Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:28 PM   #1
travod
macrumors member

Refreshed Macbook Air for College?

Off to college this fall and though my Late 2008 Unibody Macbook is still kicking, the battery is totally gone and it feels completely bogged down (and very little GB left). Regardless, it's time to get a new one.

What I'll use it for:
Lots of web surfing, YouTube, streaming movies etc, essays, and perhaps the occasional Portal 2 gaming.

I was really looking forward to just getting whatever the new MBP was going to be, but naturally Apple has ignored my prayers, so I'm thinking of the new MBA 13".

Actual questions:
1. RAM - how much and why? My Macbook now has 4GB and plays Portal pretty well (well, haven't played in ages). Will 8 GB make it run smoother? It did pause somewhat often.
2. Processor - I'm having trouble understanding why they would downgrade the standard GPU to 1.3 Ghz from 1.7. Should I upgrade that for my usage? Does it matter?

*Example of slowness: I'm watching a live stream from E3 and iStat is saying that I'm using around half of the CPU (it's 2.4 ghz) and if I do the four finger swipe it freezes for a second.

Last edited by travod; Jun 10, 2013 at 06:41 PM.
travod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:34 PM   #2
barrk
macrumors member

I'd go with the 8gb RAM

as for the processor, it does say 1.3ghz but if it needs to use more than that it will automatically scale up (up to 2.6 I believe). The SSD, Haswell processor, and Intel 5000 graphics will make it much much faster than your 2008 macbook pro.
barrk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:35 AM   #3
Mr. RPG
macrumors 6502a

I'd wait for benchmarks and the BTS promo before you choose (this is what I am doing).

Air is nice.. but that display... There are many many many tablets and phones with a higher resolution and better quality display that are much much much cheaper.
Mr. RPG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:54 AM   #4
Jedi Master
macrumors regular

Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by travod View Post
Off to college this fall and though my Late 2008 Unibody Macbook is still kicking, the battery is totally gone and it feels completely bogged down (and very little GB left). Regardless, it's time to get a new one.

What I'll use it for:
Lots of web surfing, YouTube, streaming movies etc, essays, and perhaps the occasional Portal 2 gaming.

I was really looking forward to just getting whatever the new MBP was going to be, but naturally Apple has ignored my prayers, so I'm thinking of the new MBA 13".

Actual questions:
1. RAM - how much and why? My Macbook now has 4GB and plays Portal pretty well (well, haven't played in ages). Will 8 GB make it run smoother? It did pause somewhat often.
2. Processor - I'm having trouble understanding why they would downgrade the standard GPU to 1.3 Ghz from 1.7. Should I upgrade that for my usage? Does it matter?

*Example of slowness: I'm watching a live stream from E3 and iStat is saying that I'm using around half of the CPU (it's 2.4 ghz) and if I do the four finger swipe it freezes for a second.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7058/2...ell-ult-inside
Jedi Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice