Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:19 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS 7 Beta Tidbits: Per-App Cellular Data Usage, Live Clock Icon, Panoramic Wallpaper and More

While the most obvious change in iOS 7 is the look and feel of the user interface, Apple's engineers have packed the update with numerous changes both big and small.

Here are a selection of changes noticed by folks in the MacRumors Forums and elsewhere.

Cellular Data Tracking by App - In Settings / Cellular, users can track cellular data usage on a per-app basis. Apps can have their cellular data access disabled individually as well.

Update Apps Manually - The App Store now updates apps automatically, but for users who prefer to handle things themselves, automatic updates can be disabled via a slider in Settings / iTunes & App Stores.

How to Get to Spotlight - Spotlight is now accessible from the home screen by swiping down from the middle of the screen. Additionally, in Settings / General / Spotlight Search, users can manually turn search result categories on and off, as well as change the order results are presented in.

Live Clock Icon - The clock icon provides the correct time, including a live second hand. The weather app does not update -- it is always partly cloudy.

Newsstand Has Permanent Icon - Newsstand's icon remains the same regardless of what publications are inside it. The app itself works similarly, though the design is substantially different. Newsstand can now be put inside a folder as well.

App Permission for Microphone Access - Apps are now required to ask permission to access the microphone, similar to how apps currently ask to access location data or the camera.

Multitasking Switcher Works in Landscape - The app switcher works in landscape mode. Double-tap the home button to access. Control Center can also be used in landscape. Apps can also be manually quit by swiping up, and multiple apps can be closed at the same time.

Skips in iTunes Radio - iTunes Radio listeners get 6 skips per station, regardless of if they are on the ad-supported or ad-free versions of the service. It is believed that the skips reset each hour.

Parallax Everywhere - As part of the new 'layers' user interface that Jony Ive has built, nearly everything in the interface subtly shifts to give the UI depth when the phone is moved -- wallpaper, pop-up alerts, notification bubbles and more.

Dynamic Wallpaper - Apple includes two 'dynamic' wallpaper images by default. These images have subtle animated bubble shapes floating around the background. We'll likely hear more about these going forward.

Panoramic Wallpaper - In addition to the dynamic wallpaper, users can also set panoramic images as wallpaper -- instead of the subtle parallax image shift shown in the keynote, tilting the phone pans around the image. The stuttering in the video below is due to capture method -- on the iPhone, it pans smoothly.

iPhone 4 is Responsive - One forum member who installed iOS 7 on the iPhone 4 said the device was as responsive as under iOS 6, though many of the UI graphics trickery is disabled.

'Mark All' in Mail.app - Users can now mark all messages as read in Mail.app.

Share Passes - Passbook passes can be shared via iMessage or email.

Navigation has Automatic Day/Night Mode - When viewing turn-by-turn directions, Maps automatically switches from day to night mode using both the current time and ambient light sensor to judge which is more appropriate.

Dynamic Font Size - Users can select a system-wide font size for apps that support 'Dynamic Type' in Settings / General / Text Size.

FaceTime Gets Own App - FaceTime has been spun out into its own app on the iPhone. Previously, it was built into the Phone app.

Reminder Alerts Have More Options - Pop-up alerts from the Reminders app now offer options to 'Remind me in 15 minutes', 'Mark as Completed', 'View Reminder', or to simply close the notification.

There are many more changes that will likely be discovered over the next few months as the iOS 7 beta continues, and there is a growing thread on the MacRumors Forums detailing them.

Article Link: iOS 7 Beta Tidbits: Per-App Cellular Data Usage, Live Clock Icon, Panoramic Wallpaper and More
MacRumors is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:21 PM   #2
ECUPeeDee14
Banned

Just add quick reply and I would be happy.
ECUPeeDee14 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:22 PM   #3
mattwallace24
macrumors regular

Still can't believe Apple can't get the Weather app icon to show the correct forecast/temp. Seems like a no-brainer.
mattwallace24 is offline   43 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:22 PM   #4
dmunz
macrumors regular

Well the cellular data by app sounds cool.

FWIW
DLM
dmunz is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:22 PM   #5
needfx
macrumors 68000

enter the newsstand haters
needfx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:24 PM   #6
shiny01
macrumors newbie

Wow. Cellular data tracking by app? Didnt notice that one. Very cool.

Anyone figure out how to find the old voicememo's yet?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:25 PM   #7
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a

I quite like it all.

It's like Windows Phone 7 and WebOS had a baby, but Johhny Ive raised it as his own.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:26 PM   #8
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Awesome. Apple has its mojo again. Even in the keynote, they seem so confident.

However, lets first witness the forum users first heavily scrutinise the new design, then mock it, then accuse apple of copying Samsung.
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   36 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:27 PM   #9
cube
macrumors G3

Can the automatic update be set to WiFi only? Otherwise, it's begging to be disabled.
cube is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:27 PM   #10
brookshanes
macrumors member

parallax

The notification symbols are on a different parallax layer compared to the app icons they qualify. There are several layers I keep on discovering.
brookshanes is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:28 PM   #11
baller1308
macrumors 6502a

I was looking for Spotlight. Wish it would populate results with me having to hit Search.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:29 PM   #12
troop231
macrumors 601

Hoping Apple adds a darker black theme, the white keyboard is really throwing off my typing accuracy and speed. The whole OS has too much white IMO.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:29 PM   #13
wigby
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Can the automatic update be set to WiFi only? Otherwise, it's begging to be disabled.
You can choose on the current iOS and you will have option to manually update in iOS 7.
wigby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:30 PM   #14
Jack97
macrumors regular

the more I hear about iOS 7, the more I like it
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:31 PM   #15
cube
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigby View Post
You can choose on the current iOS and you will have option to manually update in iOS 7.
You did not answer the question.
cube is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:31 PM   #16
2bikes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny01 View Post
Wow. Cellular data tracking by app? Didnt notice that one. Very cool.

Anyone figure out how to find the old voicememo's yet?
I have read somewhere that the beta does not include voicememos.
2bikes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:31 PM   #17
TimeSquareDesi
macrumors regular

iOS 7 looks awesome from the little I've seen so far.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:34 PM   #18
ashowkati
macrumors member

Any word on if notification banners still block your back button. Can anyone post a screen of one? Super-curious about that.
ashowkati is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:34 PM   #19
eoblaed
macrumors regular

Anyone know if the music player lets you queue up songs to play? (much like the newer itunes and it's 'up next' feature)
eoblaed is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:36 PM   #20
neuropsychguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yes. I believe you can also set it so that it only occurs on WiFi and if charging.
neuropsychguy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:38 PM   #21
Piggie
macrumors 601

Still makes me sooooooo sad we have to press a "popper button that wears out" twice just to get to this stuff

When or when are they going to get rid of that horrid thing?
The exact same tech that was used in a 1979 Atari Joystick.

iPhone4
http://www.replacebase.co.uk/ekmps/s...ginal-53-p.png

1979 Atari
http://www.robotroom.com/Joystick/AtariPCB.jpg
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:38 PM   #22
Patriot24
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yes. Settings > iTunes & App Stores > Use Cellular Data

"Use cellular network for automatic downloads, iTunes Match, and iTunes Radio."

Seems like it would be better if those three options were broken out into specific toggles, or at least one for automatic downloads and one for Match/Radio.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:39 PM   #23
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwallace24 View Post
Still can't believe Apple can't get the Weather app icon to show the correct forecast/temp. Seems like a no-brainer.
What happens when you don't have connection? It will start showing an incorrect forecast. Better to be a generic icon than an unreliable one. Clock or calendar obviously does not have the same dependance on internet connection.
theBB is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:40 PM   #24
DipDog3
macrumors 6502a

I need Cellular Data Tracking by App NOW.

I have some rogue app sucking up my cellular data, I had to disable cellular data just so I wouldn't go over my plan.

We can assume from the iTunes Radio skip limits that Apple is having to pay for songs even if we don't listen to them... This is stupid, why reward artists that we don't like?

Interactive Phone - Try out the new Virtual iPhone 5s (Download Code @ RedRome.com)
DipDog3 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 01:41 PM   #25
jcb10
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
enter the newsstand haters
Ahem. (Clears throat.)

"Newsstand can now be put inside a folder as well."

YAY!

Can we delete stocks now?
jcb10 is offline   12 Reply With Quote