Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:37 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

OS X Mavericks Tidbits: System Requirements, Redesigned Activity Monitor, App Battery Monitoring, and More

At yesterday's Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple unveiled its next generation operating system, OS X Mavericks. While Mavericks incorporates a number of significant changes like a redesigned Finder, a Safari overhaul, and new Compressed Memory settings, there are also a number of other, smaller changes that MacRumors forum readers and other sources have unearthed.

AppNap Settings - AppNap, which is designed to conserve battery by sending apps into a hibernation mode, can be disabled on a per app basis by developers.

New Activity Monitor - The Activity Monitor has been redesigned, offering new charts and graphs that show bytes/packets sent/received. It also includes a new energy tab that shows the energy impact of apps and includes a built-in system diagnostics tool.

Design Updates - Along with some app redesigns, Apple has removed much of the linen look that was introduced with Mountain Lion. Both Dashboard and the log-in screen have a new background. Launchpad folders also have a new translucent background, and Mavericks users will notice new fade in and fade out behaviors. Finally, Finder selections have new rounded corners and the dock has a new look.

Notification Center - The standard gray linen background has been removed from Notification Center, in favor of a plain, dark background. Notification Center also includes a new Messages sharing option, allowing users to send messages without opening the app. It functions similarly to current Facebook and Twitter integration.

Battery Status - The Battery dropdown menu has received a new category in Mavericks, displaying apps that are using a significant amount of power.

Offline Dictation - Mavericks introduces a new "Enhanced Dictation" feature that allows users to use dictation without an internet connection. It also includes live feedback, which displays input before the enter key is pressed. The setting includes a 785MB download to enable the feature.

Automatic App Updates - Automatic app updates are a new iOS 7 feature that has also been introduced to OS X with Mavericks. With this setting enabled, Mac App Store updates will be automatically installed in the background.

LinkedIn Integration - OS X Mavericks includes native LinkedIn support.

Do Not Disturb - While the Mac Notification Center already has a Do Not Disturb setting, Mavericks adds a new timer option that lets users schedule set times for the feature to be activated, similar to how the setting functions in iOS.

Open GL 4 - Apple has updated OpenGL support in Mavericks and the OS will be available with the Open GL 4.1 Core Profile for Macs that support the feature.

Text Shortcuts - Text shortcuts that were previously only available on iOS have been added with Mavericks. For example, "omw" is replaced with "On my way!" as in iOS.

Skeuomorphism - While the Notes and Calendar apps have been redesigned with a new interface that removes some of the previous skeuomorphic design elements, Messages, Reminders, and Game Center have not been updated with a new design.

The redesigned Notes app
iCloud Folder - Finder has a new iCloud folder, which displays documents that are stored in the cloud.

iBooks Store - On its website, Apple has begun referring to the iBookstore as the "iBooks Store", which may be indicative of an upcoming branding change.

System Requirements - According to AppleInsider, Mavericks will run on most machines that are capable of running Mountain Lion, including some systems dating back to 2007. Notably, all MacBook Airs after late 2008 can run the software, as well as mid/late 2007 15-inch MacBook Pros, mid-2009 or later 13-inch Pros, and late 2007 or later 17-inch Pros.

These are just a small fraction of the numerous changes that will likely be introduced with OS X Mavericks. Additional updates to the beta software will undoubtedly include even more new features, which are being noted in a thread on the MacRumors forums.

Apple made OS X Mavericks available for developers yesterday. While there is no current expected public release date, the final version of OS X Mavericks is expected in the fall.

Article Link: OS X Mavericks Tidbits: System Requirements, Redesigned Activity Monitor, App Battery Monitoring, and More
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:40 PM   #2
needfx
macrumors 68020

safari should stop trolling my battery
needfx is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:40 PM   #3
ECUPeeDee14
Banned

Support for machines from 2007 is pretty impressive.
ECUPeeDee14 is offline   38 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:41 PM   #4
wabbit42
macrumors regular

Hope for the old 2009 Mac mini upgrade wise? That would be nice when I eventually upgrade the HDD
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:42 PM   #5
Nermal

Thumb resize.

There's a truck next to Dropbox. Has Apple finally given us a new version of Font/DA Mover?

Nermal is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:42 PM   #6
RoboCop001
macrumors 65816

Offline Dictation:
"The setting includes a 785MB download to enable the feature"

Hmm... would that be the same size (or perhaps more?) if iOS contained offline Siri? I mean for the commands that make sense to be offline, anyway. Maybe that's another reason why they still don't have it offline, to save some space? That's relatively a lot of lost space on a mobile device.

Anyway, definitely looking forward to Mavericks! And iOS 7! (despite some of the icons lol)
RoboCop001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:44 PM   #7
iThinkIt
macrumors regular

I just need one to run three very large screen tv at one time...
iThinkIt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Ventilatedbrain
macrumors regular

You could sense in the keynote and even see it in Tims face.. Apple is definitely going full force and I couldnt help but smile for for most part..

A little confession
I even clapped when I saw the iOS 7 vid even though I was home alone
Ventilatedbrain is offline   36 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Jacquesvw
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCop001 View Post
Offline Dictation:
"The setting includes a 785MB download to enable the feature"

Hmm... would that be the same size (or perhaps more?) if iOS contained offline Siri? I mean for the commands that make sense to be offline, anyway. Maybe that's another reason why they still don't have it offline, to save some space? That's relatively a lot of lost space on a mobile device.

Anyway, definitely looking forward to Mavericks! And iOS 7! (despite some of the icons lol)
Siri cannot be offline because processing of your speech is done server side. It's impractical to make "her" offline, because doing it server side make her smarter and apple can make updates without requiring you to download something, same story with Maps.
Jacquesvw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:45 PM   #10
pezj
macrumors member

Looking forward to getting 5 inches deep in this new OS
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:45 PM   #11
Patriot24
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Do Not Disturb - While the Mac Notification Center already has a Do Not Disturb setting, Mavericks adds a new timer option that lets users schedule set times for the feature to be activated, similar to how the setting functions in iOS.
Does this control audio output as well?

Ideally, I would like to set it to enable in the evening so that my computer isn't squawking in the middle of the night if I forget to hit mute before I walk away for the evening.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:45 PM   #12
needfx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Thumb resize.

There's a truck next to Dropbox. Has Apple finally given us a new version of Font/DA Mover?

hover the mouse over it.. oh wait
needfx is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:46 PM   #13
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

Why is the OS name plural anyway? OS X releases have always had singular names... Tiger, Panther, Lion, Leopard, etc... now... Mavericks?

OS X Maverick would have sounded nicer.

Also, moving from felines to livestock? Kind of a downgrade I think...
zorinlynx is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:46 PM   #14
pancakedrawer
macrumors regular

Very pleased that my mid 2007 MBP can run this. I've seen no reason to upgrade as she still runs smoothly.
pancakedrawer is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:47 PM   #15
RoboCop001
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquesvw View Post
Siri cannot be offline because processing of your speech is done server side.
Same thing. Without the download, OS X Mavericks sends your speech to the server. But this download would grant your Mac the software that the server uses to process the speech.
RoboCop001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:47 PM   #16
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
Thumb resize.

That truck is put there by an app, Transmit.

It's a rather excellent (IMHO) FTP/SFTP client.
zorinlynx is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:47 PM   #17
Slix
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
Why is the OS name plural anyway? OS X releases have always had singular names... Tiger, Panther, Lion, Leopard, etc... now... Mavericks?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mavericks_(location)
Apple said the new naming scheme will be places that inspire them from California.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:48 PM   #18
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
Quote:

They should name it after waves. OS X Jaws. That would be cool.

Mavericks sounds like a winner.
juanm is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:48 PM   #19
macnerd93
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Mavericks is the name of a place in Northern California popular with surfers and what not.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:49 PM   #20
ScholarsInk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboCop001 View Post
Same thing. Without the download, OS X Mavericks sends your speech to the server. But this download would grant your Mac the software that the server uses to process the speech.
I wonder if that means a similar download might come to iOS for the purely offline Siri tasks. Unlikely, I suppose.
ScholarsInk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:50 PM   #21
evil89
macrumors newbie

Having a Macbook Unibody was a wise choice. Since when I bought it, I used 4 OS X versions and now I'm waiting for the fifth. With a marvelous 4 hour of battery capacity.
evil89 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:52 PM   #22
newdeal
macrumors 68000

I am far more pumped for this OS release that anything in the last long time. I really feel like this release is hitting it out of the park. If the battery savings from Mavericks are good I wish they said what the battery life was on the 13" air on Mavericks vs. Mountain Lion
newdeal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:53 PM   #23
pure3d2
macrumors 6502

Does the battery status icon still not show the time remaining? It used to put the remaining time inside the battery status icon, but they took that away in Mountain Lion.
pure3d2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:53 PM   #24
Baklava
macrumors 6502a

How does Contacts look like??
Old Jun 11, 2013, 02:54 PM   #25
Goftrey
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUPeeDee14 View Post
Support for machines from 2007 is pretty impressive.
I wouldn't call it impressive. I think people were just sat on the edge of their seats after the 2008 MBA & 1,1 cutoff last year.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion