Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:42 PM   #1
FutureStan
macrumors member

New Macbook Air vs. Macbook Pro with Retina

Hello everyone!

My brother will be starting college this fall and I'm buying him a 13" Macbook as a gift, but I'm not sure which one I should get him. If Macbook Air, I'll be upgrading to 1.7GHz, 8GB RAM, and 512 GB SSD. And if rMBP, I'd get him the 13" 3.0 GHz and also 512 GB SSD.

As I said, he'll be going to college, so he'll probably be carrying it around a lot. Is the Macbook Air that much lighter than the rMBP? And is the rMBP's retina nice enough to warrant the extra weight? Also, I've been hearing concerns about the 13" rMBP performance. Is this a problem for the upgraded version as well?

Any insight would be really appreciated. Price is not an issue. I just want the better "fit" for a soon-to-be college student.
FutureStan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:53 PM   #2
iAppl3Fan
macrumors 6502a

He's lucky to have you as a brother. I would suggest you get him the MBA. The weight would be important since I'm sure he would be carrying books around. Besides, the extra battery performance would allow him to not have to look for a plug as often.
iAppl3Fan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 03:27 PM   #3
skowalski
macrumors newbie

Have a (now) 2 gen old 13" MBA. Just got a 13" rMBP. Tried it for a few days. For me, better screen was not worth the added weight.

Add in 802.11ac and 12 hr batter life and MBA is the clear winner - for my uses. I know someone who made the exact opposite choice because they will only use retina displays.

I don't watch tv or movies on the laptop, but that might be one factor.
skowalski is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 03:59 PM   #4
jjfcpa
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureStan View Post
Hello everyone!

My brother will be starting college this fall and I'm buying him a 13" Macbook as a gift, but I'm not sure which one I should get him. If Macbook Air, I'll be upgrading to 1.7GHz, 8GB RAM, and 512 GB SSD. And if rMBP, I'd get him the 13" 3.0 GHz and also 512 GB SSD.

As I said, he'll be going to college, so he'll probably be carrying it around a lot. Is the Macbook Air that much lighter than the rMBP? And is the rMBP's retina nice enough to warrant the extra weight? Also, I've been hearing concerns about the 13" rMBP performance. Is this a problem for the upgraded version as well?

Any insight would be really appreciated. Price is not an issue. I just want the better "fit" for a soon-to-be college student.
I bought a 2012 MBA 13", 8 gb RAM, and 512 gb SSD and thought that I would be happier with the 13" rMBP with pretty much the same configuration. What I found is that the MBA is just more appropriate for the mobile person than the 13" rMBP. The trade off in terms of speed is negligible and the retina - while nice - is not significant if you're not doing a lot of graphics. I still have both and rarely use the rMBP. Will be passing it down to one of my grandkids.
jjfcpa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:32 AM   #5
goldhunter
macrumors newbie

Well the Macbook Air and the Retina Macbook Pro does not have a huge difference in weight so theres not much of a difference when it comes to weight. 1.35kg vs 1.62kg (both 13") But the Macbook Air IS lighter so it would be slightly better.

Now the Retina is superfluous and not necessary if your brother is going off to college unless he is studying for Graphics Design, Art or anything that demands high pixels. The Macbook Air has a 1440 X 900 screen so its quite good.

You said you want to upgrade the processor of the MBA to i7 but it isn't really necessary unless if he takes Computer Science or stuff like that.

I'd say go for the Macbook Air.
goldhunter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:43 PM   #6
mchoffa
macrumors 6502

I actually came here to ask almost the same thing. I currently use a 2012 iMac 27" completely maxed out for work, but need a laptop for the occasional remote working. Basically Chrome/Safari, Coda 2 and open photoshop every once in a while.

My choices are:

new maxed out 13" air (1.7 i7, 8GB, 128SSD) for $1349

OR

15" rMBP on the refurb site (2.3 i7, 8GB, 256 SSD and the 1GB nVidia GPU) for $1599. Why that particular model is so much cheaper (23% off vs 15%) I don't know, but it's a good deal.

The SSD size doesn't matter since this is an extra machine for me, but the GPU and retina display make it look quite nice, and not sure how the 2.3 ivy bridge stacks up against 1.7 haswell

also 802.11ac would be a nice future proofing on the Air
mchoffa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Grove86
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hello everyone!

For the portability and battery life, 2013 MBA will be great. But if your brother plans to edit video/photos and run other strenuous programs, looking into MBP would be worth awhile. However, if you want the performance, skip the 13 inch MBP and go straight to 15''. Otherwise, MBA receives my vote.
Grove86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 01:59 PM   #8
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchoffa View Post
I actually came here to ask almost the same thing. I currently use a 2012 iMac 27" completely maxed out for work, but need a laptop for the occasional remote working. Basically Chrome/Safari, Coda 2 and open photoshop every once in a while.

My choices are:

new maxed out 13" air (1.7 i7, 8GB, 128SSD) for $1349

OR

15" rMBP on the refurb site (2.3 i7, 8GB, 256 SSD and the 1GB nVidia GPU) for $1599. Why that particular model is so much cheaper (23% off vs 15%) I don't know, but it's a good deal.

The SSD size doesn't matter since this is an extra machine for me, but the GPU and retina display make it look quite nice, and not sure how the 2.3 ivy bridge stacks up against 1.7 haswell

also 802.11ac would be a nice future proofing on the Air
I think it is the very first rMBP....a few months ago they did a small spec bump to the retina's and the refurbs were a great deal.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 02:30 PM   #9
safwanc
macrumors newbie

I'm actually debating between exactly the same two configurations myself. I briefly looked up the benchmarks and here's how they compare on GeekBench.

Spec wise they seem to be very close in terms of raw CPU performance but the rMBP comes out a bit better (expected, its 1.7GHz i7 vs 3.0 GHz i7). On the flip side, the MacBook Air may *feel* a bit more snappier due to the higher SSD read/write speed gains from moving to the PCIe architecture. Also, the rMBP is pushing 4x pixels with an Intel HD 4000 to support the retina display whereas the MacBook Air is pushing 1440x900 with the newer and better Intel HD 5000.

I think I'm going to end up going with the MacBook Air myself and I'd recommend the same for your brother.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 02:50 PM   #10
InlawBiker
macrumors regular

The last two PC's I bought were over-powered. I had a 6-core desktop (Windows) for running lots of VM's in web app development. Then I bought a quad core MB Pro. I figured, you may as well get more power just in case.

I was wrong. I hate carrying the MB Pro and I wish I had an Air. My advice is to not get caught up in the specs. If you're going to school and carrying your laptop around a lot I would get an Air every time, unless you simply know you need the extra horsepower.
InlawBiker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 02:55 PM   #11
messiry
macrumors member

I am in the same thing too, i went to apple store and i had both beside each other and WoooW!!! the retina display is just stunning!!! so for me a slight better performance, with a MUCH MUCH better display finished the confusion IMHO the rMBP 13" is better. i don't do games anyway so for everyday use i am sure i will enjoy this display.. and for the battery life, 7 hrs is ok for me and Mavericks should bring more to the rMBP,,, the Wifi 11ac, it will not see the light before a year or two, its still a pre standard anyway,, still many are adopting the Wifi 11n
messiry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:04 PM   #12
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Hello everyone!

Speaking form 6 yrs of lugging my computer to campus, get the 11 in. It will be a true godsend for his back!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:10 PM   #13
sick z33
macrumors 6502

Go with the Air
sick z33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:21 AM   #14
hkim1983
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hello everyone!

From a performance stand-point, the differences between the two machines is mostly negligible for what I imagine your brother will be doing, unless he happens to game a lot, do video encoding, or will be using engineering/mathematical programs.

I also feel that the weight difference between the two machines is also negligible, and it's worth noting that the Retina has the smaller footprint despite being immaterially heavier.

With that being said, if he doesn't plan on using an external monitor at school and will be doing a lot of reading (I imagine he will be), I think the Retina is the better option, although I would wait until they refresh the line if possible. While the Retina model looks better with pictures, colors, etc., to me the most important thing is that it will be easier on your eyes for long usage periods, and this is especially noticeable when you're reading on the screen during that time.

I'm also not sure how much he cares about this, but I also find that the keyboard and the trackpad are superior in quality over the Air models, although to be fair, I haven't played around with the '13 models yet. Sound quality through the speakers should also be better, but again, I haven't messed around with the '13 models, so that's based on '12 models.

This may/may not be relevant, but so far, they depreciate in value at about the same amounts.

If he's going to be using an external monitor however, with an external keyboard, then the argument for the Air is much stronger.
hkim1983 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:27 PM   #15
jwalter
macrumors newbie

What about macbook air versus macbook pro - non retina

Hi

Is the macbook air worth $420 more. Please look at these specs and tell me what you think?
MacBook Pro, 13-inch
Item Price: $1,179.00
. Hardware
•2.5GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
•8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
•750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
•SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
•Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
•Accessory Kit

Vs.

13-inch MacBook Air
Item Price: $1,609.00
Hardware
•1.3GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz
•8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
•512GB Flash Storage
•Accessory Kit
jwalter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 02:09 PM   #16
Grove86
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalter View Post
Hi

Is the macbook air worth $420 more. Please look at these specs and tell me what you think?
MacBook Pro, 13-inch
Item Price: $1,179.00
. Hardware
•2.5GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
•8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
•750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
•SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
•Accessory Kit

Vs.

13-inch MacBook Air
Item Price: $1,609.00
Hardware
•1.3GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz
•8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
•512GB Flash Storage
•Accessory Kit
How did you even arrive at that price for 13 inch MBP? With the spec you provided, it shows $1399 on the website. Also it may be more for for 13 MBA with 512 Flash as well.

Whatever the price difference may be, you need to think about the portability and the battery life that you gain from MBA.
Grove86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 02:13 PM   #17
InlawBiker
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalter View Post
Is the macbook air worth $420 more.
My opinion - no. But I'm frugal by nature. I don't see any point in spending more than $1200 on a laptop. Unless it's for business. My work laptop cost $2000 and it's worth every penny, but that's a different story.
InlawBiker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 09:04 PM   #18
FutureStan
macrumors member

Thanks for all the input guys!

I'm hoping they release the new Macbook Pro Retina soon, as I'm leaning towards that as of now. Does anyone know when the back to school offer starts? I'm sure he'll appreciate that iTunes gift card!
FutureStan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 09:09 PM   #19
falconeight

Don't listen to the less weight argument. Its .5 pounds heavier than the 13 MBA and it lasts for 7 hours easily. I sometimes can get close to 9 hours on mine.
falconeight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 09:16 PM   #20
gt94
macrumors member

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys!

I'm hoping they release the new Macbook Pro Retina soon, as I'm leaning towards that as of now. Does anyone know when the back to school offer starts? I'm sure he'll appreciate that iTunes gift card!
No one knows the date for BTS. And new rMPB may or may not be released alongside the sale. Again, no one really knows other than Apple.
gt94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:47 PM   #21
kahkityoong
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconeight View Post
Don't listen to the less weight argument. Its .5 pounds heavier than the 13 MBA.
Unless weight matters to you LOL. It does to me. 0.5 pounds makes a difference to what I can carry on a plane and on my outdoors activities. Don't assume everyone is you. So yes I think your advice is crap.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:07 PM   #22
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816

I wouldn't get the current year rMBP now if I were you. There are issues with lag that should be smoothed out with the new Haswell chipset, and much better battery life on the way to boot.

In any case, I think a Macbook Air would suit him just fine for college. Light but powerful enough to be his main computer, so long as he's not a big gamer. If he is, I'd wait for the updated rMBP.
thelookingglass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:41 PM   #23
falconeight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahkityoong View Post
Unless weight matters to you LOL. It does to me. 0.5 pounds makes a difference to what I can carry on a plane and on my outdoors activities. Don't assume everyone is you. So yes I think your advice is crap.
If .5 pounds is a serious issue then yes my advice was crap. My new advice would be to work out at least once a year.
falconeight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:58 PM   #24
zephonic
macrumors 6502a

I got my MBA 13" for Father's day, and although I was originally gonna exchange it for a (r)MBP, I think I'll keep it.

It geekbenches at 6082 (32bit) which is not too far from the rMBP (6614) and I get 8-10 hours of battery life.

Maybe I will trade up for the next-gen Haswell MBP, that will be one killer machine.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 01:00 AM   #25
fedecape
macrumors 6502

College? Carry around? Air
fedecape is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air