Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yelp today announced an update to their iOS app that redesigns the Nearby tab so it displays recommendations based on location, previous check-ins and more.
Our updated Nearby tab now offers suggestions based on your location, previous Yelp check-ins and reviews, and Yelp friends as well as other data like the time of day and even the weather. At Yelp, we have an entire community of reviewers that we rely on to suggest places you might not know about, as well as places that you and your friends love. Maybe you'll discover something new, maybe you'll understand what the neighborhood has to offer, or maybe you'll be reminded of an old favorite.
On their blog Yelp shares a potential use case for the new feature, noting that checking the Nearby tab at lunch could have the app recommend a place nearby that has good lunch options or a place where lots of Yelpers have recently checked in and enjoyed.

yelpnearbyupdate.png
The app also sees its Events also get a redesign, with the most popular events also getting a slot in the Nearby tab so users can keep up with local events.

Yelp is a universal update that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Yelp Updated With 'Nearby' Recommendations Based on Location, Weather and More

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
yelp sucks, not easy to use on the go at all. This was the only disappointment in today's WWDC keynote, that they didn't buy foursquare...it's 1000 percent better than yelp, and foursquare has better, more up-to-date data on their places. I just think foursquare would be a better fit for apple, and I'm still hoping they will buy or include foursquare instead of (or in addition to) yelp with new ios7/OS X maps.

Kmad86

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
Yelp is a racket. Don't pay, they will make fake ratings about you. It's a fact.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Harsh words on Yelp! I've never had a serious issue, maybe a couple of places with incorrect info. I like the idea of contextual suggestions, but hope it doesn't get too focused, just showing things with the proper keywords or whatever.

herr_neumann

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Roseville, Ca
Harsh words on Yelp! I've never had a serious issue, maybe a couple of places with incorrect info. I like the idea of contextual suggestions, but hope it doesn't get too focused, just showing things with the proper keywords or whatever.

That is because you are in NYC, which (like here in SF) has a whole different yelp experience when compared to "other" areas of the country...

robanybody

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2013
Did anyone else notice that the built-in search engine being used here is Bing? From Microsoft? :)

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Maybe yelp is ok in nyc or san fran, but, I'm sorry, I tried, when I got my iPhone 5 w/iOS 6, yelp was integrated w/maps...I really tried to get into yelp, but, it really is deficient, if you've already been using foursquare, there just is a canyon between the two...and I came across more than a couple closed locations that were not up to date on yelp, so I gave up on it. Foursquare has a much larger mobile user base, I really would like to see it integrated into maps instead of yelp.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
yelp never stops, they keep on changing and improving things so that the users to get bored, it's a good thing, the new "nearby recommendations" feature just made it even better.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Yelp has the worst, least verified, location data out of any app in the genre. Apple would do well to distance themselves as far as they possibly can from that disaster.

I mean, what good are "nearby recommendations" if they aren't actually nearby?

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
Yelp is a racket. Don't pay, they will make fake ratings about you. It's a fact.
it's worse than that. Look up almost any business on yelp and read the reviews. Apparently not all the reviews are counted towards the rating.
This is why you can find mechanics with 5 star ratings that have nothing but complaints.
Yelp is a scam.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
That is because you are in NYC, which (like here in SF) has a whole different yelp experience when compared to "other" areas of the country...

Guess I should update that--moved to jersey a while back, but it's still a yelp-friendly area. I got hooked on yelp living in Austin, another tech and food heavy city. I'm about to move to eastern Maryland, but to another college town, it'll be interesting if I have to switch. I've never tried foursquare.

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
I still don't understand why I can't submit reviews from my phone. It's annoying as hell. I get that maybe they want people to step back and think before posting an angry review in the middle of their bad experience, but it's still kinda lame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.