Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
I had hoped the Haswell rMBP's would be released today. But unfortunately not.

Currently I have an 13" 2008 MBP. It's a bit slow and small to work on, but I think I can live with it for about 3 months.

Do you think there will be Haswell rMBP's at that time?

Of course I could just buy one now. But spending that much money on a computer, I would be sad if something better came out in just a few months. I know the performance leap would be incremental, but stil...

It's a joke that Air gets the latest and greatest, but their flagship model doesn't.

So.... When do you think the Haswell rMBP's will arrive now??

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
in about 36h 23min and 15s

really no one has a clue to that when they will come

iPoopeh

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
People are saying we shall not see an update until this Fall around October. ^ ^ If you need one now, then get one & enjoy! :apple: There is really no point in waiting practically half a year for a minor refresh.

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
If you are planning on getting the 15 inch rMBP I'd go ahead and say buy now. The CPU and GPU increases won't be huge (only minor) so you really wouldn't notice a difference in performance.

If you are planning on getting the 13 inch rMBP I would wait off for it. Since current ones don't carry a dGPU that jump with Haswell iGPU could be worth it (you saw the 40% increase with the Air).

Now if the iGPU was say a slight bump like say 10-15% I'd just get one now also but the possibility of a 40% increase with iGPU should be worth waiting for.

Also don't get caught up with the "latest tech" game because there is always something better coming out next year!

sofianito

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2011
Spain
According to KGB securities analyst sofianito, the release forecast would be in "Red October"... Red is because after you buy your shiny MBP haswell, you'll receive a negative credit report from you bank... :D

hockeyfanatic

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
I had hoped the Haswell rMBP's would be released today. But unfortunately not.

Currently I have an 13" 2008 MBP. It's a bit slow and small to work on, but I think I can live with it for about 3 months.

Do you think there will be Haswell rMBP's at that time?

Of course I could just buy one now. But spending that much money on a computer, I would be sad if something better came out in just a few months. I know the performance leap would be incremental, but stil...

It's a joke that Air gets the latest and greatest, but their flagship model doesn't.

So.... When do you think the Haswell rMBP's will arrive now??

I'm waiting for rmbp updates also, and was disappointed.:(

Given the disgraceful economic standings, lowering prices of ultra-books,
I think Apple hit a home run on the new Air. 12 hour battery on a 13" ultralight notebook is incredibly amazing. Faster ssd and wi-fi are more pluses. Retina on that model would suck now, knowing how much battery without it is. Get the base 13" with 4GB and maybe 512gb flash.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
In Anandtech's review, he points out that the new Air have an PCIe SSD instead of SATA, which brings huge performance gains on the SSD side. Almost 800MB/s read/write speeds.

The current one has about 450MB/s.

So that would be a big increase in the new retina Macbook Pro.

Also, the Air uses LPDDR3 RAM, which uses less memory.

I don't need the computer until the end of August, and if the new rMBP is on its way there, I can easily wait.

I would just be devastated knowing that within a few months, a brand new Haswell laptop will come out with PCIe SSD and better RAM.

I just can't justify buying a computer with last-gen hardware for that much money, when even the Air and all competitors are shipping Haswell laptops with 802.11ac, PCIe SSD etc.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Gentle & silent

They may pull a gentle silent one on us, refresh i mean..........

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
its not a faster ram, its a low low power ram, since DDR3L is already low anyway

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
its not a faster ram, its a low low power ram, since DDR3L is already low anyway

I didn't write "faster RAM". I wrote "better RAM". Lower power RAM is of course better in a battery-driven laptop.

Last edited:

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
you should wait for the next upgrade...that battery life is insane and one of the best parts of "being mobile"

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
People are saying we shall not see an update until this Fall around October. ^ ^ If you need one now, then get one & enjoy! :apple: There is really no point in waiting practically half a year for a minor refresh.

Except it's not a minor refresh..
The MBA update included almost 50% better battery-life on the 13". As well as better wifi, better graphics, faster SSD, more SSD space by default and a better processor. One can presume that if they release the updated rMBP in Q3-Q4, it will include TB2.

I don't think that's so minor..

BASTI51

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
Germany
I think we could see an update around the 23.09.-07.10..

After Kuos predictions on the Air were correct we can expect the following on the rMBP13:

-DualCore with around the same clockspeeds
-HD5100
-AC-WLAN
-"slightly slimmer form factor for increasing its portability" as Kuo predicts
-~15h battery-life or 12h with slightly lighter weight
-PCIe-SSD
-FullHD-Facetime-Kamera
-OS X Maveriks

I could be wrong if Intel will releases additional CPUs.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
I think we could see an update around the 23.09.-07.10..

After Kuos predictions on the Air were correct we can expect the following on the rMBP13:

-DualCore with around the same clockspeeds
-HD5100
-AC-WLAN
-"slightly slimmer form factor for increasing its portability" as Kuo predicts
-~15h battery-life or 12h with slightly lighter weight
-PCIe-SSD
-FullHD-Facetime-Kamera
-OS X Maveriks

I could be wrong if Intel will releases additional CPUs.
i hope he is wrong, he didnt guessed anything really worthy on the mba launch

if the is right it means that we are going down in tdp with the rmbp 13, instead of 37w we are going 28w, I hope we go up not down

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Like another person here said, if you need a 15" get it now. The faster SSD, if it comes to the rMBP will be great but the current one is fast now.

If you need a 13" rMBP I'd wait. It's only going to be a matter of months, October at the latest I'd guess. It will have much better graphics which is important because it probably won't have a dGPU, and the case may be slightly thinner.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
You won't see the same kind of battery life increases with the 15" and with the 13" rMBP it depends on whether they go for the 28W ULV or a normal 37W or even a 47W CPU. Platform power won't drop as much for the non ULV non single chip Haswells.

Also the display is a big consumer and its power consumption won't be affected by Haswell. They might go for IGZO but I doubt they like the idea of a single supplier all that much.

iPlodder

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2008
Based on the Mac Pro preview I', guessing the updated MacBook Pro will be held until the Autumn/Fall so they can include Thunderbolt 2.

Seems like a natural spec-break between the Air vs Pro models, Non-Retina display vs Retina display, Thunderbolt 1.0 vs Thunderbolt 2.0.

Jodles

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
I'm getting more excited about the rMBP by the fact that it wasn't released yesterday. That means the possibility of TB2, and a few other goodies we probably wouldn't have gotten had it been released now. I'd hate to be stuck on the last iteration of a technology before an update, this is exactly what happened on my current MacBook (late 2008, first alubook before they turned "Pro").

Livewings

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
I'm getting more excited about the rMBP by the fact that it wasn't released yesterday. That means the possibility of TB2, and a few other goodies we probably wouldn't have gotten had it been released now. I'd hate to be stuck on the last iteration of a technology before an update, this is exactly what happened on my current MacBook (late 2008, first alubook before they turned "Pro").

I expect Apple to use Intel Core i5 4258U for rMBP 13 as the base configuration with Intel Iris 5100. It wouldn't make sense to use the M series with HD 4600 when the Airs have faster graphics.

For the rMBP 15, I still expect dedicated graphics to tag along Iris Pro 5200. AMD or Nvidia can be anybody's guess. The 4750HQ should be the one for base configuration.

Thunderbolt 2 should be in order together with Full HD FaceTime Cameras, PCIe Flash & IGZO displays.

Creep89

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
So do you think it will be 4750HQ, 4850HQ and 4950HQ? If you ask me I can't imagine Apple using the Intel HD 4600 in the 15" MBPr while shipping the Air with the Intel HD 5000, too :confused:

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011
South Melbourne, Australia
So do you think it will be 4750HQ, 4850HQ and 4950HQ? If you ask me I can't imagine Apple using the Intel HD 4600 in the 15" MBPr while shipping the Air with the Intel HD 5000, too :confused:

i don't see why is that issue, HD4600 theoretically will consume less power than HD5000 due to its lower performance...which is desirable since you want the GT650M to handle the heavier loads and leave the battery savings to the HD4600.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK

HD5000 in the new rMBP is a definite, along with a better dGPU.
Wifi AC is also guaranteed.
PCIe SSDs are an almost certainty.

Just give me those 3 and Im sold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.