Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Jun 10, 2013, 08:58 PM   #1
paradigm2200
macrumors newbie

Mophie Juice Pack, iPhone 5 and Charger heat

I purchased a new Mophie Juice Pack Air for my iPhone 5 and have tried to use it on several occasions. Each time whenever I'm charging the mophie and iphone 5...it will charge for about 30-40 minutes and then suddenly stop. I've also noticed that the apple charger also heats up very hot...I'm not sure whats going on....I've own previous mophie products and nothing like this has every happened...After the charger is left to cool unplugged, chargering resumes again...this has happened on multiple chargers.

any idea? kinda scared to use it now
paradigm2200 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 03:04 AM   #2
ProMinx
macrumors newbie

Where did you buy it? If you bought from ebay or (especially) Amazon, you probably have a counterfeit. Amazon is a notorious source for counterfeit mophie products. You can barely but a real one from Amazon, even those bought directly from Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon are usually counterfeits. The Amazon business model is intentionally aimed to make it easy for counterfeiters to succeed.
ProMinx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040

This may be your better option:
Maxboost Fusion Detachable External iPhone 5 Battery Case - Black/Grey , Fits All Versions of iPhone 5 - Lightning Connector Integrated
http://amzn.com/B00B2CFESI

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:01 PM   #4
ProMinx
macrumors newbie

So his better option is to listen to your advertisements?

Also that Maxboost Fusion looks identical to the Boostcase Hybrid. Way to innovate! Though I believe they are both just rebrands of generic models available directly from Chinese factories, so expect generic chinese factory quality (basically the same as the counterfeit you've already experimented with).
ProMinx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:24 PM   #5
paradigm2200
macrumors newbie

Bought it from Best Buy...might just go back and have it exchanged...
paradigm2200 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 04:06 PM   #6
mophie
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm2200 View Post
Bought it from Best Buy...might just go back and have it exchanged...
The Juice Pack Air should provide a continuous charge to the phone when the standby switch is turned to green. If the charge is stopping after 30/40 minutes, there is a problem somewhere. Are you using the mophie-supplied Micro-USB cable? Also, you can try charging them separate a few times to see if that fixes the issue. If not, we'd recommend taking it back for exchange at your retailer or going to www.mophie.com/TS to get a replacement under warranty.
mophie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:26 PM   #7
Caesars
macrumors member

My helium often heats up, so far I haven't noticed any problems. My air on the other hand doesn't heat up at all.
Caesars is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 06:37 PM   #8
boostcase
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMinx View Post
So his better option is to listen to your advertisements?

Also that Maxboost Fusion looks identical to the Boostcase Hybrid. Way to innovate! Though I believe they are both just rebrands of generic models available directly from Chinese factories, so expect generic chinese factory quality (basically the same as the counterfeit you've already experimented with).
Hi ProMinx, yes the "MaxBoost" is a direct infringement on the Boostcase Hybrid patented product design. Not to mention it is not-MFI certified, Boostcase battery products are all officially MFI certified by Apple. Most likely the "lightning connector" it uses is fake.

Please note that all Boostcase products are 100% original designs and molds most of which are patented due to the uniqueness in their functionality and industrial design. No Boostcase branded products are made from a generic mold. Any items coming out of unauthorized suppliers is counterfeit product and you are absolutely right that Amazon does not police counterfeits in any way. If you are looking for genuine products we suggest purchasing from the brand website directly or major brick and mortar retailers.
boostcase is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:53 AM   #9
jcpb
macrumors 6502a

Both mophie and boostcase need their vendor tags imo.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 04:33 PM   #10
darky90
macrumors member

I remember when I bought mine, I also had the same issue. I bought it directly from their site too. Shipped it back for an exchange and it happened again. Don't know, maybe it's just pure bad luck for me. You probably should exchange it or look for something else. I'm happy with my 2 Ravpower chargers and 1 Anker charger.... I wonder if I have too many. hmmm
darky90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:10 PM   #11
jcpb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by darky90 View Post
I remember when I bought mine, I also had the same issue. I bought it directly from their site too. Shipped it back for an exchange and it happened again. Don't know, maybe it's just pure bad luck for me. You probably should exchange it or look for something else. I'm happy with my 2 Ravpower chargers and 1 Anker charger.... I wonder if I have too many. hmmm
Too many? Not really. I have 2 large battery packs, 3 that use regular AA batteries, a 4S battery case... and I'm getting a Limeade sometime next week. lol
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:16 PM   #12
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040

The Maxboost case for iPhone 5 is fine for me. It has a larger battery than the mophie and is 50$ cheaper.

Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:04 PM   #13
darky90
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpb View Post
Too many? Not really. I have 2 large battery packs, 3 that use regular AA batteries, a 4S battery case... and I'm getting a Limeade sometime next week. lol
Hhaha. Oh cool, i'm not the only one then.
darky90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 01:16 AM   #14
dannyhex
macrumors regular

I use the juice pack air i got from bestbuy and sometimes it gets hot but no big deal to me
dannyhex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 08:35 PM   #15
thevmax
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mophie View Post
The Juice Pack Air should provide a continuous charge to the phone when the standby switch is turned to green. If the charge is stopping after 30/40 minutes, there is a problem somewhere. Are you using the mophie-supplied Micro-USB cable? Also, you can try charging them separate a few times to see if that fixes the issue. If not, we'd recommend taking it back for exchange at your retailer or going to www.mophie.com/TS to get a replacement under warranty.
I did all of the above, (I purchased my mophie juicepack directly from Mophie, and they supplied a new cable too).
I even sent the unit back and they replaced it. I still have heat problems when charging the iphone 5 when it is attached to the mophie juice pack. (And I always use the Mophie cable when charging the juicepack). This actually JUST HAPPENED yesterday, 07/31/2013! The only thing that works for me is charging the iphone separately and the mophie separately...
thevmax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 03:27 AM   #16
JoJobat
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
I did all of the above, (I purchased my mophie juicepack directly from Mophie, and they supplied a new cable too).
I even sent the unit back and they replaced it. I still have heat problems when charging the iphone 5 when it is attached to the mophie juice pack. (And I always use the Mophie cable when charging the juicepack). This actually JUST HAPPENED yesterday, 07/31/2013! The only thing that works for me is charging the iphone separately and the mophie separately...
When charging both units together you have to have the switch in the back turned on (green). Otherwise, you will have the symptoms your experiencing.

Both units will charge with the switch turned to the on position, and you will not experience the symptoms you have encountered.

Last edited by JoJobat; Aug 23, 2013 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Error when editing Repeated info
JoJobat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:49 PM   #17
rjkgr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmanbaseball2 View Post
The Maxboost case for iPhone 5 is fine for me. It has a larger battery than the mophie and is 50$ cheaper.

maxboot link please?
rjkgr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:53 PM   #18
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjkgr View Post
maxboot link please?
Here it is but I HIGHLY recommend that you do NOT get this battery case because it is not MFi certified/ Apple Certified and will most likely not work with iOS 7. I recommend the uNu Power DX iPhone 5 battery case instead that is Apple Certified.
MFi Certified:
uNu Power DX External Protective Battery Case for iPhone 5 - MFI Apple Certified (Matte Black, Fits All Models iPhone 5)
http://amzn.com/B00B1UQBGA

NOT MFi Certified but works fine on iOS 6:
Maxboost Atomic Air External Protective iPhone 5 Battery Case / iPhone 5S Battery Case - Matte Black / Black ( Fits All Versions of iPhone 5 / 5S- Lightning Connector Output, MicroUSB Input )
http://amzn.com/B00B4O7GIA
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:16 AM   #19
rjkgr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Here it is but I HIGHLY recommend that you do NOT get this battery case because it is not MFi certified/ Apple Certified and will most likely not work with iOS 7. I recommend the uNu Power DX iPhone 5 battery case instead that is Apple Certified.
MFi Certified:
uNu Power DX External Protective Battery Case for iPhone 5 - MFI Apple Certified (Matte Black, Fits All Models iPhone 5)
http://amzn.com/B00B1UQBGA

NOT MFi Certified but works fine on iOS 6:
Maxboost Atomic Air External Protective iPhone 5 Battery Case / iPhone 5S Battery Case - Matte Black / Black ( Fits All Versions of iPhone 5 / 5S- Lightning Connector Output, MicroUSB Input )
http://amzn.com/B00B4O7GIA
but that one is cheaper? and okay thanks for the info on that i didnt know
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:19 AM   #20
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
but that one is cheaper? and okay thanks for the info on that i didnt know
Yes but spend the extra $15 for one that apple approved. Your welcome too.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:21 AM   #21
rjkgr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yes but spend the extra $15 for one that apple approved. Your welcome too.
apple approved doesnt always mean it works the best?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 02:23 PM   #22
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
apple approved doesnt always mean it works the best?
Just want to clarify to you that MFi and Apple Approved are the same thing BTW.

What do you mean works the best? It's a case that charges tour iPhone. Just has to be 2100+mah to get a full 100% charge.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 05:22 PM   #23
xAnthony
macrumors 65816

This actually just started happening to me as well... I thought something was wrong with the Mophie, so I sent it back. Continuing to do so with the new one... Every 30 minutes my phone will start vibrating (Making the noise it makes once you plug in the phone). And it continues to do that until I unplug it. I'm so frustrated with Mophie right now... I'm on my fifth replacement, and there's still an issue with this case.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 01:08 PM   #24
rjkgr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Just want to clarify to you that MFi and Apple Approved are the same thing BTW.

What do you mean works the best? It's a case that charges tour iPhone. Just has to be 2100+mah to get a full 100% charge.
true and yeah. i just saying some can be cheaper and work the same, so its not always the best choice
Old Aug 28, 2013, 01:10 PM   #25
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
true and yeah. i just saying some can be cheaper and work the same, so its not always the best choice
There is not many cheap ones that are mfi certified anyway for the iPhone 5

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories