Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At today's Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, Apple offered a sneak peek at the upcoming Mac Pro, which features a radical tubular redesign along with Intel Xeon processors and ECC memory.

After the keynote, WWDC attendees were able to get a closer look at the Mac Pro and Engadget posted a number of photos as well of a video of the new Mac Pro.

macpro.jpg

The new Mac Pro is a fraction of the size of Apple's last Mac Pro, which was originally released in mid-2010 with a small update in 2012. Though it is significantly smaller, the Mac Pro will include features like a full-sized HDMI connector, four USB sockets, six Thunderbolt 2 ports and two gigabit Ethernet ports.

Apple has not given an exact release date for the Mac Pro, but it is expected to debut later this year and it will be the only current Apple product assembled solely in the United States. MacRumors has additional photos of the Mac Pro provided by a developer.

newmacpro.jpg

macpro2.jpg

macpro3.jpg

Article Link: Apple Offers Developers a Closer Look at the New Mac Pro

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I have to admit, that computing power aside, the design of this thing actually has me excited. That is a cool looking "desktop".

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
"Apple can't innovate; my a**"
-Phil Schiller

Apple really surprised me today. Really excited for the fall.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I had a G4 Cube "back in the day," and that's the first thing that popped into my mind whilst watching the keynote today. I was planning to upgrade my '11 MBP next year; I think the Pro is the direction I'll head. I have a Thunderbolt display; the new Pro seems the obvious choice assuming it is priced at or below a high-spec retina MBP.

I guess we'll all wait and see!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Looks nice but what components are user serviceable? RAM (down from 8 slots in predecessor to 4) seems to be serviceable but dual graphics cards and single flash storage slot seem proprietary. I was really hoping for Apple-branded DAS and 4K Thunderbolt 2 Display to complement new Mac Pro.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Third Party Transparent case

Expect a third party transparent case. I know I wouldn't want to hide those beautiful internals.

randfee2

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Germany
Hopefully this thing will get Thunderbolt 3rd party devices going. I REALLY WANT a decent Thunderbolt Docking station kinda thing for my MBP. The two on the market suck and are way too pricey !

I get the feeling this MacPro will be super expensive though. I hate the fact that I can't even install my own SSD internally, but that is the only drawback I see! Don't know if I want to see the price on this baby!

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
Looks like a futuristic photon engine from NASA, never liked a desktop computer design so much.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Looks very interesting! Let's see what price point that Apple releases for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.