Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Joseph H
macrumors member

Thumbs down Where is "Up Next" in iOS 7 Music?

Please tell me I'm just dreaming they've left that out...

Not being able to queue songs on iPhone is hell!
Joseph H is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:03 AM   #2
brilliantthings
macrumors regular

Good point. Has anyone found it?
brilliantthings is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 04:17 AM   #3
tmanto02
macrumors 6502a

It is ridiculous huh! I expect some sort of synergy between apps like iTunes and the music app
tmanto02 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 04:19 AM   #4
recklesslife85
macrumors 6502

Next beta maybe? That and Quick Reply should come to iOS. Its stupid if they don't and shows Apples lack of imagination. Two simple things which would make iOS 7 way better which are offered on other Apple platforms.
recklesslife85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 05:39 AM   #5
pmontanarella
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph H View Post
Please tell me I'm just dreaming they've left that out...

Not being able to queue songs on iPhone is hell!
I was just thinking the exact the same thing! Hopefully in the GM... I would be very shocked if Apple decides to leave it out until possibly next year... I mean it's in iTunes and the Remote App on iOS shows that it can be managed on the iPhone (not to mention the iPad) just as easily as on the Mac.

Pietro
Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:00 AM   #6
pickaxe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklesslife85 View Post
Next beta maybe? That and Quick Reply should come to iOS. Its stupid if they don't and shows Apples lack of imagination. Two simple things which would make iOS 7 way better which are offered on other Apple platforms.
It's not lack of imagination, this has been the Apple (especially Jobsian Apple) way since forever. Leave some completely obvious features out and implement them later to increase sales and hype. Even if implementing them now is completely feasible. Apple has ALWAYS been implementing major iOS features based on current media reception (features they then proceed to tout as "innovative"). If major consumer tech sites start mentioning quick reply in the next few months I'm willing to bet good money that it'll be added in iOS 8.

And yes, I agree Up Next is one of the most obvious features and I'm really hoping it is coming.
pickaxe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 07:34 PM   #7
g35
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickaxe View Post
It's not lack of imagination, this has been the Apple (especially Jobsian Apple) way since forever. Leave some completely obvious features out and implement them later to increase sales and hype. Even if implementing them now is completely feasible. Apple has ALWAYS been implementing major iOS features based on current media reception (features they then proceed to tout as "innovative"). If major consumer tech sites start mentioning quick reply in the next few months I'm willing to bet good money that it'll be added in iOS 8.

And yes, I agree Up Next is one of the most obvious features and I'm really hoping it is coming.
You nailed it. They intro a commonsense feature and people start selling their old idevice to get the new idevice that mysteriously is the one idevice that can support the magical new software feature.
g35 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 07:55 PM   #8
lepeos
macrumors member

But we love it
lepeos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:47 PM   #9
ArcAngel66
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by g35 View Post
You nailed it. They intro a commonsense feature and people start selling their old idevice to get the new idevice that mysteriously is the one idevice that can support the magical new software feature.
I think is also largely has to do with their overall philosophy of making the user experience the most hassle free, "it just works", etc etc type experience.

Could siri technically be installed and work on older generation devices? Yeah, I'm pretty sure jailbroken devices could.

Could Apple implement all of the transparency and 3d-gyro effects on the older devices? Yeah (well, the ones with the gyro ).

But I'm assuming these would have an effect on performance. Maybe not huge in most cases, maybe worst in others... But regardless, it would change that experience those device owners have come to expect - the device they updated would then run slower after an "upgrade". I think Apple sees leaving these features out in two lights:

1) Yeah, it does entice people to upgrade to the newer model. Most people I know, however, don't upgrade their iPhone every year - this forum is an exception from that for the most part obviously.

2) If it was either ios7 transparency and slower performance, or no ios7 transparency and better performance, I personally think Apple tends to go with the latter. The perk of the new model is that is has the new feature, and is either the same, or better performance. There's no trade-off there.
ArcAngel66 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:54 AM   #10
Zimmy68
macrumors 6502a

Yep, your "Up Next" (which I love) was my crossfading battlecry the last few years.
Something easy to implement but they never do.

Luckily for me, there are apps that manage that now.
Unlucky for me, none work with Match but I expected as much.

Up Next would be so easy to implement. When you shuffle, I can almost guarantee the phone has a list of every song it is going to play.
I would love to click on an icon (arrow?) and have it bring up a streaming list of upcoming songs.
That would make walking the dog that much more enjoyable.
Zimmy68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:24 AM   #11
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by g35 View Post
You guys really think a feature like that will make someone drop their existing iOS 7 device to buy the new iOS 8 device.

LOL, this forum says funny things sometimes.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:10 AM   #12
pickaxe
macrumors 6502a

Because Maps Flyover is going to make people drop their old device?
Because Springboard wallpapers are going to make people drop their old device?

etc.

well apparently Apple thinks so.
pickaxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:15 AM   #13
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Quote:
Because Maps Flyover is going to make people drop their old device?
Because Springboard wallpapers are going to make people drop their old device?

etc.

well apparently Apple thinks so.
No, it's because that's how software evolves. They don't hold back features to sell devices. Anybody that believes that just buys into the conspiracy theory and has never worked in a company that has developed hardware/software.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:41 PM   #14
Joseph H
macrumors member

Pathetic this didn't make the OS update. It should be implemented and sync the play queues for people with iTunes Match.
Joseph H is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:52 PM   #15
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmy68 View Post
Yep, your "Up Next" (which I love) was my crossfading battlecry the last few years.
Something easy to implement but they never do.

Luckily for me, there are apps that manage that now.
What apps do you use? I used to use OnQue but it became buggy to the point where it wasn't usable.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2013, 09:48 PM   #16
jhnnyby
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
What apps do you use? I used to use OnQue but it became buggy to the point where it wasn't usable.
Cyueue is the best thing for music listeners on iOS. I'm waiting for it to work with iOS 7 before upgrading and jailbreaking from iOS 6. hands down top 3 reasons to jailbreak your device
jhnnyby is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7