Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Please tell me I'm just dreaming they've left that out... :mad:

Not being able to queue songs on iPhone is hell!

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
Next beta maybe? That and Quick Reply should come to iOS. Its stupid if they don't and shows Apples lack of imagination. Two simple things which would make iOS 7 way better which are offered on other Apple platforms.

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Please tell me I'm just dreaming they've left that out... :mad:

Not being able to queue songs on iPhone is hell!

I was just thinking the exact the same thing! Hopefully in the GM... I would be very shocked if Apple decides to leave it out until possibly next year... I mean it's in iTunes and the Remote App on iOS shows that it can be managed on the iPhone (not to mention the iPad) just as easily as on the Mac.

Pietro

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Next beta maybe? That and Quick Reply should come to iOS. Its stupid if they don't and shows Apples lack of imagination. Two simple things which would make iOS 7 way better which are offered on other Apple platforms.

It's not lack of imagination, this has been the Apple (especially Jobsian Apple) way since forever. Leave some completely obvious features out and implement them later to increase sales and hype. Even if implementing them now is completely feasible. Apple has ALWAYS been implementing major iOS features based on current media reception (features they then proceed to tout as "innovative"). If major consumer tech sites start mentioning quick reply in the next few months I'm willing to bet good money that it'll be added in iOS 8.

And yes, I agree Up Next is one of the most obvious features and I'm really hoping it is coming.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
It's not lack of imagination, this has been the Apple (especially Jobsian Apple) way since forever. Leave some completely obvious features out and implement them later to increase sales and hype. Even if implementing them now is completely feasible. Apple has ALWAYS been implementing major iOS features based on current media reception (features they then proceed to tout as "innovative"). If major consumer tech sites start mentioning quick reply in the next few months I'm willing to bet good money that it'll be added in iOS 8.

And yes, I agree Up Next is one of the most obvious features and I'm really hoping it is coming.

You nailed it. They intro a commonsense feature and people start selling their old idevice to get the new idevice that mysteriously is the one idevice that can support the magical new software feature.

ArcAngel66

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2009
You nailed it. They intro a commonsense feature and people start selling their old idevice to get the new idevice that mysteriously is the one idevice that can support the magical new software feature.

I think is also largely has to do with their overall philosophy of making the user experience the most hassle free, "it just works", etc etc type experience.

Could siri technically be installed and work on older generation devices? Yeah, I'm pretty sure jailbroken devices could.

Could Apple implement all of the transparency and 3d-gyro effects on the older devices? Yeah (well, the ones with the gyro :p).

But I'm assuming these would have an effect on performance. Maybe not huge in most cases, maybe worst in others... But regardless, it would change that experience those device owners have come to expect - the device they updated would then run slower after an "upgrade". I think Apple sees leaving these features out in two lights:

1) Yeah, it does entice people to upgrade to the newer model. Most people I know, however, don't upgrade their iPhone every year - this forum is an exception from that for the most part obviously.

2) If it was either ios7 transparency and slower performance, or no ios7 transparency and better performance, I personally think Apple tends to go with the latter. The perk of the new model is that is has the new feature, and is either the same, or better performance. There's no trade-off there.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Yep, your "Up Next" (which I love) was my crossfading battlecry the last few years.
Something easy to implement but they never do.

Luckily for me, there are apps that manage that now.
Unlucky for me, none work with Match but I expected as much.

Up Next would be so easy to implement. When you shuffle, I can almost guarantee the phone has a list of every song it is going to play.
I would love to click on an icon (arrow?) and have it bring up a streaming list of upcoming songs.
That would make walking the dog that much more enjoyable.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

You guys really think a feature like that will make someone drop their existing iOS 7 device to buy the new iOS 8 device.

LOL, this forum says funny things sometimes.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Because Maps Flyover is going to make people drop their old device?
Because Springboard wallpapers are going to make people drop their old device?

etc.

well apparently Apple thinks so.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Because Maps Flyover is going to make people drop their old device?
Because Springboard wallpapers are going to make people drop their old device?

etc.

well apparently Apple thinks so.

No, it's because that's how software evolves. They don't hold back features to sell devices. Anybody that believes that just buys into the conspiracy theory and has never worked in a company that has developed hardware/software.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Pathetic this didn't make the OS update. It should be implemented and sync the play queues for people with iTunes Match. :mad:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Yep, your "Up Next" (which I love) was my crossfading battlecry the last few years.
Something easy to implement but they never do.

Luckily for me, there are apps that manage that now.

What apps do you use? I used to use OnQue but it became buggy to the point where it wasn't usable.

jhnnyby

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
What apps do you use? I used to use OnQue but it became buggy to the point where it wasn't usable.

Cyueue is the best thing for music listeners on iOS. I'm waiting for it to work with iOS 7 before upgrading and jailbreaking from iOS 6. hands down top 3 reasons to jailbreak your device

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.