Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Hi, not sure if this should be here or the iOS 7 forum.

I've got a few questions regarding getting apps ready for iOS 7.

I made my first app a couple of months ago so i've never been through this "New iOS" process as a developer.

1) So i Understand i need to update my icon, screenshots etc for my app. When by?

2) I'd assume i need to use the developer version of xCode 5 but that doesn support app submission. Is it a case of using it but not uploading yet untill they allow submission (presumebly before public release of iOS 7).

3) I'm currently creating a new app and i'm not sure if I should just keep developing it for iOS 6 (should be done in a couple of weeks), or create it aimed at iOS 7 (using Xcode 4). I'm in sort of app Limbo here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
First, although your questions don't really touch on iOS 7 specifics much, let me point out that iOS 7 is still under NDA. So, you may find members less than forthcoming as they won't want to violate that. This doesn't just apply to you, but anybody seeking iOS 7 help in these forums.

Hi, not sure if this should be here or the iOS 7 forum.
Since it deals with iOS Programming, it's appropriate here.

1) So i Understand i need to update my icon, screenshots etc for my app. When by?
Where did you hear this?

2) I'd assume i need to use the developer version of iOS 5 but that doesn support app submission. Is it a case of using it but not uploading yet untill they allow submission (presumebly before public release of iOS 7).
What do you mean by "the developer version of iOS 5"? Are you referring to the SDK?

3) I'm currently creating a new app and i'm not sure if I should just keep developing it for iOS 6 (should be done in a couple of weeks), or create it aimed at iOS 7 (using Xcode 4). I'm in sort of app Limbo here.
Although upgrade percentage to a new OS by the end user is pretty high for iOS (93% running iOS 6, according to the keynote yesterday), if you have nothing in your app that is specific to iOS 7 and it will be ready that quickly, I'd say just go with targeting iOS 6, for now. Then, you can look at iOS 7 in more depth and figure out what changes you might want to make later.

thedon1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
1) I was having a look through the iOS 7 section of the Apple Developer website, it had a page related to getting you're app ready for iOS 7. It read like it was a requirement but didn't explicitly say that or mention when by.

2) Sorry I meant Xcode 5, I've corrected the original post, my mistake.

3) Good advice, thanks for that. That's the apporach i'll take.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Everything pertaining to iOS 7, OS X 10.9, and Xcode 5 is covered by NDAs until the public release. If you'd like to discuss the specifics, you may do so only on Apple's official ADC forums. Which I've never managed to log into... I've sent an email to their support people... Hopefully they'll fix whatever issues my account has or tell me what I need to do.

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia
1) I was having a look through the iOS 7 section of the Apple Developer website, it had a page related to getting you're app ready for iOS 7. It read like it was a requirement but didn't explicitly say that or mention when by.

2) Sorry I meant Xcode 5, I've corrected the original post, my mistake.

3) Good advice, thanks for that. That's the apporach i'll take.

It seems to me that talking about the iOS 7 section of the developer website is crossing the line to disclosing NDA information.

I would strongly suggest you post these sorts of questions/comments to the Apple iOS 7 beta board, since that is restricted to NDA'ed developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.