Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:40 PM   #1
djuarez03
macrumors regular

Anyone else surprised how much they bashed Scott Forstall?

At least in a subliminal way? I mean, I know they didn't outright take direct jabs at him by name, but the way they bashed the old aesthetics of iOS were, I thought, pretty direct jabs at Forstall's design aesthetics. I found it quite funny, but I thought it was a little un-like Apple to take jabs at an old executive like that. Still, I think some people were probably more surprised at seeing Windows 8 in an Apple Keynote. :P
djuarez03 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:50 PM   #2
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

The jabs, IMO, were well-deserved. While I'm not that much a fan of the gizmos and gimmicks shown in IOS 7 that I think are setting precedents in another extreme (no thanks, I really could do without Android-esque animated weather icons and the perpetual Ken Burns effect on my wallpaper images) the level of skeuemorphism in iOS 6 was really bad, and it's time to shed that stuff.

Forstall, even worse, was unapologetic for all of it. So, if if he was that way going out the door, then he kinda deserves this extra kick in the pants.

I just hope Apple moves on from it. And hopefully doesn't take this new direction to an even worse level. Right now, it's just barely not-obnoxious, so I'm still looking forward to the update.

If that moving background kills my battery life though, I'm gonna howl.

As for Windows 8: it shows that the web-based apps are cross-platform, which I think is useful and should be demonstrated. Windows 8 is no prize, but for people still using Windows 7, it'll be nice to collaborate with them.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:16 PM   #3
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Well Scott didnt exactly apologize for the stuff he did and not a lot of people liked the felt and leather.
rockyroad55 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:18 PM   #4
gadget123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by djuarez03 View Post
At least in a subliminal way? I mean, I know they didn't outright take direct jabs at him by name, but the way they bashed the old aesthetics of iOS were, I thought, pretty direct jabs at Forstall's design aesthetics. I found it quite funny, but I thought it was a little un-like Apple to take jabs at an old executive like that. Still, I think some people were probably more surprised at seeing Windows 8 in an Apple Keynote. :P
When they fail he can have the last laugh.

He will be remembered for great IOS's previous and this IOS7 will finish off sales and Apple will slip back to the dark ages.

Microsoft will win despite churning out crap themselves.
gadget123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:20 PM   #5
spacehog371
macrumors regular

To anyone who knows the drama behind him leaving, it was pretty obvious they were mocking Forstall with a lot of the comments.
spacehog371 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:22 PM   #6
gadget123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacehog371 View Post
To anyone who knows the drama behind him leaving, it was pretty obvious they were mocking Forstall with a lot of the comments.
Well it was not funny
gadget123 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:24 PM   #7
redman042
macrumors 65816

The skeumorphism was fine for most people for a while. But people grew tired of it. Yet Forstall pushed it farther rather than changing (Find My Friends being the worst example). Then he acted like a dick about it. So yeah he got what he deserved.
redman042 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:26 PM   #8
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by djuarez03 View Post
Anyone else surprised how much they bashed Scott Forstall?

You are reading WAAAAAaaaayyyy too much into it.

Remember skeuomorphism was something Steve Jobs supported too, are you saying the new Apple is bashing the venerable founder?

I read the new team finally gets to do that they wanted, nothing more.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 07:32 PM   #9
spacehog371
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget123 View Post
Well it was not funny
I thought it was pretty funny, and I don't think most people picked up that they were directed at Forstall. Don't think I'm alone either, the audience at the keynote laughed on those comments.
spacehog371 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7