Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Old Jun 10, 2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Sky Blue

SMB2 is the new default protocol for sharing files in OS X Mavericks

SMB2 is replacing AFP as the default sharing protocol.

Quote:
SMB2
SMB2 is the new default protocol for sharing files in OS X Mavericks. SMB2 is superfast, increases security, and improves Windows compatibility.
• Efficient. SMB2 features Resource compounding, allowing multiple requests to be sent in a single request. In addition, SMB2 can use large reads and writes to make better use of faster networks as well as large MTU support for blazing speeds on 10 Gigabit Ethernet. It aggressively caches file and folder properties and uses opportu- nistic locking to enable better caching of data. It’s even more reliable, thanks to the ability to transparently reconnect to servers in the event of a temporary disconnect.
• Secure. SMB2 supports Extended Authentication Security using Kerberos and NTLMv2.
• Compatible. SMB2 is automatically used to share files between two Mac computers running OS X Mavericks, or when a Windows client running Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 connects to your Mac. Mavericks maintains support for AFP and SMB network file-sharing protocols, automatically selecting the appropriate protocol
as needed.
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:35 PM   #2
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

But can 10.8 at least read SMB2 so sharing isn't broken for older computers?
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Risco
macrumors 65816

About time, although what routers support it?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:43 PM   #4
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Open source dd-wrt supports everything.
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:44 PM   #5
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd View Post
But can 10.8 at least read SMB2 so sharing isn't broken for older computers?
10.9 also supports AFP and SMB for compatibility with older operating systems.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:47 PM   #6
oatman13
macrumors member

SMB is really slow. I hate being restricted to about 80MB/s... Does Windows Server support SMB2?
oatman13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 04:48 AM   #7
Mirai 11
macrumors 6502

Super Mario Brothers 2....?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 07:10 AM   #8
mdgm
macrumors 6502a

So does Mavericks use SMB2 for Time Machine backups to a Time Capsule? Or does it still use AFP?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 07:16 AM   #9
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgm View Post
So does Mavericks use SMB2 for Time Machine backups to a Time Capsule? Or does it still use AFP?
It doesn't look like the old Time Capsules support SMB2 from what I could see.

So I guess it depends on if the new (ac) Time Capsule supports SMB2 or if they release new firmware for the old Time Capsules with SMB2.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:37 AM   #10
Sky Blue

I would've thought connect to server would default to SMB, but in the GM it still defaults to AFP...
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:43 AM   #11
katmeef
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
Why would you need a different router? To the router it's all IP traffic regardless if you are using AFP or SMB2
katmeef is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:16 AM   #12
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeef View Post
Why would you need a different router? To the router it's all IP traffic regardless if you are using AFP or SMB2
I think what he means is to use SMB2 or AFP with a USB drive attached to a router, the router would need to support that protocol for USB disk access. This is why many (most) routers won't work for external USB disk Time Machine backups... they don't support AFP that TM needs.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:00 PM   #13
katmeef
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I think what he means is to use SMB2 or AFP with a USB drive attached to a router, the router would need to support that protocol for USB disk access. This is why many (most) routers won't work for external USB disk Time Machine backups... they don't support AFP that TM needs.
Wouldn't that be more of a NAS than a router?
katmeef is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:03 PM   #14
FrancoisC
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirai 11 View Post
Super Mario Brothers 2....?
Of course! There's a little plumber that takes your data throught network tubes and bring it to it's destination!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:08 PM   #15
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Wouldn't that be more of a NAS than a router?
Not really... lots of very low end routers now have a USB port that supports external drives and even AFP for Time Machine.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:17 PM   #16
katmeef
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Not really... lots of very low end routers now have a USB port that supports external drives and even AFP for Time Machine.
I work with commercial grade Cisco routers and I would certainly not consider NAS functions and router functions to be one in the same thing.
katmeef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:22 PM   #17
spaceballl
macrumors 68020

Time Machine will continue to use AFP.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:27 PM   #18
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
I work with commercial grade Cisco routers and I would certainly not consider NAS functions and router functions to be one in the same thing.
I honestly don't know what your point is.

Look at this Asus router for example. You can plug a USB drive into it and see that drive on the network just like a dedicated NAS device would do. The question was will a device like this need to be updated to support SMB2, and the answer is yes. That was all that was being mentioned.

I suppose we can argue about whether that makes this router into a NAS, but I don't see what that has to do with the original question.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 03:35 PM   #19
katmeef
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I honestly don't know what your point is.

Look at this Asus router for example. You can plug a USB drive into it and see that drive on the network just like a dedicated NAS device would do. The question was will a device like this need to be updated to support SMB2, and the answer is yes. That was all that was being mentioned.

I suppose we can argue about whether that makes this router into a NAS, but I don't see what that has to do with the original question.
The question was not if a "device like that" would need to be upgraded, rather if a "router" would need upgraded.

A NAS may need an upgrade but a router by definition would not. You're right that a device which *combines a router and NAS* may need an upgrade ..
katmeef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 03:49 PM   #20
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
The question was not if a "device like that" would need to be upgraded, rather if a "router" would need upgraded.

A NAS may need an upgrade but a router by definition would not. You're right that a device which *combines a router and NAS* may need an upgrade ..
From the wording of Risco's question it sounded like he was referring to routers that would be impacted by this, and routers that handle file transfer to external USB drives would potentially need an update to handle SMB2. That is all I was trying to say. Why you want to turn this into an argument is completely beyond me.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 04:20 PM   #21
Risco
macrumors 65816

I just installed this and my share on WD MyBook Live is still connecting via afp?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 04:30 PM   #22
matthewadams
macrumors member

I believe as long as NASes and other devices keep announcing AFP only via Bonjour all OSX does is connect via AFP. If the vendors slowly start introducing SMB2 to Bonjour over time, OSX might choose SMB2 over AFP.
Just a thought though..

Update: I was wrong. Even with SMB over Bonjour it still defaults to AFP (same with connecting to other 10.9 Macs).

Last edited by matthewadams; Oct 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM.
matthewadams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:19 PM   #23
roobieroo
macrumors newbie

Is this still Apple's screwed up SMBX version that they created for Lion and Mountain Lion or is this going to be back to a version of SMB that actually works well with Windows like it did in 10.6 server? It's hard to imagine having more problems and a worse implementation than SMBX in 10.7 and 10.8 so I really have my fingers crossed.
roobieroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:52 PM   #24
photosmike
macrumors member

Smb

Help me out. I can't seem to find where/how SMB service is started. I have file sharing checked with the SMB option set, but no love. Any ideas appreciated.
photosmike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 01:54 PM   #25
RabidMacFan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosmike View Post
Help me out. I can't seem to find where/how SMB service is started. I have file sharing checked with the SMB option set, but no love. Any ideas appreciated.
Not sure what you mean. Enabling file sharing and checking the SMB option is exactly how you are supposed to start the SMB service. You are done.
RabidMacFan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)