Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fotomatt1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
So I've been on the fence about switching from iOS to Android for a little while now, and have been eyeing up the Samsung GS4 on Verizon. I'm eligible for a new phone next week, and was going to wait for the intro of the next iPhone, but I'm pretty sure we saw most of what it'll have to offer yesterday with the intro of iOS 7, other than a speed bump and maybe some other minor features. I've really wanted a larger screen. The only thing holding me back is the ease of iCloud, and the fact that I really like iMessage. I can probably live without both of these things, and the addition of BBM on iOS and Android might rectify the whole iMessage thing anyway.

I don't feel like there are many groundbreaking changes in iOS 7, so I might be closer to making the move towards Android. Just curious which direction yesterday's introduction pushed some of you?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
iOS 7 pushed me to where my next phone will probably be an iPhone (again).

It'll be a while, but still.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
IMO, the wow factor (whether for better or worst) was the updated os design. On the functionality side, everything was eithier expected or long overdue. Based on my dislike for the design and the fact that the 5S will practically be the same as the 5. I 'll wait for the 6 and iOS8 before I even think about switching back.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
As someone who has also been on the fence, I'd say iOS 7 pushed me back towards Android. Still on the fence when it comes to the HTC One and S4...

----------

I'm not sure. I was busy yesterday and haven't really had a chance to look at it.

Picture iOS 6 but as someonelse said it, in my little pony colors. :D

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
People are forgetting that if the iPhone 5s turns out to be the usual s-upgrade you're still stuck with a 4" screen, no notification light, no dual speakers, and the insistency on a hardware home button.

Nothing in iOS 7 will make the 4" screen any bigger.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
So I've been on the fence about switching from iOS to Android for a little while now, and have been eyeing up the Samsung GS4 on Verizon. I'm eligible for a new phone next week, and was going to wait for the intro of the next iPhone, but I'm pretty sure we saw most of what it'll have to offer yesterday with the intro of iOS 7, other than a speed bump and maybe some other minor features. I've really wanted a larger screen. The only thing holding me back is the ease of iCloud, and the fact that I really like iMessage. I can probably live without both of these things, and the addition of BBM on iOS and Android might rectify the whole iMessage thing anyway.

I don't feel like there are many groundbreaking changes in iOS 7, so I might be closer to making the move towards Android. Just curious which direction yesterday's introduction pushed some of you?

I would miss imessage and some of the other apple features if i moved to android. But i think most ppl go with an iphone because they don't want an android. That statement seems rather obvious, where someone would say duh! But with every OS, apple is looking more and more like android. So i think it will push ppl towards android at some point. Yes apple has better apps, imessage, itunes etc. But i think like me, ppl will eventually start thinking well hell. As long as my iphone looks like a dam android device, i may as well as get an android. (With the bigger screen, and this and that etc)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
People are forgetting that if the iPhone 5s turns out to be the usual s-upgrade you're still stuck with a 4" screen, no notification light, no dual speakers, and the insistency on a hardware home button.

I hope that there will be a screen larger than 4" on the next iPhone. Dual speakers and a notification light would be nice. I like the hardware home button.

fotomatt1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
I hope that there will be a screen larger than 4" on the next iPhone. Dual speakers and a notification light would be nice. I like the hardware home button.

Unless apple has managed to keep it under wraps as they did with the Mac Pro, the next iPhone will be the expected 5S. You'll never see a notification light on an iPhone until Apple comes up with a way to convince the world that they invented the notification light. Dual speakers don't interest me on a smartphone as mine is always on vibrate and I used headphones for music and video.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008

This plus iOS 7 would be absolutely great, in fairness.

Apple do seem to slowly be listening to the criticism. Let's see if they give us the option of a larger screen.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
This plus iOS 7 would be absolutely great, in fairness.

Apple do seem to slowly be listening to the criticism. Let's see if they give us the option of a larger screen.

Apple has no choice if they want to stay competitive. Some Apple fans truly believe that Apple can just do whatever they feel regardless of competition, criticism, and consumer wants. This just isn't true, Apple is not in the safe zone any more.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Some of us don't see it as "being stuck" with those things.

I for one hope they never do away with hardware buttons (especially the silence button - that thing is INFINITELY more valuable and more useful that the HTC One's way of silencing the phone).

----------

Unless apple has managed to keep it under wraps as they did with the Mac Pro, the next iPhone will be the expected 5S. You'll never see a notification light on an iPhone until Apple comes up with a way to convince the world that they invented the notification light. Dual speakers don't interest me on a smartphone as mine is always on vibrate and I used headphones for music and video.

This is a juvenille comment.....during that iOS 7 presentation what did they try to convince the audience they invented? In fact, aside from trying to go after OEMs over essentially the original iPhone and iOS patents, what has Apple tried to convince us they've invented?

They market like they are the only smartphone company in the world - so what? That's not a bad thing. As a fan of Apple, I prefer them to stay true to what's made me a fan of them and not worry about what other people are doing.

This is a tired and idiotic meme, regurgitated by people who either want to stir up trouble or simply don't know any better.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Nowhere. Nothing has changed.

I'll still own an iPhone, an Android phone, and a Windows Phone.

Android 4.1 was nice, iOS 7 is nice and hopefully WP 8.1 is nice.

I'm a fan of technology not brands or platforms.

fotomatt1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Nowhere. Nothing has changed.

I'll still own an iPhone, an Android phone, and a Windows Phone.

Android 4.1 was nice, iOS 7 is nice and hopefully WP 8.1 is nice.

I'm a fan of technology not brands or platforms.

Well said!!! If it were affordable I would have all of these devices as well. My wife who happens to be a Usability Engineer loves the WP8 UI....but will not buy it due to lack of app support. We're both fans of tech, but the cost of owning multiple smart phones is prohibitive for most people due to the policies of US carriers, so we need to pick just one. Being in a creative field, I'm a heavy Apple user...both work and home computers, plus Apple TV and iPad and up to now, iPhone, but I'm really starting to see some of the benefits of Android and am seriously considering going that way.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
I'm still on the fence. There was a little bit there but a lot still missing. Disappointed that there was nothing about new hardware (didn't really expect it) but if I knew the 5S was going to have a 4 inch screen, I would definitely move on.

Ecosystem is keeping me locked in so far.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I will say this - I had been all gung-ho about grabbing a GS4 GE on the 26th, but after iOS 7, I may end up saving that money to buy a 5S off contract (now that ATT has moved to the 24 month upgrade cycle like VZW, I'll do my best to not renew my contract).

Still leaning towards getting the GS4 and figuring out the 5S later, my 5 works just fine :p

But iOS 7 looks fantastic - way more excited this go around versus last year, and I actually like iOS 6.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I was pleasantly surprised by the changes--didn't add all the functionality I was hoping for but is better than I was expecting. And by the sounds of it, I'm in the minority but my first impressions of the design change are favorable--I'll reserve final judgement until I see it personally. Looking forward to using it on my iPad.

I switched my phone over to Android this year and while these changes aren't enough to bring me back to iOS on my phone (really like my HTC One), I'm optimistic for the possibility next year with iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 (assuming they offer a larger display option).

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Well said!!! If it were affordable I would have all of these devices as well. My wife who happens to be a Usability Engineer loves the WP8 UI....but will not buy it due to lack of app support. We're both fans of tech, but the cost of owning multiple smart phones is prohibitive for most people due to the policies of US carriers, so we need to pick just one. Being in a creative field, I'm a heavy Apple user...both work and home computers, plus Apple TV and iPad and up to now, iPhone, but I'm really starting to see some of the benefits of Android and am seriously considering going that way.

Understandable. I encourage people to try all platforms if they can and then make informed decisions.

Each platform has its benefits and downsides and you just have to find the common ground that works for you.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

I didn't forget that for a minute. But I am also not of the group that feels a 4" screen is absolutely trumped by anything bigger, ever. I honestly think Apple knocked it out of the park with this update. So many of the things that I jailbroke for are here with this release. In fact, I am not sure I can think of a reason to jailbreak after this update, expect maybe 5 icon dock, which is certainly something I could live without.

I honestly feel like nearly every iPhone running iOS7 is going to feel like a new phone. Apple needed a refresh, and they did it. Hats off to them, in my book anyway.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
It pushed me even farther from my iPhone 5.

Now I am more determined to get the nexus 5 or the next google experience device.

The rainbow mess and effects that Ive produced under the "ios is stale" pressure failed to impress me. I was ok with the "stale" looks, I wanted improved functionality with only very subtle aesthetic changes.

They didn't even bother to copy a jailbreak tweak directly this time.

I hate the way ios team is trying to appease the crowd that wants iPhone to be a carbon copy of android. So if I want android, I will buy an android phone.

Will see what ios 8 brings next year.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm gonna stick with iOS for 7. They addressed a lot of my complaints about iOS. Color palette aside I think it looks pretty good. We are still on beta 1 too so a lot can change.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
iOS 7 looks great, and it has more or less the exact added features I was expecting. Seriously, kudos to apple for both listening to their customers and stepping up their game.

That being said, I have the eyes of a 90 year old and I just can't enjoy using an iPhone again until they make one with a larger screen. If Apple released a phone that had a 5 inch or so screen I would go back to iPhones. I do use an iPad almost daily though, and I am looking forward to iOS 7 on that.

Some things about iOS 7 are a little weird to me, like the icons, but I think the (finally) added features make up for it. It's so insane that it took one of the richest companies in the world 7 generations of software to grasp the concept of a quick toggle pannel.

Honestly I don't think it looks like much of an Android rip off, and I use Android daily. Both platforms being able to do the same things doesn't mean one ripped the other off. They both have a slue of things they each did first, but the way they look and function is a little different on each platform. I'm kind of done with arguing over which OS is better since I enjoy both for different reasons.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Great update for the iOS devices I already have but not enough to make me switch OS's for my phone. iOS 7 coupled with whatever the next iphone is may push me to go back. We'll see.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I think iOS 7 looks great. It solved a whole host of complaints I've had with iOS for a while- the main one being the lack of quick toggles, everything else is gravy. Apple put on a really strong showing at WWDC, iOS 7 looks great, OS X Mavericks looks great, they unveiled the first major change in the appearance of one of their Mac lines since the PowerMac G5 (I can't think of any other major change, the PowerBook/early MacBook Pro to new MacBook Pro design was nowhere near as striking, nor was the white iMac to aluminium iMac) and have seemed to silence a few doubters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.