Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Jun 10, 2013, 08:29 PM   #1
nStyle
macrumors 6502a

I was able to downgrade iOS 7 to iOS 6.1.4

I purchased a UDID slot and installed the iOS 7 IPSW via iTunes, and it would not let me activate. I am assuming this is due to the server load right now as I am definitely going to try again later.

I panicked, threw my iPhone 5 into recovery mode, clicked restore in iTunes, and wa-la, 6.1.4.

So, I don't know that this will work for everyone, but just thought I'd share my experience.
nStyle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 08:45 PM   #2
brendu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nStyle View Post
I purchased a UDID slot and installed the iOS 7 IPSW via iTunes, and it would not let me activate. I am assuming this is due to the server load right now as I am definitely going to try again later.

I panicked, threw my iPhone 5 into recovery mode, clicked restore in iTunes, and wa-la, 6.1.4.

So, I don't know that this will work for everyone, but just thought I'd share my experience.
Interesting, I had exactly the same issue. It would not let me activate. Maybe their servers are overloaded right now...

I also downgraded successfully, will try to get 7 working later on.
brendu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Metatron
macrumors 6502

Have not downgraded yet...but it will not let me active either...

iCloud.com is also pretty iffy right now. Tried to access my mail...kept timing out.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 08:52 PM   #4
ethereal45
macrumors regular

I also bought a UDID slot, and while they said it's registered, I can't activate. Going to try and downgrade my 4S back to 6.1.3......wish me luck.
ethereal45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 08:56 PM   #5
brendu
macrumors 68000

So it probably is Apple's servers cant keep up with everyone trying to upgrade right now. Hopefully we can all get this working properly later or tomorrow
Old Jun 10, 2013, 09:25 PM   #6
ethereal45
macrumors regular

I wish there was a way to check if your device was registered instead of having to spent 30 minutes upgrading and downgrading again if it doesn't work....
ethereal45 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 09:27 PM   #7
brendu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal45 View Post
I wish there was a way to check if your device was registered instead of having to spent 30 minutes upgrading and downgrading again if it doesn't work....
My device is registered according to my profiles in developer.apple.com but its still not working. A little frustrating but Apple's servers are probably as slammed as they have ever been for a developer preview of anything... Ill keep trying and hope to get it done before going to bed.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:10 PM   #8
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Correct me if in wrong, but I think this has always been the case. You can always "downgrade" to the highest current "gold" release of iOS. Apple isn't going to force you to stick with a beta software as the point of beta is big testing. Would be terrible if there was a fatal error rendering your phone useless yet you couldn't revert back to a known working version.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:07 PM   #9
ethereal45
macrumors regular

Let me know if you get your device activated. I think my UDID is registered now, but I don't want to go through the whole process if the servers are swamped.
ethereal45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:54 AM   #10
jollino
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
Correct me if in wrong, but I think this has always been the case. You can always "downgrade" to the highest current "gold" release of iOS. Apple isn't going to force you to stick with a beta software as the point of beta is big testing. Would be terrible if there was a fatal error rendering your phone useless yet you couldn't revert back to a known working version.
I am a "legitimate" developer (ie. I have my own apps on the store, etc.) but last night euphoria for iOS 7 led me to a painful install on my iPhone 5. A few hours of slep later I'm regretting it too many apps I rely on for everyday stuff just crash brutally and I'd like to downgrade, but I thought I'd ask for confirmation first as I read it may end up bricking the device.

Did you just download the official 6.1.4 IPSW file off the Apple servers (http://osxdaily.com/2013/05/02/ios-6...-for-iphone-5/) and restored in DFU mode?

Thanks!

PS: for whatever reason, iMessage on the Mac stopped working for me too. I have on idea if it's related.
jollino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:14 AM   #11
Bako-MacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Same thing happened to me lol . Guess the servers were slammed . Tried a few hours later and Bam ! Activation was successful . iOS 7 is just plain beautiful I must say ! So happy
Bako-MacAddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:02 AM   #12
u521xxxx
macrumors newbie

Unhappy

I'm having a problem with the firmware, I downloaded from *****, which everytime I downloaded from this place. My UDID is already registered since my friend gave me a slot.

Everytime I hit SHIFT+RESTORE or SHIFT+UPDATE

"The iPhone "xxxx" could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible"

When I'm pretty sure everything is up-to-date!! Need some help out here!
u521xxxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:13 AM   #13
kdavis103
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nStyle View Post

Is there anyway that you could elaborate on this? I have the same issue where I purchased a slot, installed iOS 7 and then to my horror received a screen on my phone telling me that I was not registered. Now when I plug it into iTunes it pops a message telling me it is not registered and then my phone disappears. Very frustrated.
kdavis103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:14 AM   #14
UmbraDiaboli
macrumors member

Google iOS 6.1.3 Download, (or iOS 6.1.4) and download the ISPW from the internet. Then ALT+Click restore, select the ISPW and done.
UmbraDiaboli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:16 AM   #15
MVallee
macrumors 6502

I did the option+click restore to get iOS 7 and kept getting the activation error (my UDID was registered). I put it into DFU, hit restore and went back to 6.1.4. I then option+clicked update, selected the ipsw file and tried upgrading to 7 and it worked like a charm, activated right away.
MVallee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:17 AM   #16
Zombiechow
macrumors newbie

There was a crazy rumor circulating about the inability to do this.

I too was able to downgrade. No sweat. Threw my phone into DFU mode, downloaded 6.1.4, and I've been fine ever since.
Zombiechow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:29 AM   #17
Big Dawg 23
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiechow View Post
There was a crazy rumor circulating about the inability to do this.

I too was able to downgrade. No sweat. Threw my phone into DFU mode, downloaded 6.1.4, and I've been fine ever since.

Its no crazy rumor. When you go to the Developers iOS7 Beta section there is a list of things about selecting the correct image to download among other items. One of the bullet points says you can not revert back to an old version of iOS.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 08:58 AM   #18
kdavis103
macrumors newbie

Sorry to be that guy that does not know the slightest thing but how do you put your phone into DFU mode?
kdavis103 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:00 AM   #19
bisnicks
macrumors regular

I had the same issues with not being an authorized developer. Here's the fix.

Instead of option clicking restore, simply do it on update.

Originally I had done a full restore and had no luck getting it to work. I put it in DFU mode, restored to 6.1.4 and did a option update and was in in no time.
bisnicks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:05 PM   #20
msephton
macrumors member

I've also just downgraded: DFU mode, then a simple press of restore

Accept the dialog that says you'll restore and update to the latest, and iTunes will download 6.1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavis103 View Post
Sorry to be that guy that does not know the slightest thing but how do you put your phone into DFU mode?
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034
msephton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:12 PM   #21
cyda
macrumors newbie

guys you dont even need to register your UDID. Just hold alt(or shift) and klick UPDATE, not restore and you are good to go
cyda is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7