Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:54 PM   #1
OrangeCrush980
macrumors newbie

Did Mavericks bring back any more Snow Leopard stuff?

I know Rosetta isn't coming back at this point, but I was hoping that 10.9 would at least bring back scrollbar arrows.
OrangeCrush980 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:58 PM   #2
w0lf
macrumors 65816

Pretty sure

Scroll bar arrows
Spaces
Expose

are all dead and will never return.
w0lf is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:09 AM   #3
pionata
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0lf View Post
Pretty sure

Scroll bar arrows
Spaces
Expose

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!.......... arg$#?$&@#$!(@$
Sony TPS-L2 Portable Cassette Player
pionata is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 04:50 AM   #4
Sanchez25
macrumors 6502

What are Spaces? Aren’t they called Desktops now?

And scroll bar arrows, are you serious? Not long ago I had to check something on my old eMac, and I was shocked how clumsy everything felt. It’s so much easier to scroll through all kinds of things with the Magic Mouse now, even dragging the scroll bar itself feels so “complicated” to me personally.

So when I was back on my eMac I would always miss both the scroll bar and the arrows, I guess I can’t aim that good anymore But at least the arrows to go up and down were right next to each other, I remember when the one to go down was at the bottom, and the one to go up was at the top, that was so annoying, seriously

So it’s safe to say that it has evolved into the “good”

2013 iPad Air 128 GB Cellular, iOS 8
Proud -user since ever.
Sanchez25 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:12 AM   #5
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

The point Apple is making with the removal of scroll arrows is this:

Scrolling is now done with the input device:- Trackpad, "Magic" mouse, touch screen surface, whatever. You no longer need a control button somewhere on the screen that you have to schlep the pointer over to and then manipulate, in order to scroll.

You scroll by using your input device. Scroll arrows are therefore redundant and inefficient. And therefore out of here.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 02:51 PM   #6
mikecwest
macrumors regular

Quote:
Pretty sure

Scroll bar arrows
Spaces
Expose

I never go into Expose, don't miss the scroll bar arrows (anymore)

I REALLY REALLY do NOT miss that akward reversed scrolling in SL.

I really LOVED Spaces.... I only used two of them, for me it was "MAC" and "PC",
press APPLE-RT or APPLE-LT to toggle between my mac desktop and a full-screen virtual machine.

On that note, what I also miss is my dang APPLE key. Really? WTF? where is my Apple! If I was good at painting, I would paint my own Apple on those keys!
mikecwest is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:49 AM   #7
eecyclone
macrumors regular

Speaking of scroll bars from the older systems, the new scroll bars are really annoying when they get in the way. I have had to make the scroll bars always visible so they don't interfere with the last item in a window in list view.
eecyclone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2013, 02:18 AM   #8
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Spaces
Expose
Spaces is still there, it's just you can't put them in a grid: only in a horizontal line. You can still have loads of spaces and put different apps in each one.

Exposé is still there: Application Exposé shows you one app's windows at a time, and you can switch between apps to see each one's open windows in turn. Or use Mission Control, which is just the same as the old Exposé AFAICS.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 02:21 AM   #9
notrack
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
The point Apple is making with the removal of scroll arrows is this:

Scrolling is now done with the input device:- Trackpad, "Magic" mouse, touch screen surface, whatever. You no longer need a control button somewhere on the screen that you have to schlep the pointer over to and then manipulate, in order to scroll.

You scroll by using your input device. Scroll arrows are therefore redundant and inefficient. And therefore out of here.
I do agree that scrolling with the mouse or trackpad is easier than clicking on a tiny arrow. But it doesnt work everywhere. When you have long lists in filemaker or excel, there is not enouch precision to slowly scroll. There i do miss the arrows to precisely scroll up or down without accidently skipping rows.
notrack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 03:08 AM   #10
mif
macrumors Demi-God

I really miss them arrows!
Old Jul 21, 2013, 03:26 AM   #11
omnimoeish
macrumors member

Yes, I know Apple doesn't read this, but hopefully someone at Apple has noticed how annoying it is to click on the last item in a list in a folder because the scroll bar appears over it. How did that get past anyone with half a brain? I have to click on one of the items above it and then arrow down to the last one. It feels very unpolished, almost Microsofty.

Also the scroll thing. A lot of older people just don't get the 2 finger scroll thing. I know if you're under 30 it's obviously better and intuitive, but I'm not upgrading my grandparents Snow Leopard because even though they have the magic mouse, they'll never think about using it to finger scroll.
omnimoeish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 07:32 AM   #12
Risco
macrumors 65816

Scroll bar arrows are of no use at all, trackpad rules so get over it.

Spaces

Spaces is still there, just done much, much better. No need to clunk around in the interface, only a couple of gestures.

First swipe four fingers up
Move mouse to the edge and make a new desktop.
Grab app from existing desktop and drag to newly created one.
Swipe in between desktops with four fingers.
Simple....

Scrolling:

It is now done properly...

Oh and OSX Mavericks UI is now GPU accelerated which is a million times better than the old way. At the end of the day nobody FORCES you to upgrade, unless you buy a new laptop / desktop each year that requires the latest OS...
Old Jul 21, 2013, 07:49 AM   #13
ohbrilliance
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
Scroll arrows are therefore redundant and inefficient.
Don't forget the other purpose of scrollbars - to show you where you are in a document. This information is now missing, which is a step backwards.
ohbrilliance is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 08:28 AM   #14
adnbek
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbrilliance View Post
Don't forget the other purpose of scrollbars - to show you where you are in a document. This information is now missing, which is a step backwards.
No, the option to have them always on is there. Also, if you leave it at default setting, you can place two fingers on the trackpad/mouse to reveal the bars at any time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-07-21 at 9.26.39 AM.png
Views:	65
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	424075  
adnbek is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 08:37 AM   #15
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez25 View Post
even dragging the scroll bar itself feels so “complicated” to me personally.
Maybe you shouldn't be using computers. If dragging a scroll bar is complex, opening a word document must pretty impossible for you.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 08:52 AM   #16
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbrilliance View Post
Scroll arrows. Not scroll bars.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X Mavericks (10.9)