Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
or maybe its just me....

My 2 year old was sick last night, so I had him sleep in bed with me. At about 4am he woke up, sat up and eyes all bloodshot said "car goes beep-beep, aaaaahhhhhhh," then he fell face down onto the bed.

Now, I was a little creeped out, I asked him - oh a car goes beep beep? "No, car goes beep-beep, aaaaahhh" as he screams. Then said " she goes by Grandmas house"

The thing that creeped me out was that I didn't think he knew about car accidents. Now I'm a little nervous:(

Just a bad dream I guess, but still creepy. It probably doesn't help that my little brother was killed in a car accident (10 years ago).

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Reminds of an episode from Medium where a little girl dreams her dad was in a plane that crashed. Upon hearing the news, the dad decided the family will travel by car instead.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Lacero said:
Reminds of an episode from Medium where a little girl dreams her dad was in a plane that crashed. Upon hearing the news, the dad decided the family will travel by car instead.

I wish that no one in my family would drive today:eek: That won't happen though. I'm still find this a little unsettling.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Never underestimate the power of the human mind. Especially in little children, who aren't "conditioned" by society yet and have more open minds than most adults. It's a pity we don't focus on the true power of the mind as much as we should, as are so quick to slough certain things off as "weird" or "creepy", when in fact, they are very relevant and very real. :cool:

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
~Shard~ said:
Never underestimate the power of the human mind. Especially in little children, who aren't "conditioned" by society yet and have more open minds than most adults. It's a pity we don't focus on the true power of the mind as much as we should, as are so quick to slough certain things off as "weird" or "creepy", when in fact, they are very relevant and very real. :cool:

So then what should I make of this?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
It does makes you ponder about things..

Are human beings really just sacks of.. stuff.. or is there really more to the spiritual world?

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
generik said:
It does makes you ponder about things..

Are human beings really just sacks of.. stuff.. or is there really more to the spiritual world?

or is it just a dream?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It was really scary at the time but I had a nightmare once about my mate being hit by a car. I told another mate under the utmost secrecy, i mean hey it was sort of grim. about 2 weeks later he didn't show up for school for a few days, then we got word his brother had been hit by a car.

but that story of yours is creepy. im easily scared, knowing my girlfriend had turned over and jokingly said "im looking at you" in the pitch blackness really creeped me out, so if she got up and talked about a car in her sleep i'd be petrified!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm not a particularly spiritual person so I wouldn't take any notice of it but considering the circumstances I can understand why you feel like you do. I hope you and your family are safe and also try to not let what is hopefully a dream get to you too much. :)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
njmac said:
So then what should I make of this?

It's hard to say. Perhaps it was simply "just a dream" - but perhaps not. I guess all I mean above was that we need to be more open to the possibilities and not be so quick to discount things like this.

Look at things like intuition, "gut feelings", instinct. Most people think these are not "real", as they are just quirky sensations, or that it is a coincidence when they are right. Again, people are so quick to slough off these types of experiences, not thinking that maybe there is something more to them. That maybe they are just as real as anything else.

You know the saying, "mind over matter"? Well, it's true. There is far more to the "mental" aspect of things than we realize, however look at us, and look at our world - it is essentially 100% "physical". Physical devices, physical measurements and senses, everything is physics - and hardly anything is "psychic" or "mental", and when people mention things of this nature, we are quick to discount them because they do not fit into our accepted paradigm.

In fact, the "mental" world we do not understand and appreciate exists just as much as the "physical" world we have immersed ourselves in - that's the true way the universe works - yet we only live and recognize half the picture.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
njmac said:
or is it just a dream?

or is it just a Matrix?

njmac said:
"No, car goes beep-beep, aaaaahhh" as he screams. Then said " she goes by Grandmas house"

The thing that creeped me out was that I didn't think he knew about car accidents. Now I'm a little nervous:(

Meh, it just sounds like he saw a ghost or something. No worries.

Sleep tight.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Hmm. Did he actually scream, in terror, when he said it?

It's weird, no doubt and I can't really get the way it was said. I could imagine an ill child, not knowing it was as late and being close to you, playing and saying "a car goes beep-beep, ah!" but.. hmm, if he was actually terrfiied. Hmm.

The stuff is creepy. It still freaks me out when I tell stories about the big owl that hooted at me 15 minutes before I found a complete stranger had killed himself in my back yard. I get the chills just writing it now...

I'm sorry about your little brother, that's terrible. He wasn't killed outside the grandma's house, was he?

----

On a side note. I know a family who lived in an old house and who's children used to talk about seeing people inside the house, who really weren't there. Then one summer, the Dad was outside cleaning the pool, he walked into the garage to get something and when he came back out (literally seconds later) his son was face down in the pool. The autopsy showed that child didn't have any water in his lungs and I believe deemed the death suffocation, not drowning.

Anyways, after the accident, the family had the house "cleaned" to remove the spirits that they thought killed their child... after that, the children claimed that they could see people at the windows.. staring into the house.

Creepy. Oh yeh.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
cr2sh said:
On a side note. I know a family who lived in an old house and who's children used to talk about seeing people inside the house, who really weren't there. Then one summer, the Dad was outside cleaning the pool, he walked into the garage to get something and when he came back out (literally seconds later) his son was face down in the pool. The autopsy showed that child didn't have any water in his lungs and I believe deemed the death suffocation, not drowning.

Anyways, after the accident, the family had the house "cleaned" to remove the spirits that they thought killed their child... after that, the children claimed that they could see people at the windows.. staring into the house.

Damn, lets not start telling ghost stories now. Not when it's night-time where I live. :(

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
That would creep me out. I don't get the "she goes by grandma's house" thing though, are you able to shed any light on that?

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Chaszmyr said:
That would creep me out. I don't get the "she goes by grandma's house" thing though, are you able to shed any light on that?

No, I have absolutely no idea what that was about. He went to sleep pretty quickly after that so I wasn't able to get him to say anything else. :confused:

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
cr2sh said:
Hmm. Did he actually scream, in terror, when he said it?

It's weird, no doubt and I can't really get the way it was said. I could imagine an ill child, not knowing it was as late and being close to you, playing and saying "a car goes beep-beep, ah!" but.. hmm, if he was actually terrfiied. Hmm.

The stuff is creepy. It still freaks me out when I tell stories about the big owl that hooted at me 15 minutes before I found a complete stranger had killed himself in my back yard. I get the chills just writing it now...

I'm sorry about your little brother, that's terrible. He wasn't killed outside the grandma's house, was he?

Thanks, and no, my brother was not anywhere near our parents house.

He actually screamed after he said beep beep. Not playing, just a quick scream, maybe 3 seconds, but really loud and screechy.

On another note though, he didn't seem scared. He just seemed kind of matter of fact about it.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
He might of been in a dream, but at that age it's really amazing and spooky.

Do you think you'll ask your son about it again or just leave it be?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
njmac, maybe he saw a more violent depiction of a car crash in a movie/on TV and is just reacting to it? Have you tried talking to him about it when he's awake?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
cr2sh said:
The autopsy showed that child didn't have any water in his lungs and I believe deemed the death suffocation, not drowning.
Well actually, that happens a lot to people who 'drown;' they panic and as such, close off their own air passageways not allowing water (and air) in and as such have no signs of water in their lungs. Still... it is a sad story. :(

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
cr2sh said:

Creepy. Oh yeh.
Oh my god, that's really creepy. You know the family personally?

Anyway, a few months ago, I had this nightmare of a woman being murdered by another woman who is conspiring with someone else. A few days later, the news reported body parts was found in plastic bags strewn across different areas in the city. The autopsy reveals that the parts belong to a young woman. After a few weeks of investigation, it was found that the lady was killed by another woman, together with the deceased lady's boyfriend.... I stopped following this news promptly after knowing this...

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I asked him about it this morning and he didn't remember.

I came right out and asked him who's car in his dream went beep beep and then I copied his sceam. He said Mommy's car, but really I think he was just saying the first thing that came to his mind.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
I myself also have a 3 year old who has had events similar to this. one night when he was 2 he woke up, got out of bed went to the refrigerator, grabbed his sippy cup of apple juice came back to the bedroom and proceeded to stand in the middle of the room drinking and staring at my wife and I with a very grumpy face. I asked him to come back to bed and he continued to drink and stare. after a minute or so I got up to bring him to bed and he shrugged me of with a deffinitive NO! we continued to watch him and he watched us. after 5 minutes he returned the sippy to the refrigorator came back to bed and said "machine" and fell back asleep. An inside note is that he called the dvd player "machine". to this day we dont know what his issue was and he didnt recall the event the next day. although your experience was creepy in a cinematic horror movie way I wouldnt look too far into it. children see so much that we wouldnt think they see. he could have just as easily watched a commercial where they were doing car crash tests to show how safe thier cars were. and he probably doesnt even remember it. get in your car and drive.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
devilot said:
njmac, maybe he saw a more violent depiction of a car crash in a movie/on TV and is just reacting to it? Have you tried talking to him about it when he's awake?

Maybe he did see it on TV when I wasn't around. That's hard to say. I don't know if I will ever know where that came from unless something bad happens.

It was just scary the way he said it. So matter of fact and all blood shot eyed and the way he fell down onto the pillow....and then repeating that car doesn't go beep beep , but beep beep scream :(

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
My son (almost 2) wakes up during the night now and then screaming about something or another. Sometimes it's coherent (about balloons or spiders or something) and sometimes it's just a scream. Kids have night terrors at that age because they are processing so much new material and just really beginning to understand their world and what's happening around them.

I wouldn't read too much into it - my son will talk about firetrucks scaring him now and then because they had a fire alarm at school last month. They perseverate on things because they have, relatively at least, few experiences to "worry" about. Your son likely was just putting two unrelated things together in a dream.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
freeny said:
I myself also have a 3 year old who has had events similar to this. one night when he was 2 he woke up, got out of bed went to the refrigerator, grabbed his sippy cup of apple juice came back to the bedroom and proceeded to stand in the middle of the room drinking and staring at my wife and I with a very grumpy face. I asked him to come back to bed and he continued to drink and stare. after a minute or so I got up to bring him to bed and he shrugged me of with a deffinitive NO! we continued to watch him and he watched us. after 5 minutes he returned the sippy to the refrigorator came back to bed and said "machine" and fell back asleep. An inside note is that he called the dvd player "machine". to this day we dont know what his issue was and he didnt recall the event the next day. although your experience was creepy in a cinematic horror movie way I wouldnt look too far into it. children see so much that we wouldnt think they see. he could have just as easily watched a commercial where they were doing car crash tests to show how safe thier cars were. and he probably doesnt even remember it. get in your car and drive.

Thanks, that made me feel much better about it.

I think you and devilot have a point. He may have seen something on a tv show or commercial when we had the TV on for us (or grandparents or other adult)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.