Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Lots of talk about the Retina Display in the next iPad Mini. Honestly, I care much less about a Retina Display than I do about a RAM increase. The 512MB in the current model is pretty pathetic compared to the standard in mobile devices these days. My smartphone from last year has 2GB of RAM.

I am very interested in buying an iPad Mini for Audio Recording use, both as a controller for a DAW, but also for recording and virtual instruments. The 512MB of RAM will have a tendency to bog down pretty quickly for this type of stuff.

Anyone think Apple will at least bump it up to 1GB of RAM?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Possibly but my Mini never even hiccupped once and I use it a lot everyday. Maybe someone doing what you are planning could offer their experience.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
Possibly but my Mini never even hiccupped once and I use it a lot everyday.

Do you use it for any audio work? What's the most intense stuff you do on it?

My 4th gen iPod touch has 512MB of RAM and it's a real dog, though I realize it's a single core CPU operating at probably just under 1GHz, and it's over 2 years old. But the user experience on that device is pretty aggravating at this point when I'm messing around in Garageband.

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
It depends, my iPad 4 has 1GB but it's pushing a lot more pixels than the mini. My guess is RAM wise they are both the same. It should take up more RAM to power a retina display.

I think these devices are more designed to be cloud based. I'm running Opera Mini which is a cloud based browser with over 20 tabs open. The information stays on the device whether I'm connected or not. Also, Mail, & iBooks. I do experience a slight glitch in iBooks at times, but I think it's iBooks not RAM.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

My 4th gen iPod touch has 512MB of RAM and it's a real dog, though I realize it's a single core CPU operating at probably just under 1GHz, and it's over 2 years old. But the user experience on that device is pretty aggravating at this point when I'm messing around in Garageband.

Your aggravated experience could be due to the fact that your fourth-generation iPod touch actually only has 256 MB of RAM, not 512 MB of RAM.

I think the next iPad mini would have 1 GB of RAM, seeing as it may come with the retina display. That display will demand 1 GB of RAM. 2 GB would be very nice, but I just don't think we will see the iPad mini come on par with the full-size iPad there. Apple will have to differentiate those two products somehow through the specs sheet. In my opinion, as I actually do like the display now, but 1 GB of RAM on this generation's iPad mini would make it fly. It's already a wonderful machine for me, it just needs the ability to hang onto some more apps in its cache.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
If its not needed, Apple wont put it in.

My Ipad 2 is 512 ram and it take up more juice than mini because of bigger screen still it performed flawlessly. No lack, no nothing. Apps/games refresh itself once you open too many at the same time but it still run fine.

It would be great if Apple release special version of Ipad 2 with 1GB ram. Its not needed, but it would be a great great device if it is.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 6, 2010
New York
I went ahead and ordered the Mini. I'm sure it'll be fine. Bottom line is I'm not doing any mission critical work on it. It's mostly for enjoyment and entertainment.

Thanks everyone for their input.

chanman

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Arkansas, United States

incorrect: ipod touch 4th generation has a single core 1GHZ A4 processor, underclocked to 800MHZ, with 256 MB of RAM. ;)

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
I'm pretty sure the next iPad Mini will see an increase in RAM. The portability and convenience of the mini was awesome for me, I just wasn't able to deal with the constant reloading of apps and tabs.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan

The 4th gen has 256mb.

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
If its not needed, Apple wont put it in.

I agree. People love to bash Apple for offering low specs. If the software doesn't need the RAM it's just more memory the OS has to haul which means more battery drain. At some point, it's better just to trust that Apple knows what they are doing. As long as it works well with the latest software, who cares about specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.