3TB (after duplicating) except don't need the bootable as work IT has that. From there, I could use the work drive to backup home every month or so and have redundancy. Save the bootable backup, can all this be done in Time Machine?

benfischer

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
I am looking to understand the possibility of backing up 2 computers -- my home iMac and my work MBA. I currently have a 3TB Seagate that I use for my MBA and have ordered a 3TB for my home. My plan is to partition my new drive into 3 1TB partitions and have one for home, one for work and one for home (bootable). I would then do the same for my current 3TB (after duplicating) except don't need the bootable as work IT has that. From there, I could use the work drive to backup home every month or so and have redundancy. Save the bootable backup, can all this be done in Time Machine?

I have a LaCie hooked up to my iMac and partitioned it so my MBP could use one of the partitions for Time Machine while the iMac uses the other. It works fine.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I might not be following your overall plan but you don't need to partition to use Time Machine to back up multiple computers on one drive. I use a single drive to back up my mac and my wife's all on one partition. Time Machine keeps track of the computers separately.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I don't recommend leaving a backup of your home computer at work. Unless you own the business. Also, leaving personal hardware at work, especially long term can have cause issues around that hardware.

I'd recommend keeping the second backup for your home computer in a safe deposit box or at a friends house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.